Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR 40 device manager shows unknown smart phone without pause resume button

Kchas
Follower

Orbi RBR 40 device manager shows unknown smart phone without pause resume button

The unknown smart phone is listed under 5GHz 

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR 40 device manager shows unknown smart phone without pause resume button

@Kchas wrote:

My guess is that this device is the device that is being used to run the Orbi 'app'.

It is sort of a "by definition thing."  There is no option to pause the device that is managing the Orbi router.

Why is it 'unknown'?  Aha.  Most modern smartphones have a default setting in the Network WiFi to create a 'randomized' MAC address when connecting to WiFi access points.  (For entertainment, search for "Randomized MAC address" on the internet.  Big Brother is alive and well for the paranoid.)

Every time our smartphones update software, that setting gets put back to the default of 'randomized', and I have to go into Network Settings and change it back to "Use the hardware MAC address."

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR 40 device manager shows unknown smart phone without pause resume button

@Kchas wrote:

My guess is that this device is the device that is being used to run the Orbi 'app'.

It is sort of a "by definition thing."  There is no option to pause the device that is managing the Orbi router.

Why is it 'unknown'?  Aha.  Most modern smartphones have a default setting in the Network WiFi to create a 'randomized' MAC address when connecting to WiFi access points.  (For entertainment, search for "Randomized MAC address" on the internet.  Big Brother is alive and well for the paranoid.)

Every time our smartphones update software, that setting gets put back to the default of 'randomized', and I have to go into Network Settings and change it back to "Use the hardware MAC address."

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7