Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR20 QOS Quality of service feature does not work.

AndrewC63
Aspirant

Orbi RBR20 QOS Quality of service feature does not work.

For whatever reason the Orbi seems to not evenly share the bandiwidth across my network. There doesnt seem to be an provison in the app or basic menus but I have found there is a hidden menu /QOS_main.htm where you can put some rules by mac address however whenever I fill it out and click add i get a 400 error on the next screen. There are some other ways to put rules in ie from programs but some of the programs are so old its unbeliveable they would in a modern WIFI unit did we even have WIFI when kazza was around... 

There seems to be one rule saved in there somehow but no matter what browser or device I use it will not take the setting. Working from home thru a vpn is fine when no one else is online soon as someone else goes online the bandwidth goes to the other computer and I can't do anything it grinds to a halt.  

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR20 QOS Quality of service feature does not work.

That is not a supported menu feature on Orbi systems. Any kind of QoS runs behind the scenes and is automatic. 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

How many devices do you have online?

What ISP Speeds UP and Down do you pay for? 

What is being used while devices are online? Streaming, VPN or downloading? 

Message 2 of 6
AndrewC63
Aspirant

Newest firmware 2.5.1.16

Motorola surfboard SB6141 its my modem I bought it not provided 

22 devices about 50/50 wired and wireless all computers are gigabit wired connections.

25mbps up and 2mbps down

Loging into my office computer to run autocad remotely. 

We have determined that for whatever reason the computer the company gave me is only for some reason during speed tests able to get 1mbps down either wired or wireless but I use a different computer on the same line and its getting full speed of 2mbps download.  

Video streaming or uploading on a different computer grinds that one to a halt so did google drive uploads but they have a built in bandwidth limiter that can be set to alleviate this problem. 

I dislike that orbi is so dummed down for the average consumer...  Is there any way to turn QOS off automatic? 

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? if no, I would do this first, walk thru the setup wizard with a wired PC or laptop. Do not enable Armor, Circle or do a speedtest thru QoS. Just leave it alone. 

Run a speedtest with Ooklas installable speed test app. Check speeds. 

For your ISP speeds, this maybe a to low for what your trying to do. You may need to upgrade to a faster speed package if your trying to do all this. The amount of devices is ok but it comes down to the ISP speeds vs bandwidth usage which maybe a bottle neck in the system. 

Message 4 of 6
AndrewC63
Aspirant

We have been running like this since march this year when the pandemic hit it's only been in the last few days been having an issues. 

I'm looking at upgrading the speed but if orbi decides to send all the speed to one device everything else is dead even if we have gigabit fiber... 

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Lets try a reset on the RBR and I would power OFF the modem for 1 minute as well during the reset of the RBR, then power it back on. 

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7