Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK50-100AUS, Cannot torn off 5GHZ

GerardOz
Guide

Orbi RBK50-100AUS, Cannot torn off 5GHZ

Hi All,

Ive got a RBK50 modem and Satellite, new and the Fiormware is up to date. I've got an alarn device on 2.4g connected to it Ok. My Iphone needs to connect the device on the same 2.4g from what I can figure out . It ios stuck on 5g on the orbi wireless so the app will not communicate to the alarm until both are on 2.4g. How can I turn off the 5g on this orbi so I can get this set up? When I go into advanced wireless settings there is no option to turn off the 5g

Thanks

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK50-100AUS, Cannot torn off 5GHZ

You can't shut off the 5ghz on it. 

You can disable the ssid broadcast. Then try disconnecting your phone and reconnecting it. 

There's been a few posts on this.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/orbi-20-cannot-connect-Swann-Camera/m-p/1822475/highlight/true...

Message 2 of 5
GerardOz
Guide

Thanks for the reply, I found out it can only be reduced to 25% but that did the job.
Cheers
Message 3 of 5

For future reference, another ploy that has worked for many people when setting up IoT toys is to disable broadcasting of the 5GHz SSID.

It isn't the existence of 5 GHz that is the pain, but the fact that the setup process can be with a mobile app that connects to the 5 GHz. Poorly designed IoT apps can get their knickers in a twist when this happens. Force them on to 2.4 GHz and all works well.

Message 4 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@GerardOz wrote:

It ios stuck on 5g on the orbi wireless so the app will not communicate to the alarm until both are on 2.4g.

Don't forget to complain about the nonsense of checking the iOS device is connected to the 2.4 GHz radio - Mesh and business class  systems like Orbi which are using both radius with the same SSID are connecting to the very same network ...

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7