Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Main vs Guest Network Speed difference

OB__
Initiate

Orbi Main vs Guest Network Speed difference

Hi wondering if anyone has noticed the same issue I am having and knows of a solution.

I have guest network enabled and  for some reason the guest network has faster download and upload speeds and less latency than the main ssid?

Main

Download around 90

Upload around 15

Latency around 15ms

Download around 300

Guest around 20

Latency around 12ms

Any suggestions appreciated!

Thx

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

Message 2 of 7
OB__
Initiate

Just got the system

Updated both the Orbi Router and Satellite to the latest firmware.

Sagem f3284dc, as it has wifi built in and as there was some conflicts with some pages not being accessible even after setting the NG ip in the DNZ and passthrough and it still not working the router is now set in Bridge mode.

Orbi system is operating in Router mode.

After some more testing the speed seems to vary A LOT on both the regular SSID and the guest SSID.

E.g. last night it was 130Mbps, this morning had a hard time hitting 25, later around 80 all this without there being more devices connected and without any additional networks in the area that might crowd up airspace.

Let me know if you need any more details.

Thx

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok as long as the ISP modem is in bridge mode you'll be fine there.

What are the wired LAN cable speeds with a PC? 

What wireless devices are you using to speed test? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 4 of 7
Mojo_Jojo
Initiate

I have the same problems recently.  My main network crawls over wireless (<1Mbps) but if I switch to the guest network it is >35Mbps.  

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 7
Mojo_Jojo
Initiate

Just to add a little more.  I have updated the router to the latest firmware as of this posting (2.3.1.60) and the problem still exists after the update.  The performance difference is seen from the same machine at the same location in my house, I'm just switching from my main orbi wireless to the guest network. 

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed yet since the update?

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What are the wired LAN cable speeds with a PC? 

What wireless devices are you using to speed test? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? 
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? 

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@Mojo_Jojo wrote:

Just to add a little more.  I have updated the router to the latest firmware as of this posting (2.3.1.60) and the problem still exists after the update.  The performance difference is seen from the same machine at the same location in my house, I'm just switching from my main orbi wireless to the guest network. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7