× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK 53 wrong firmware

TRT1
Aspirant

Orbi RBK 53 wrong firmware

My RBK53 is currently running 2.7.0.70. This is apparently a USA only version of firmware, but I live in Australia. How do I switch to the international version?

I see that the 2.7.0.70 version has been updated, but can't update it on my system, either auto or manually.

tony

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
TRT1
Aspirant

Updated to latest firmware: 2.7.2.104. Seems now that no separate USA-only version exists, the update process works smoothly.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 12

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Download the RBS and RBR files from here on a wired PC:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-6-1-40/m-p/1997895/highlight/tr...

IF the RBS is connected to the RBR, it's best to first connect a wired PC to the RBS and log in to the RBS web page using a web browser and send the FW file here. 

Then connect the wired PC to the RBR and do same thing.

Factory reset the RBS first by pressing the reset button for 15 seconds then release. Soon after, do same thing on RBR. 
Setup from scratch. RBS and RBR should on v2.6 version of FW. 

Message 2 of 12
TRT1
Aspirant

Thanks FURRYe38 for that. But I'm a bit of a novice with these things so would appreciate some more guidance.

I have RBR50 wired to iMac. RBS is connected to RBR by WiFi.

I have downloaded the RBR & RBS files to iMac

So...

I disconnect from internet & bring RBS to iMac & plug it into internet port? (First activate WiFi on iMac?)
How do I then log into RBS web page & send FW there? Are you referring to login.com Firmware Update web page?

Apologies for my lack of understanding here.

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

@TRT1 wrote:

Thanks FURRYe38 for that. But I'm a bit of a novice with these things so would appreciate some more guidance.

I have RBR50 wired to iMac. RBS is connected to RBR by WiFi.

I have downloaded the RBR & RBS files to iMac

So...

I disconnect from internet & bring RBS to iMac & plug it into internet port? (First activate WiFi on iMac?) 

Try this first, Connect to the RBS web page while your iMac is connected to the RBR. I recommend using a wired connection. Find the IP address of the RBS on the RBRs web page. 

How do I then log into RBS web page & send FW there?

Use same log in info as you use on the RBR to log into the RBS web page.

Are you referring to login.com Firmware Update web page?

Apologies for my lack of understanding here.

Message 4 of 12
TRT1
Aspirant

Well... spent a couple of hours trying to do this. At first it seemed to work but then the system re-updated back to 2.7.0.70

Not sure what to do now??

Guess Netgeat must have granted me US residency?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

You can try this:

"1) Go to Advanced, Security, Block Sites and add the following sites.
http.fw.updates1.netgear.com
updates1.netgear.com
downloads.netgear.com
Kept digging on this and learned the following:
TCP port 443 (HTTPS): http.fw.updates1.netgear.com
TCP port 21 (FTP): updates1.netgear.com
I believe those two are all that's necessary to block. Orbi tries HTTPS first, then FTP."
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-auto-update-domain/m-p/1499659/highlight/true#M22873

To do this right, you would first need to downgrade the RBS and RBR back to v2.6. Reset and this time, setup the RBR from scratch while it's disconnected from the ISP services/modem/ONT. Or disconnect the RBR from the modem services before you update. Once you have completed the RBR setup wizard, go in and set these block site configurations on the RBR. Once you have it all entered in and saved. Reboot the RBR, when the RBR reboots, plug in the RBR back with the ISP services, modem or ONT. This should block the update from happening...

Message 6 of 12
TRT1
Aspirant

Updated to latest firmware: 2.7.2.104. Seems now that no separate USA-only version exists, the update process works smoothly.

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, I was told by NG that v104 is for everyone. 

Message 8 of 12
TRT1
Aspirant

Thanks for the help. At least I now feel better about diving into manual updates.
Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll be fine with manual updates, use a wired PC and either use IE11, Edge or Firefox for doing the udpate. 

I've been doing manual FW udpate for years. No problems with it. 

I recommnend a full power OFF for 30 seconds of the RBS and RBR after the FW is fully processed by the units then back ON with the RBR first then RBS lastly. I haven't seen any issues using this process. Some have seen odd issues so as last resort, a factory reset maybe needed.

Be sure to make a backup configuration to file for safe keeping after the new FW is loaded and the system is tested as working well. Saves time if a reset is needed later on. 

Good Luck.  

@TRT1 wrote:
Thanks for the help. At least I now feel better about diving into manual updates.

Message 10 of 12
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

You'll be fine with manual updates, use a wired PC and either use IE11, Edge or Firefox for doing the udpate. 

I've been doing manual FW udpate for years. No problems with it. 

the truth is your mileage may vary.  

Message 11 of 12
BoilerPlate
Apprentice

The truth is your mileage may vary. >vajim. User beware. Smiley Sad

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation