Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK50 AC3000 Router/Satellite slower than Centurylink Fiber modem/router

jical80
Aspirant

Orbi RBK50 AC3000 Router/Satellite slower than Centurylink Fiber modem/router

So i recently hooked up my Orbi RBK AC3000 router/satellite in my home.  I have Centurylink 1G Fiber service.  I was able to completely get rid of the supplied modem/router unit by Centurylink (Zyxel c3000z).  Prior to using the Orbi, i would get plugged-in/ethernet speeds of 700-800 Mbp up/down, as expected, and WiFi speeds of 90-200 Mbp (down) and 50-100 (up) with the Zyxel c3000z, depending on where i was in the house.  When using the Orbi setup alone, definitely get better WiFi covereage with speeds of 200-250 (down) and 100-200 (up); however, the plugged-in/ethernet speeds are only 300-400 Mbp (down) and 200-300 Mbp (up).  Does anyone know if this is to be expected?  Are there any settings on the Orbi that might enhance the ethernet cable download speeds?  I'm pretty much using the default settings on the Orbi. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 3

Re: Orbi RBK50 AC3000 Router/Satellite slower than Centurylink Fiber modem/router

I have a similar thread posted regarding slow WiFi speeds when using Orbi instead of CenturyLink's provided modem/router.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/CenturyLink-Fiber-and-Netgear-ORBI-100Mbps-cap/m-p/1670761#M46...

Message 2 of 3
ekhalil
Master

@jical80 wrote:

So i recently hooked up my Orbi RBK AC3000 router/satellite in my home.  I have Centurylink 1G Fiber service.  I was able to completely get rid of the supplied modem/router unit by Centurylink (Zyxel c3000z).  Prior to using the Orbi, i would get plugged-in/ethernet speeds of 700-800 Mbp up/down, as expected, and WiFi speeds of 90-200 Mbp (down) and 50-100 (up) with the Zyxel c3000z, depending on where i was in the house.  When using the Orbi setup alone, definitely get better WiFi covereage with speeds of 200-250 (down) and 100-200 (up); however, the plugged-in/ethernet speeds are only 300-400 Mbp (down) and 200-300 Mbp (up).  Does anyone know if this is to be expected?  Are there any settings on the Orbi that might enhance the ethernet cable download speeds?  I'm pretty much using the default settings on the Orbi. 

- What speed do you get when you do speed test in the Orbi app (Internet Speed) or in orbilogin.net under >>ADVANCED>>Setup>>QoS Setup?

- Have you tried changing the cable connecting the computer you’re measuring from and Orbi? Have you tried from another computer?

- Do you have any other wired devices connected to Orbi?

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7