Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR40/RBW30 and Facetime Never works

danreese
Aspirant

Orbi RBR40/RBW30 and Facetime Never works

I have the Amazon Orbi bundle of the RBR40 router and two RBW30 satellites.  Running current firmeware of 2.2.1.210 for the router and 2.2.1.204 for the satellites.

However - using Facetime has never worked.  Facetime calls connect fine, you see the person you are calling in video and hear the audio, however the caller on the other end always sees either a black screen for you or a frozen image of the first image transmitted once the calls connects.   Your video never will push through the Orbi.  This is never a issue on other routers I have here at home on the identical internet connection - it is unique to the Orbi.

Why on earth will facetime not work through the Orbi system?

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR40/RBW30 and Facetime Never works

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

Is Beamforming and MIMO enabled on the RBR? Under Advanced tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

@danreese wrote:

I have the Amazon Orbi bundle of the RBR40 router and two RBW30 satellites.  Running current firmeware of 2.2.1.210 for the router and 2.2.1.204 for the satellites.

However - using Facetime has never worked.  Facetime calls connect fine, you see the person you are calling in video and hear the audio, however the caller on the other end always sees either a black screen for you or a frozen image of the first image transmitted once the calls connects.   Your video never will push through the Orbi.  This is never a issue on other routers I have here at home on the identical internet connection - it is unique to the Orbi.

Why on earth will facetime not work through the Orbi system?

Message 2 of 5
danreese
Aspirant

Thx for query Furry38, here are the settings presently for those:

The Orbi is in Router mode.

MIMO is on, but Implicit Beamforming is off.  (issue still happens when I'm standing next to router or satellite so don't expect range is the issue but can try beamforming too.)

The ISP modem device is a Fiber modem, Zyxel GS2200-8.

Message 3 of 5
ekhalil
Master

Zyxel GS2200-8 is an advanced layer 2 switch as I can see!
What is the model of your fiber modem please?
I think that the issue you’re seeing can be caused by double NAT. Please make sure that your modem doesn’t have router functionality.
Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

The model you provided is for a swtich:

https://www.cnet.com/products/zyxel-gs2200-8hp-switch-8-ports-managed/

We need the model # of the ISP modem or ONT device that the Orbi or this switch is connected too. 

FYI about Managed swiches, find the IGMP protocol features on the switches web page and disable ALL IGMP Protocols. Managed and Green Ethernet switch don't work well with Orbi systems. 

@danreese wrote:

Thx for query Furry38, here are the settings presently for those:

The Orbi is in Router mode.

MIMO is on, but Implicit Beamforming is off.  (issue still happens when I'm standing next to router or satellite so don't expect range is the issue but can try beamforming too.)

The ISP modem device is a Fiber modem, Zyxel GS2200-8.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7