Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK20

LoboTommy
Luminary

Orbi RBK20

Seems like the Orbi RBK20 is not a valid model in this forum...
I have 1 RBK20 router and 3xRBS20 satellites wifi backhouled.
Setup is fibernetwork 500/500Mbps, fibermodem bridged, and Orbi RBK as main router.

Everything seems to work perfectly, except the kid complaint that he is continiuously kicked out of his games on the PS4. The PS4 is connected to one of the RBS20ies with cable.

Anybody know how to fix this?
Message 1 of 7
ekhalil
Master

I think there is a package called RBK20 (1x RBR20 + 1x RBS20). Yoir setup is called RBK24 (1x RBR20 + 3x RBS20).

Regarding the issue with frequent disconnetions in the wired PS4:

- Do you use wired or wireless backhaul? That is, are the satellites wired to the router or connected wirelessly?

- Do you see that the satellite (where the PS4 is connected to) looses the connectivity with the router? You can monitor the app or the web GUI. Also the ring on top of the Satellite should tell.

- Do you have any other wired devices connected to any of the satellites or the router? What type of other wired devices do you have? Any mesh speakers (e.g. Sonos)?

Message 2 of 7
LoboTommy
Luminary

Ok. It bought it as a Rbk20 (1 Rbk20 and 1 Rbs20 satelite), then later bought two rbs20 satellites separately.
Then I guess my setup has a new name.

The satellites are all currently connected wireless backhaul (although I plan to wire the one for the ps4).

The ps4 satelites has excellent health in connection, and the satelite itself doesn't drop out. Kid has also connected a laptop to it (wirless), and monitored the intenret connection over several hours to check. It didn't loose connection.
Problem seem to be only at the PS4 unit.

I have one other wires device, my main desktop computer, but that is wired to a different satellite. I do not get any issues there. I connect to work via VPN, and it's rather sensitive- so connection losses would disconnect me from work server. I do not have these issues.

All devices connected are:
3x Samsung s8
1 iPhone 6
1 Sony experience
3 iPad
2 Chromecast
1 desktop computer
3 laptops
1 canon printer
1 ps4
Message 3 of 7
ekhalil
Master

- Do you see similar disconnections if connecting the PS4 wirelessly? Have you tried that?

- Can this be caused by a bad cable? Have you tried another cable? Please try a cat5e or cat6 cable.

The current Orbi software 2.2.1.210 seems to have issues with wired devices in general, as I can see in the reported issues in this forum. If you get an acceptable performance with wireless connection then please use that temprorarly until -hopefully- this issue is fixed soon.

Message 4 of 7
LoboTommy
Luminary

I have not tried the ps4 wireless. I'll give it a go tomorrow. Kid prefers it cables though, as he has the first release of ps4 - doesn't support 5ghz network.
Cable has been changed though. Was a Cat6, and is a new cat6 now. Same issues.

So, I'll have him try wireless, then if successful- he will have to choose crappy speed but stable wirless, or fast network with kicks from games....
Message 5 of 7
randomousity
Luminary

Maybe try connecting the PS4 to a different port on the satellite? It's possible there's an issue with the port, as opposed to the cable. Also, are there any other devices wired to that satellite? Since you have multiple satellites, you could try swapping the one by the PS4 with one of the other ones. Just to see if it's an issue with that particular satellite.

Also, do you have any funny settings on the Orbi? Blocked services or sites, port forwarding, static routes, etc? Any IP address conflicts (i.e., two devices being assigned the same IP, whether through DHCP, statically, or some combination thereof)? Is UPnP enabled or disabled? Do you use your ISP's provided DNS servers, or have you manually configured them? If you use your ISP's DNS, you could try some combination of Google's (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4), Cloudflare's (1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1) Quad9's (9.9.9.9 and 149.112.112.112), or some other public DNS provider. OpenDNS is the only other provider I can think of, off the top of my head. But anyway, it could be a DNS issue, so you could try manually configuring it. If it doesn't help, you can always just change the setting back to "Get Automatically from ISP" and your router will request the settings from your ISP again for you. Is IPv6 enabled? If so, if you want to try the DNS thing, you'll have to search for the IPv6 IP addresses for those DNS servers.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

The PS should be wire connected. It's the best and recommended way for gaming. 

If the PS or partiular game is getting kicked, there maybe game services at play or something in the PS that maybe not working right. 

Put a check mark in Daisy Chain. 

Do a factory reset of the Orbi router and setup from scratch. This time, do not enable QoS, Traffic Meter or access controls. Set up a IP address reservation for the PS console. 

Ensure the PS console is wired to the router and not a satellite. 

uPnP should be enabled.

You can try setting NAT Filter to Open and see if this help any. This is only really needed for two or more game consoles online at the same time playing the same game though. 

Have him game some with out other devices online, then game with other devices online and see what happens. 

@LoboTommy wrote:
I have not tried the ps4 wireless. I'll give it a go tomorrow. Kid prefers it cables though, as he has the first release of ps4 - doesn't support 5ghz network.
Cable has been changed though. Was a Cat6, and is a new cat6 now. Same issues.

So, I'll have him try wireless, then if successful- he will have to choose crappy speed but stable wirless, or fast network with kicks from games....

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7