× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK50 AC3000 and Sony KD-55X9005C Disconnects

neukenuk
Aspirant

Orbi RBK50 AC3000 and Sony KD-55X9005C Disconnects

Hi. I bought the RBK50 which arrived yesterday to replace R6120 which i had been having problems with with devices dropping on and requiring restart starting monthly then becoming weekly for absolutely no reason and was stopping my Ring Pro staying connected.

Anyway, I bought the RBK50 to replace it and make sure I get maximum WIFI around the house which is by no means a mansion stop the dropouts from Sonos and Ring (Wifi). However I have hit a snag with the Sony TV(KD-55X9005C) since installing the Orbi RBK50. The set up is as follows, RBK50 Route is in the upstairs office where the Fibre broadband comes in, and the Satelite in the lounge to cater for gaming console, sky box, Sonos, Ring Pro and the TV in question. When I stream from Netflix there is no problem at all, can steam 4K with no buffering at all, however when I try an use an application called Archos which manages my Movies and Box Set jukebox the TV disconnects from the Orbi Satellite and will only reconnect when I come out of the application after a minute or so. However when I repoint the TV to an EX6120 WIFI extender and use the same application the TV remains connected when using the Archos application.

I havent yet tried connecting through hard wire or connecting via Wifi to the router and seeing if that is a problem, but there does seem to be some mismatch as i didnt have any issues with the TV when it was connected to R6120.

Anyone else had any issues like this and have been able to resolve it?

Thanks in advance

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version is the Orbi system using?

Try diabling Daisy Chain, MIMO and Fast Roaming.

What is the distances between the router and Satellites? Feet? 30 feet to begin with is recommended...

Message 2 of 13
neukenuk
Aspirant

Firmware running at 2.1.4.16 which is the latest. 

Those 3 settings were not enabled and remained disabled. 

The route and satellite are vertically above each over between floors 

I can’t hardwire the TV to router as TV is flush against the wall and the Ether port is on the back of the TV. 

Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distances between the router and Satellites? Feet? 30 feet to begin with is recommended...

What is the relation placement of the TV to the satellite and router? possible that placement of the satellite is not good for the TV. Can you power OFF the satellite and test the TV with the router only?

Message 4 of 13
neukenuk
Aspirant

Hi. 

The router and satellite are about 15-20 feet apart from Lounge to Office through ceiling. 

The satellite is about 4 ft away from the TV. 

I tested switching off off the Satellite and the TV connected to the router with no issues. I tested Archos and the TV remained connected and functioned as it should do. So it does look like an issue with the satellite. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 5 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Try the satellite closer to the TV next to see if the TV will connect to it. After you get the satellite set up, besure to power OFF the TV then back on, it should connect to the satellite. You can check this by logging into the satellites IP address and looking at it's connected cllients list...

Message 6 of 13
neukenuk
Aspirant

The satellite has been back on for 8 hours and the TV is still connected to the Router. It will eventually bounce got the Satellite.
Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you power cycled the TV to see if it will connect to the satellite? The satallite maybe too close fo the TV. Seems like the TV likes the router signal over the satellite...

Message 8 of 13
jmc262
Guide

I had a problem with my Ring doorbells providing app notifications to my mobile devices and I changed the NAT filtering (Advanced settings, Setup, WAN Setup) from secure to open. Give that a try and see if it helps with your issue.

Message 9 of 13
neukenuk
Aspirant

The TV has reverted to the satélite now and the issue has returned sadly.

Also Rasberry Pi could not see the router or satelite, but strangely so could see the Hidden network between the Satelite and Router. To get around that issue I had to change the 2.4 network from Auto to a fixed channel and then it become visible. 

Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible issue with the TV and how it handles the wifi signal and connection and or this application you use. I would make contact with the Mfr of the TV and an this application. If other devices are working ok accept for the TV and this application, I would presume there maybe a issue with the TV and this application...

Message 11 of 13
neukenuk
Aspirant

Yes. Still doesn't explain how the TV handles WIFI differently when connected to the Router compared to that when connected Satellite.

There does seem to be a theme

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBK50-and-Sony-Smart-TV/td-p/1325067
Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to present to the TV mfr about...They may have more information or should be made aware of this.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series