Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RB50 IPV6 when connected to an ISP modem

Jubijub
Aspirant

Orbi RB50 IPV6 when connected to an ISP modem

My questions : 

• Does the Orbi router support IPV6 properly ? 
  • How to configure it with a BT Hub 6 (I'm in UK)

Context : 

• My ISP is BT Infinity, and they provided me a BT Hub gen 6
  • When connecting to the wifi from the BT Hub 6
    • my devices get both an IPV4 and an IPV6
    • IPV6 is functional, and http://ipv6-test.com/ shows IPV6 support
  • When connecting to the ORBI wifi
  • I tried both router mode and access point mode
    • in routeur mode the IPV6 setup page is a bit dodgy, as auto-detect doesn't always report the same type of IPV6 config (sometimes it detects passthrough, sometimes 6to4

Firmware : latest, I updated it yesterday.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

There is a IPv6 enable check box that needs to be enabled on the Orbi router. However since you already have a router upstream, it will be up to howe the modem/router is configured and the Orbi configuration that may impact how IPv6 works on the Orib.

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

Your best option maybe #2 or #3.

Message 2 of 4
Jubijub
Aspirant

Thanks for taking the time !

Option 1 is out, not possible on this modem-router version

Option 2 and 3 I tried, none worked... which is my problem

Currently my setup is Option 3, and I guarantee no device ever get an IPV6 address...

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

I presume that the Orbi needs to have a full on public IPv6 address on it's WAN port to take advantage of IPv6. When in AP mode though, IPv6 should just pass through the Orbi router from the modem i presume. Connect the Orbi router on it's LAN port to the ISP modems LAN port and see for #3...

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7