Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 (Firmware 2.7.4.24)

Christian1977
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 (Firmware 2.7.4.24)

Hello
I am having above Orbi System
The WLAN Access Control inkl MAC address Control is activated for internal WLAN Connection

Is it still possible to Connect via Guest WLAN without approving the Mac Address?

Kind Regards
Christian
Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 (Firmware 2.7.4.24)

If this is the feature, please notice that this particular Orbi router offers a choice of what to do with "new" devices:

CrimpOn_0-1707768288430.png

If the selection is Block all new devices, then that includes the Guest WiFi as well.  Block means "Block every new device".

Message 2 of 4
Christian1977
Aspirant

Thank you for feedback

Yes - this is exactly what I am looking for

But what is the advantage of using the access control if still each new device is accepted?
Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

I can only speculate, but my impression is that this option can be used to avoid having to mess with the router settings at inconvenient times, such as I'm at work and....:

• Son bought this gizmo (new drone, smart plug, light bulb, Echo Dot speaker, etc. etc.) "Why don't the damn thing connect?"
  • Wife's iPhone/iPad updated iOS and turned on that "randomize MAC address feature" and now she can't print anything.
  • Daughter's study group came over, told them the Guest WiFi credentials, but they can't get on our WiFi.

Daaaaaaaad. Why isn't the WiFi working?????

In almost eight years, I have never felt a need to enable Access Control.  If one of my neighbors (who have their own WiFi systems) can figure out my 20 character WiFi password phrase, they're welcome to steal my internet.  If Mission Impossible wants to hack me, I'm sure "they have ways".

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7