Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 Ping Spiking

imrazzed
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 Ping Spiking

Over the past few days my ping while being wired into my sattelite has been spiking into the 300-500 range for a second or two and it would spike roughly every minute or so. Obviously its extremely aggravating and I've been pulling hairs trying to fix it. I originally contacted my isp where they claimed nothing was wrong, I contacted them again and they replaced all of the hardware and the problem persisted so I turned to look at my Orbi system. Browsing dozens of help threads where most seem to have the same problem and trying anything that was suggested, changing all kinds of settings in my netgear configuration like changing the manual channel for my 2.4ghz and 5ghz. Enabling/disabling Circle, Daisy Chain, setting 20/40Mhz coexistence to 40Mhz only. Opening a command prompt and pinging to google I get request timed out and some pings not going through. I even tried factory resetting my Orbi system and only having my main device plugged in and I'm still getting the issue. Nothing changed in my setup before this issue started happening. Its insane netgear doesnt have any form of live support unless you pay for it so here I am desperately making this thread just wanting my internet to go back to normal.

Message 1 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

It looks like you have been fairly creative in trying to pin down the cause of the problem.

WiFi parameters would seem unlikely to cause ping issues with a wired computer, especially when wired directly to the RBR50 router.

• Are there any new devices on the network?
  • Doing the ping from the Orbi router would seem to rule out the computer as the source of the problem.
    What happens when you unplug the Orbi and connect the computer directly to the ISP modem?
  • What (specifically) is the ISP modem?
Message 2 of 8
imrazzed
Aspirant

There has been no new devices on the network, the computer definitely isnt the source of the problem as I've tried 3 different pc's and multiple consoles and the problem persists throughout. Pluggin directly into the modem I haven't seen any issues. The ISP's modem is a Arris BGW210-700, this problem originally started a few weeks ago so I went through with my ISP first and they even came out and replaced all their products here and the problem is still happening.

Message 3 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

This Arris model is a combination modem/telephone/router/WiFi unit.  Although having "two routers" seems to work for many people, the concensus is that this is "not good".  One of them should be made "not a router" and "not broadcasting WiFi".

Message 4 of 8
imrazzed
Aspirant

Would turning my orbi into AP mode fix that?

Message 5 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Thre are two choices:

• Make the Arris "only a modem", or
  • Put the Orbi into Access Point mode.

Either way, the Arris should be configured to turn off WiFi.

Putting the Orbi into AP mode means that the Arris will manage ALL router functions (asigning IP addresses, port forwarding, firewall, etc.)

Features unique to Orbi do not apply in AP mode, such as Disney Circle and Bitdefender Armor.

Message 6 of 8
imrazzed
Aspirant

Ill give that a try, thanks! 🙂

Message 7 of 8
imrazzed
Aspirant

I tried doing it both ways and neither of them have fixed the issue sadly 😞

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors