Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR40 Router and RBW30 Satellite - Router reboots itself randomly several times a day

brentriddell
Aspirant

Orbi RBR40 Router and RBW30 Satellite - Router reboots itself randomly several times a day

Hi, I've had the Orbi RBR40 Router and 1 x RBW30 Satellite for almost 2 years and recently (in the last 3 days) the router has been rebooting itself regularly throughout the day (5-6 times per day) and causing the WiFi to go down (it reboots and corrects itself within 5 minutes usually).

Never had a problem with them until now, but the major thing that changed is I am full-time working from home because of the COVID-19 pandemic (I'm based in Berlin, Germany).

I tried factory resetting them and they report being already on the latest firmware. Here are some further details:
Orbi RBR40 Router: Firmware V2.3.5.30
RBW30 Satellite: Firmware V2.3.0.4
Apartment Size: Approx 65sqm

Orbi Router is connected to a FRITZ!Box 7362 SL modem/router (this is plugged into the wall and recieves the internet but does nothing else, WiFi is off and this setup has worked for 1+ years without issue).

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
brentriddell
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBR40 Router and RBW30 Satellite - Router reboots itself randomly several times a day

I'm trying running without the Satellite for a while and see if it makes any difference 🤷‍♂️

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
brentriddell
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBR40 Router and RBW30 Satellite - Router reboots itself randomly several times a day

I'm trying running without the Satellite for a while and see if it makes any difference 🤷‍♂️

Message 2 of 4
brentriddell
Aspirant

After running without the Satellite for a few days, I can say the situation has improved greatly, I've had no reboots (which is a huge relief after a week of reboots every hour or so and trying to work from home) ... but now what do I with the Satellite? 😞 I'm out of warrenty and not really sure what could be causing it from the Satellite end - Already tried a factory reset ... anyone else have an experience like this? 

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7