Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 Dead (Wireless)

tagteam
Virtuoso

Orbi RBR50 Dead (Wireless)

Just a datapoint. My 7+ year old RBR50 just flat out died with respect to wireless functionality.

As for ethernet, it appears to be fine. However, absolutely no wireless signal after recycles, resetting numerous times, changing power supplies, etc, very strange but I suppose it happens.

Fortunately, I had a spare RBR50 sitting in my closet for several years and setting that thing up was a snap. My 3 SATS are still going strong.

FWIW.

Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Did you try reinstalling the firmware? Or a different firmware? 

not saying it'll fix it and since you have a backup, might not be worth the time on an older system. 

Message 2 of 9
tagteam
Virtuoso

@plemans wrote:

Did you try reinstalling the firmware? Or a different firmware? 

not saying it'll fix it and since you have a backup, might not be worth the time on an older system. 

Yeah, thanks. I tried everything I could think of, including a total reset and reinstall (in fact, I installed 4 different revisions). Nothing.

Kind of strange since there were no power issues whatsoever and even the old, original power supply worked with the other RBR50. I swapped it out anyway, but I literally racked by brain, and spent the most of the day and into the evening trying to fix the old router. No radio!

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Can try Voxels FW to see if that might kick it back:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Voxels-FW-available-for-50-series-Orbi-only-available/m-p/1883...

Last resort would be 30-30-30 reset.

Message 4 of 9
tagteam
Virtuoso

Thanks but, all things considered, I'm fairly confident this is a hardware failure.

Zero radio signal and LED on the top is simply dead while ethernet works just fine. Anyway, the thing is toast at this point since the new setup is working great.

Further, I still have another, unused and never set up, RBR50 (don't ask why I had two backups - lol).

So, if the current RBR50 fails, then the backup gets placed into service and I start looking at quad band. 😉

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Might go find a used RBR50 on places like ebay or shopgoodwill. 

Or maybe time to find something newer. 

Good Luck.

Message 6 of 9
tagteam
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Might go find a used RBR50 on places like ebay or shopgoodwill. 

Or maybe time to find something newer. 

Good Luck.

Thanks.

I pretty well fixed here for the time being with my (replaced) RBR50 and another spare in my closet.

If I have to pull out the spare in the near future, then I'll be looking at picking up the 960 series or perhaps even the 970.

Message 7 of 9
plemans
Guru

It is nice having a couple backups! Having 2 RBR50's sitting in a closet makes some nice redundancy. I wouldn't even working about checking into fixing the first if you had 2 backups. If the first lasted 7 years, by the time you need the other backup, it'll be time to upgrade. 

Message 8 of 9
tagteam
Virtuoso

@plemans wrote:

It is nice having a couple backups! Having 2 RBR50's sitting in a closet makes some nice redundancy. I wouldn't even working about checking into fixing the first if you had 2 backups. If the first lasted 7 years, by the time you need the other backup, it'll be time to upgrade. 

100%, I agree! Funny thing is one of the RBR50 backup units I bought off a guy on ebay (private party) years ago and I thought I was buying a RBS50 (satellite) because I needed an extra SAT. When it arrived, I just didn't have the heart to send it back because it was my mistake. The other one I intended to buy as a backup, which is now in use.

Hopefully, the satellites keep working............

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7