Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR20 - Understanding brief sudden unavailability

NetKnight
Aspirant

Orbi RBR20 - Understanding brief sudden unavailability

With our Orbi RBR20 with 2 RBS20 satellites, I am sometimes experiencing sudden interruptions where the entire WiFi signals (and thus internet connection for all mobile devices) will be gone for a few minutes. After that, the signal will return again, like if the power cord has been re-attached and the device restarted and re-established the internet connection again.

I would like to understand why this happens, since it interrupts online working sessions during the day. I could imagine a firmware update, but I would expect those to only happen during the night. 

Can I access the device logs that would show this and any root cause...? 

Much appreciated.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR20 - Understanding brief sudden unavailability

what firmware is on the router and the satellites? 

What modem/gateway is the router connected to? 

How often does it happen?

All devices disconnect at the same time? 

Message 2 of 6
Mikey94025
Hero

What you describe (recurring wifi service interruption lasting for minutes) should not be happening.  The next time you see it, check http://orbilogin.com/debug.htm and its report of System Uptime.  This will tell you if there was a crash, system restart, power interruption, etc.  When it occurs, it is only wireless or do wired devices also lose network access?

There are logs available on the Advanced tab of http://orbilogin.com/ but these are very generic and unlikely to tell you if and why you're seeing Orbi network outages.

Message 3 of 6
NetKnight
Aspirant

Thank you for your prompt responses @plemans and @Mikey94025, much appreciated.

Hardware version: RBR20
Firmware version: V2.7.3.22, on main device and the two sattelites

The RBR20 is connected via ethernet cable to a Sagemcom F@st 3890V3 WU cable modem, which was specially manufactured for TDC, a telco here in DK. The uplink is 1000 Mhz.

The loss of connection happens once per two/four weeks. I will start tracking in detail.

Yes, all devices loose access, since I do not see any Wifi signal anymore. When it happened today, I opened Wifi Explorer Lite on macOS and I did not see activity on any band or channel; all networks were gone. I did not have a device physically plugged in, but I will make preparations to test next time this happens.

The current system uptime shows 06:17:32, which is in line with a full restart / power interruption earlier today. We did not have a problem with the electricity at that moment.

Message 4 of 6
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Netknight,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!

I understand that you are having interim network issues with no additional changes to your network. Your post says that you are on version 2.7.3.22. Have you tried updating to the most recent firmware for your RBR20 FW v2.7.4.24? 

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Also, that sagemcom is a modem/router combo device and causes a doubt nat if ran in router mode with the orbi in router mode. 

A double nat happens when you cascade more than 1 router.
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Fixes? There’s 3 options but only use 1.
1. Put the modem/gateway in modem only/pass through mode. This disables its routing functions.
2. Leave the modem/gateway in router mode but put the Netgears IP address into its DMZ. This forwards the data to the netgear. You can either leave the modem/gateway’s wireless enabled or disabled. Just make sure its using a different wifi channel to prevent interference
3. Put the Netgear into access point mode. This disables its routing functions. Wifi/ethernet still works but it does disable some features.
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7