Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK50 and satellite router mode with verizon fios

Lcepedar
Aspirant

Orbi RBK50 and satellite router mode with verizon fios

So a few days ago I order Verizon Fios Gigabit internet at the same time I order the Orbi system from them and was told I could just remove the verizon quantum router and use the Orbi.

Total kack by Verizon then Netgear, they seems to be combined to scam customers.

Why? Well should have been told in the first place that I could not replaced the the verizon router and I wouldn't have spent extra US$350, after the installation they then sent me the orbi and told me to follow instructions, I did but not what I wanted they only include instruction keeping the router from verizon, I called verizon and they told me I needed to call Netgear and I have registered the product as required and got a case number, called and the person was unable to help me, same response... I need the verizon router present for the Orbi to work.

Netgear, What is the deal? it is true I get faster speed and range but I still have to use the stupid slow verizon router to process information, doesn't make sense, I am getting ready to return this product, USELESS i must say.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK50 and satellite router mode with verizon fios

The Orbi RBR## systems need a ISP interface device like a modem(Cable or DSL or ONT(Fiber) or if the ISP provides the interface thru a networking switch like is some appartment buildings thru a wall outlet that connects to the Internet port on the back of the Orbi router. 

Verizon should have a tech available to answer weather or not what is required for you use to ANY kind of external router which would include Orbi RBR## units. ISP provide this information, not NetGear. 

Would look like this: ISP Modem or ONT>Orbi RBR## Router<>Satellites and other wire or wireless connected devices connected to RBR## Router. 

In cases where ISPs have there customers use Modem/Router combo units:

Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@Lcepedar wrote:

So a few days ago I order Verizon Fios Gigabit internet at the same time I order the Orbi system from them and was told I could just remove the verizon quantum router and use the Orbi.

Total kack by Verizon then Netgear, they seems to be combined to scam customers.

Why? Well should have been told in the first place that I could not replaced the the verizon router and I wouldn't have spent extra US$350, after the installation they then sent me the orbi and told me to follow instructions, I did but not what I wanted they only include instruction keeping the router from verizon, I called verizon and they told me I needed to call Netgear and I have registered the product as required and got a case number, called and the person was unable to help me, same response... I need the verizon router present for the Orbi to work.

Netgear, What is the deal? it is true I get faster speed and range but I still have to use the stupid slow verizon router to process information, doesn't make sense, I am getting ready to return this product, USELESS i must say.

Message 2 of 4
Lcepedar
Aspirant

Thanks for the response.

The main reason I purchased the Orbi system was to get rid off Verizon quantum router, I hate it. 

The second reason was to extend wifi signal through my house.

I am happy with the second one, I currently have it set up in AP mode as indicated the instructions from Verizon, note that I am not happy with this set up.

I am in a 100% fiber Optic line to a ONT and I have an ethernet cable feeding the verizon router (no Caxial cable is connected as I do not have TV or Tel service) so I am looking for a solution to completely get rid of the quantum router, I read that if I release the DHCP from the quantum router I can connect the Orbi base to the ONT directly and that this should work, if this is true I would like to follow instructions to do this.

Verizon has remoeved the avility to access the full router page and now it is only through my account online where I can enable desable wifi settings but nthing for DHCP settings or any advance settings, very nice of verizon to prohibit me from controlling my network....

If this is possible please let me know and I will find a way to accomplish this.

Thanks

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

You need to contact Verizon and have someone there correctly help you in the removal of there router. They will have this information. If they do support going from the ONT to a different router, like the Orbi, then this should work find. Sounds like version just needs to help you fully remove there router to be sure nothing is messed up. Once this is done, connect to the Orbi. I would have the Orbi router powered off before connecting to the ONT. I recommend rebooting the ONT while they do this. I presume they may recommend this. Ask. Once the ONT has been rebooted, the Orbi router should be turned on. Wait for the top light to turn from Pink to Blue. Then OFF means all is good. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7