Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK50 password recovery - security questions didn't work for me

Poh11
Aspirant

Orbi RBK50 password recovery - security questions didn't work for me

Hello,

I need help to recover my admin password.  Tried the security questions for which I am quite certain that my answers were accurate -- first school I attended and my youngest brother's irst name.  Tried various permutations with capital and local case, but the message came back each time that info was wrong. 

Not sure what I could do next. Any advice will be appreciated!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5

Re: Orbi RBK50 password recovery - security questions didn't work for me

A factory reset will get you back to the default settings and password.

There is a bug in some devices in Netgear's implementation of password recovery. You can get locked into a close loop.

If password recovery is enabled, but you have not set the answers to the questions, it keeps sending you back to the beginning of the process because you can't answer the questions.

If the standard factory password (password) does not work, then you will have to factory reset the thing to get back to that. Then either disable password recovery (check the manual for your device) or provide some answers to those questions.

Message 2 of 5
Poh11
Aspirant

Thanks... will find some time to do a factory reset. Was hoping I won’t need to do that. But looks like that’s the option.
Thanks Sensei!
Message 3 of 5

Did you ever set a new password? Have you tried the defaults?

Message 4 of 5
Poh11
Aspirant

Yes, I tried default - didn’t work - and I am almost certain I did set a password. I have had other netgear routers before Orbi, as well as Arlo installed. Haven’t encountered issues before, and certainly wasn’t aware of the bug that caused the looping of security questions.
Will report once I have set aside time to go via the factory reset mode.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7