Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 Compatibility with Starlink

bubbabmd
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 Compatibility with Starlink

I recently bought an Orbi RBS760 system and installed it behind Starlink.  It works great.  However, I tried connecting my old RBR50 Orbi system to my neighbor's Starlink and could not get the Orbi to connect to the internet.  I looked around the web to see if there were compatibility issues but couldn't find anything.  Does any have any ideas on what I should do to make this work?  Or is it not compatible with Starlink?  Thanks.

Message 1 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 Compatibility with Starlink

What is the intention? You could operate Starlink with it's built-in (limited) NAT router, or connect the Orbi WAN (in router mode) to Starlink in Bypass Mode - almost like connecting a typical Cable Modem.

Starlink Bypass Mode.PNG

Message 2 of 5
bubbabmd
Aspirant

I did connect in bypass mode.  I had wifi, but no connectivity to the internet.  I had this system running for several years using Viasat as my ISP, with Viasat in bridge mode.  Initially, I tried a shortcut by not bringing the Orbi router back to factory settings.  After that didn't work, I did so, but ended up with the same result.  So, I'm unsure if this older RBR50 isn't compatible or if there's an Orbi router setting that I need to alter.

Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Plain IP, pure simple DHCP on the WAN side - no PPPoE or the like encapsulation, no authentication, ...

Message 4 of 5
bubbabmd
Aspirant

OK.  I'll give it a try.  Thanks!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements