Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK50 AC3000 Wifi Speed always below 150 mbps

captainhook88
Aspirant

Orbi RBK50 AC3000 Wifi Speed always below 150 mbps

Hi,

I am getting weird download speeds on wifi on my new Orbi system. When I test my internet speed inside the Orbi-App, I get around 350-500 mbps down, 250 mbps up (I have a 500/250 mbps connection). However, on wifi, even if I sit just across my router or satellite, 100-150 mbps (up and down) is usually all I get. This is strange considering I see a lot of people getting more than 300 mbps on wifi.

What should I do? I already tried on AP mode, no change in speed.

Many thanks in advance,

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK50 AC3000 Wifi Speed always below 150 mbps

What are your wired LAN cable speeds thru the router with a PC and web browser test at a speed test site?

What is the wireless device your using when speed testing on wireless?

What radio is it connected too? 2.4Ghz or 5ghz?

Any other wireless nieghbors near by? if so, how many?

Message 2 of 7
captainhook88
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply. At the moment, I cannot test my wired cable speeds through the router, because none of my mobile devices support an ethernet cable and my desktop pc is not even close to the router location. That’s why I tested the internet speed through the iOS Orbi App (up to 500 mbps).

My test devices on wireless are the following: Macbook Pro 15’, iPad Pro 2017, iPhone X, always getting a max of 150 mbps, often around 100 mbps. i cannot see which networks they are connected to, but as I am sitting just across the room, I’d guess that they are connected to the 5 Ghz network.

On my desktop pc, which is directly plugged in to my modem, I get the advertised 500 mbps. 

No other significant wireless neighbors - I also checked my channels and there doesn’t seem to be an interference.

Many thanks again,

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

You might either Forget This Network on the mobile devices or remove the wireless profile from OSX then reconnect to the Orbi SSID name.

in OSX you can Hold down the OPT key then click on the wireless radio icon at the top and this will list you more details of what wireless you connected too, mode, channel and other information. if you see that the Mac is connected to channel 1, 6 or 11, then it's connected to the 2.4Ghz radio. Channels 36 to 48 will be 5Ghz...

Would need to try and get a wired PC connecte to the back of the Orbi and see if your getting your 500Mb speed there as well.

Try the speedtest.net app on the iphones and ipads...

You can try disabling MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming and see...

Message 4 of 7
captainhook88
Aspirant

Thanks again. I checked in the Orbi Web-Interface and it showed that my devices were connected to the 5 Ghz Wifi, so the issue should not be related to them wrongly connecting to the 2.4 Ghz Wifi.

I always test my speed by using the speedtest.net app on my mobile iOS devices, which gave me results of 80 mbps to 150 mbps (both up and down). However, in the Orbi-App, my router indicates speeds of up to 500 mbps. 

I will also try disabling MIMO and Daisy Chain as soon as I get home (Fast Roaming does not change anything regarding speed, however, activating it, makes my devices switch more often, which is great)

I will try to get an ethernet adapter to be able to plug it directly into the router and see what speeds I get.

Is there any other thing I could try ?

Many thanks

Message 5 of 7
captainhook88
Aspirant

I now also spoke to customer support and they told me that I should have reset both devices to factory defaults after updating the firmware. I will do that as soon as I get home and report back.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes...

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements