× Our systems will undergo a planned maintenance on Sunday, May 19, 2024, between 12:00 AM and 02:00 AM Pacific Time. During the maintenance window, you will not be able to log in to your MyNETGEAR account (including apps), renew a subscription, or register a product. However, you will still be able to use guest checkout to purchase a new product or subscription service. Updates will be posted to Status.NETGEAR.com. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR20 and Satellites Repeatedly Losing connection to router

Rokais_72
Aspirant

Orbi RBR20 and Satellites Repeatedly Losing connection to router

I have had my system just shy of a year and for the most part things were great until the firmware updates destabilized my connections in terms of the satellite connection to the router. I have been trying for months to solve this. I will say that Netgear's primary support for 90 days is well timed as the issues all started after that. The price Netgear is charing for support is crazy, for one year of "support" it is almost the cost of buying another entire system which is crazy. They obviously don't stand behind their products. I feel remorse for buying this product without really reviewing the after sales support plans. 

Anyhow, back to the issue at hand. The satellites constantly disconnecting is driving me nuts. I have tried many of the solutions that are posted online but nothing seems to stick. The satellites might work for a few days and again for no reason at all they will disconnect. The router on the other hand has a soid connection to the internet and never seems to drop. I can only attribute these to firmware changes as that seems to be the only thing that has been the trigger for the disconnect periods. 

Have others experienced and solved this issue with their systems? I'd be curious to know what you have tried in case I have missed something. I'd replace this system if I had the money but that isn't an option currently. The sad thing is that when this works, it works great. But being down for upwards to 30 minutes at a time when the satellites disconnect and then wait for them to reconnect is not feasible. 

Thanks in advance if you have some options. 

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

You can find other speed diagnosis steps in the community faq: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

Message 2 of 19
vajim
Master

Questions questions

just tell us yout firmware 

Message 3 of 19
Rokais_72
Aspirant

Firmware version: 2.6.2.104

Message 4 of 19
vajim
Master

@Rokais_72 wrote:

All I can offer is IF your problems started AFTER this firmware, then get rid of it and revert back.

OR....................you can sort through the other suggestions and be prepared to answer dozens of questions none of which may fix your problem.  The choice is yours.

Message 5 of 19
Rokais_72
Aspirant

What Firmware version is currently loaded? 2.6.2.104

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? No
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? ~ 2700 Sq Ft
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. Router is in the basement, 1 on main floor, and 1 on top floor. 
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? Auto channels, I have not tried manully changing for 2.4 Ghz and 5Ghz yet. Lots of WiFi neighbours in my townhome complex (5 - 8 nearby)

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings I did try enabling Beamforming and MIMO and there was no change. 

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Armor, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming are all active, Circle and IPv6 are not enabled, I have not yet tried the 20/40Mhz change or Preamble from short to long. 

One User Experience/Configuration: I will read these linked 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

You can find other speed diagnosis steps in the community faq: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

Message 6 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

@Rokais_72 wrote:

Desperate times call for desperate measures (Hippocrates). I can think of two:

• Do the dreaded "Factory Reset" on the Orbi router and satellites.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMw4ePACgc4 
    People hate doing this because the system has to be configured from scratch.  (I usually save a copy of the config and try the option to "load a previous configuration" during the setup.  If that fails, then I am stuck with over an hour of tedious typing.)
    If this fails to stabilize the system, then...
  • Manually load an older firmware release on the router and satellites. 2.5.1.16 was very stable for a long time.

Message 7 of 19
Rokais_72
Aspirant

How do I revert to a previous firmware?

Message 8 of 19
vajim
Master

@Rokais_72 wrote:

go to the downloads section above and enter your model number.

Message 9 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

@Rokais_72 wrote:

Instructions can be found here:

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co... 

Message 10 of 19
vajim
Master

@CrimpOn wrote:

@Rokais_72 wrote:

Instructions can be found here:

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co... 

IF successful, you may want to rethink your approach to firmware updates.

IF successful you may want to share your story here with others.

Thanks to you and @CrimpOn

Message 11 of 19
Rokais_72
Aspirant

Currently I am trying the solution presented in this article to see "how it goes"

https://averagetechblog.com/how-to/netgear-orbi-settings/

I will monitor and post my findings after a week or two. 

Message 12 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

That article was also using older FW as well. 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Message 13 of 19
vajim
Master

@Rokais_72 wrote:

Currently I am trying the solution presented in this article to see "how it goes"

wise decision 

Message 14 of 19
Rokais_72
Aspirant

Well I haven't measured accurately but the set up is S1-R-S2. S1 is on the 3rd floor (more than 30 feet) above the R (in basement) and the S2 is on the second floor (maybe close to 20-25 feet) away. Wood frame construction. 

Message 15 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Basements are not recommended places for the RBR. Concrete and steel will impact wifi coverage and be problematic. 

Message 16 of 19
Rokais_72
Aspirant

Well I ended up rolling back the firware to the previous stable version 2.5.1.16. Will see how this goes. I had a little bit of stabilty but as of the last couple of days, the router was constantly disconnecting from the internet for no reason. Let's see if this holds steady otherwise I think I am done with Orbi and will be looking for another solution. I have spent way too much time on this already. My old AirPort Extreme was very much a set it and forget it but sadly no longer cut the mustard so moved to this model. 

Message 17 of 19
Rokais_72
Aspirant

One thing that I noted when I downgraded my firmware the mobile app (iOS) will not take my admin password even though I can login in from a web browser. Is that a sideffect of the FW downgrade?

Message 18 of 19
Darkarw83
Aspirant

Any update on the roll back? Did this fix your problem? I’ve been having the same issue since I updated, so about a month ago. About to perform the roll back on my system right now as well.
Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7