Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK50 New Firmware Not Listed On Support Website

n3tguy
Follower

Orbi RBK50 New Firmware Not Listed On Support Website

Greetings,

I received an update from my Android app that a new firmware update was available for Orbi RBK50 (AC3000)

My Firmware was at the latest, 2.5.1.16. The newly reported available firmware was 2.7.0.70.

There is no mention of this firmware version on the support website for this product. I have never seen the support website not include the latest firmware and or release notes about it.  Please let me know if anyone else has experienced this and if Support will be updating the website soon.

thank you

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
nsguy
Tutor

Re: Orbi RBK50 New Firmware Not Listed On Support Website

Welcome to the dysfunctional firmware carousel that is netgear. Great hardware, haphazard firmware.

Sorry, I wish I could be more helpful - I am in the same boat and there is just no information.
Message 2 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Appears Netgear is pushing conditional updates - probably based on the hardware version, probably based on hardware combinations like outdoor satellites models, probably based on features configured, probably caused by features once enabled/installed depending on the enabled or disabled status - to the update feed used in the App and/or the live update in the Web UI. Doing so makes perfect sense with the complexity added by various 3rd party services in place and the mix of hardware.

One indication on the subject is this information by a moderator here, just distributed by PM:

"The FW v2.7.0.70 is for users that did not have CircleV1 activated. If user activated CircleV1 then they would get FW v2.5.2.4 update if not then they'll get v2.7.0.70. The team is planning to post first the v70 FW on our support site but no ETA provided."

Reading between the lines tells me Netgear does start promoting and offering "Netgear Smart Parental Controls" with free and paid features this time - not based on the "free" OpenDNS as before - much more based in the background on Circle, nicked internally as Circlev2.

Definitively poor communication attitude causing Netgear does not have a basic release notes (even without download links for these "special" builds) published in the KB, being to v2.5.2.4, being for the v2.7.0.70, lining out what is going on in the underground.

Doing so would avoid endless discussions and subject repetitions here in this and other communities. @Blanca_O 

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Being the community forum, its rare to find a netgear employee on here. 

Many times we see firmware pushed out via the update server first and then later to the manual update server or vice versa. 

many on here kind of use it at a test. If it runs fine and we don't see much for issues on the forums, then they update their devices to it. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7