× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK53S Using 4X Data

TXOrbi
Aspirant

Orbi RBK53S Using 4X Data

I recently purchased the Orbi RBD53S-100NAS (Orbi router with two satellites) from Costco.  This is connected to the Xfinity router capaple of gig speeds (Model CGM4140COM).  I went through the steup process on the computer (not hard wired in) and was not able to update the firmware while in the setup process (note i have the satelites hardwired to the router in star topology).  I had to log back in after setup was complete and force it manually.  Since installing, my data usage has quadrupled.  I went from using around 25GB/day to nearly 100GD/day.  At this rate, I would blow past the 1TB of allowable data each month.  In reading prior posts from other users, it appears doing a factory reset would be helpful. I performed a full reset and went through the setup process again, but am still experienceing very high data usage.  With all my devices turned off, there's still a substantial amount of download activity on the traffic meter. Connectivity has worsened as well.  

I have a ticket open with ORBI, but has anyone found a fix for this?  I saw one person returned theirs for another, but there has to be a way to fix this.  Any help would be appreciated.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK53S Using 4X Data

Your modem has a built in router and wifi. Let us know what mode you have it running in? Bridge or router mode? 

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? Power OFF The ISP modem for 30 seconds then back on then walk thru the setup wizard after doing a factory reset?

Message 2 of 8
TXOrbi
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.  I have the xfinity router in router mode as i sometimes utilize the xfinity network when this one becomes problematic.  Prior to using this new orbi setup, they have operated in harmony.  Is the double NAT issue only apparent on this model perhaps?  Do you think that by putting the xfinity router in bridge mode this will eliminate the excessive data usage?  Finally, is there any downside or feathers I'll lose by running the Orbi in AP mode instead of router mode?

To answer your last question, yes, when I did the factory reset I rebooted and also powered down the xfinity router each time as well.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, well you are in a double NAT condition, so anything could be possible here. 

I would narrow down where the problem maybe coming from. 

If you remove the Orbi from service, does the usage still happen? 

Next, I would leave the ISP modem in router mode then configure the Orbi for AP mode. You'll loose featuers on the Orbi accept for Wifi and Guest Network is all. 

Run this configuration for a while and check usage to see if this continues. 

You might run just the RBR alone with the ISP modem in router mode. 

Other alternative would be to bridge the ISP modem and configure the RBR for router mode and test again. 

I would also check to see if there are any devices using up data unexpectedly. Turn OFF all devices if possible and run just a one or two. 

Message 4 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@TXOrbi wrote:

With all my devices turned off, there's still a substantial amount of download activity on the traffic meter.

Is that really "all devices" turned off?  Wow. In another post you mention "Prior to using this new orbi setup, they have operated in harmony."  Did this new Orbi replace a previous Orbi?  (and the old Orbi went where?)

I know of no tools built into the Orbi system to track how much data is being generated by different activities or devices.  There are external tools that can be used, but they all require investment of time and perhaps money.

One user has posted about his solution.  $133 plus some effort and he can not only report, but can control data usage by device and by application (see post 16): https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Can-I-track-data-usage-per-device/m-p/1561664 

A less expensive, but more tedious method might be to turn on the debug mode, capture a full day of WAN traffic onto a USB stick, and use Wireshark or something similar to see how many packets are coming and going from each device.  Honestly, I have not done it and have no idea how many hours of effort it would take, or if it's even possible.

Message 5 of 8
TXOrbi
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I would narrow down where the problem maybe coming from. Certainly sounds like the doube NAT could casue excessive data usage, although I'm still not sure I understand why.  

If you remove the Orbi from service, does the usage still happen?  When the Orbi is removed from service, the excessive usage stops. In fact, i reconnected all of my devices to my xfinity router and things seem to be back in line, so it's definitely something the Orbi is causing.

Next, I would leave the ISP modem in router mode then configure the Orbi for AP mode. You'll loose featuers on the Orbi accept for Wifi and Guest Network is all.   If I switch to AP mode, do I lose line of sight as to what is connected to the Orbi?

Other alternative would be to bridge the ISP modem and configure the RBR for router mode and test again. 

I would also check to see if there are any devices using up data unexpectedly. Turn OFF all devices if possible and run just a one or two.  Haven't had this issue in the past, but worth a shot I suppose.

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

@TXOrbi wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I would narrow down where the problem maybe coming from. Certainly sounds like the doube NAT could casue excessive data usage, although I'm still not sure I understand why.  

Lets try AP mode with the Orbi, then maybe swap around and bridge the modem and then set Orbi for router mode. 

If you remove the Orbi from service, does the usage still happen?  When the Orbi is removed from service, the excessive usage stops. In fact, i reconnected all of my devices to my xfinity router and things seem to be back in line, so it's definitely something the Orbi is causing.

Next, I would leave the ISP modem in router mode then configure the Orbi for AP mode. You'll loose featuers on the Orbi accept for Wifi and Guest Network is all.   If I switch to AP mode, do I lose line of sight as to what is connected to the Orbi?

No, it will still list what is connected to the wifi on the Orbi.

I would also check to see if there are any devices using up data unexpectedly. Turn OFF all devices if possible and run just a one or two.  Haven't had this issue in the past, but worth a shot I suppose.

Let us know how it goes with the Orbi in AP mode. 

What FW version is loaded on the Orbi system currently? 

Message 7 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

I can confirm that the debug "capture" function does work and that Wireshark will display statistics on the "conversations" between specific IP addresses.  On the WAN side, everything to/from the Orbi has the Orbi public IP address, so the main value is identifying where the most data comes from or goes to.  This doesn't identify which devide inside the Orbi is involved, but may help provide a starting place.

The LAN side capture includes not only traffic that comes in/out of the Orbi, but also traffic between stations.  My "top conversation", for example, was between my front door security camera and my FTP server.

When this new Orbi was installed, were Armor and/or Disney Circle activated?

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series