Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 Router Firmware Version V2.7.2.102

mrfranc
Apprentice

Orbi RBR50 Router Firmware Version V2.7.2.102

A new Router Firmware Version V2.7.2.102 installed automatically during the night. So far so good!

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 132
alokeprasad
Mentor

Thats not listed on the download page.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50.aspx

What do the Release Notes say? I bet it is about security fixes.

Pretty gutsy of Netgear to push an update to the device without giving the user a chance to opt out ...

Message 2 of 132
alokeprasad
Mentor

This was released on 12/23.  Could be related to that.

https://kb.netgear.com/000062737/Security-Advisory-for-Pre-Authentication-Stack-Overflow-on-Some-Rou...

Googling PSV-2020-0224 gives more information on this exploit.

PS: My RBK50 is still happy with 2.5.2.4.  No new updates detected by the device.  Funny how these things work....

Message 3 of 132
GMoGoody8
Luminary

Looks like the update is for people who were using the US version, 2.7.1.60.

Mine didn’t auto update. I just installed this version now too.
Message 4 of 132
alokeprasad
Mentor

Its like thay have 3 distinct lineages existing in parallel: 2.5.X, 2.6.X and 2.7.X

You'd think this would result in more complicated tech support. 

It is better, in general, to have one tested and tried platform and have that intalled on their user base.

Message 5 of 132
GMoGoody8
Luminary

I 100% Agree. It really is annoying and potentially can get non techie owners into trouble. NGs customer service isn't the greatest so most people com here. I think they  break down to this now 

2.5.X --> Outside US and people that don't subscribe to armor or parental controls.
2.6.X --> This is the more recent 2.5.X
2.7.X --> US Armor and Parental Control subscribers. 

I accidenatally went to the 2.7 some time back  and I am hesitant to revert to 2.5.X/2.6.X as I don't use parental controls or armor. I decided to stay even with the annoying App popups at times to "setup/subscribe" to those services. 

Message 6 of 132
vajim
Master

@mrfranc wrote:

A new Router Firmware Version V2.7.2.102 installed automatically during the night. So far so good!

Automatically?

Message 7 of 132
alokeprasad
Mentor

@GMoGoody8 wrote:

I I think they  break down to this now 

2.5.X --> Outside US and people that don't subscribe to armor or parental controls.
2.6.X --> This is the more recent 2.5.X
2.7.X --> US Armor and Parental Control subscribers. 

That would explain my staying at 2.5.2.4, as I don't use Armor or parental control either.

However, their security page implies that they are applying the fixes to the later versions only.  Which is troubling.

Message 8 of 132
tagteam
Virtuoso

@vajim wrote:

@mrfranc wrote:

Automatically?

Do we have a universal definition of "automatically" for this purpose. For example, I was on 2.7.1.60 and the new firmware (2.7.2.102) "automatically" downloaded when I checked for updates (that was the first time new firmware downloaded, using the web UI, in a long, long time). I installed it (via the "Update All" button) without experiencing any issues (thus far).

In the past, when new firmware downloaded (as I described above - after checking), the firmware would just sort of sit there and then install sometime overnight. I suppose that would be (or should be) considered "automatically installed".

Message 9 of 132
vajim
Master

@tagteam wrote:

@vajim wrote:

@mrfranc wrote:

Automatically?

Do we have a universal definition of "automatically" for this purpose. For example, I was on 2.7.1.60 and the new firmware (2.7.2.102) "automatically" downloaded when I checked for updates (that was the first time new firmware downloaded, using the web UI, in a long, long time). I installed it (via the "Update All" button) without experiencing any issues (thus far).

In the past, when new firmware downloaded (as I described above - after checking), the firmware would just sort of sit there and then install sometime overnight. I suppose that would be (or should be) considered "automatically installed".

IMHO...'automatically' means you go to bed and when you wake up there's a new FW installed.  You did nothing.  In your case I would not call that automatic for you had to click a button and authorize/request the update.

Many feel that because the app or web login indicates there is a new FW available you must install.  That is NOT the case and goes to what has been discussed here (both sides) about how you the user has a choice which was not always the case in the past.  Itr is my understanding that if NG feels you NEED a update then those are the ones that are pushed auto pilot.

Message 10 of 132
tagteam
Virtuoso

@vajim wrote:
IMHO...'automatically' means you go to bed and when you wake up there's a new FW installed.  You did nothing.  In your case I would not call that automatic for you had to click a button and authorize/request the update.

But all I actually did, initially at least, was simply click the "Firmware Update" link in the "Administration" section of the web UI; the new firmware then downloaded without further intervention on my part.

I chose to install the firmware immediately, yes, but I'm fairly certain it would have installed itself during downtime (probably overnight) had I done nothing. I would call the foregoing procedure "automatic", at least somewhat.

Message 11 of 132
vajim
Master

@tagteam wrote:

@vajim wrote:

I chose to install the firmware immediately, yes, but I'm fairly certain it would have installed itself during downtime (probably overnight) had I done nothing. I would call the foregoing procedure "automatic", at least somewhat.

That's a huge assumption.  However, you may be able to determine if it's true IF others report that it showed up in their system 'automatically'. No clicking allowed.

From my personal experience the ones that are auto-pushed are few and far between.  In that past this was the opposite for everything was pushed.  Then users wanted wanted freedom and whined and complained.  

But if your recent FW update works for you, then life is good.

Message 12 of 132
tagteam
Virtuoso

@vajim wrote:

@tagteam wrote:

@vajim wrote:

That's a huge assumption.  However, you may be able to determine if it's true IF others report that it showed up in their system 'automatically'. No clicking allowed.

From my personal experience the ones that are auto-pushed are few and far between.  In that past this was the opposite for everything was pushed.  Then users wanted wanted freedom and whined and complained.  

But if your recent FW update works for you, then life is good.

I agree that I am assuming the install would happen automatically (overnight), but then that has been the procedure for other firmware versions that I did not choose to install immediately but appeared after clicking that link in the web UI; the new firmware downloaded, just sat there, and then the next day I discovered it had been installed.

Message 13 of 132
GMoGoody8
Luminary

Mine wasn’t automatic but both the web GUI and app notified me instantly there was an upgrade. Usually I manually install through support download page, but as of this morning this FW was not listed. I really think this was a major security update.
Message 14 of 132
vajim
Master

Major updates are usually pushed auto pilot.    Good luck.  

Message 15 of 132
John_Ba
Luminary

Message 16 of 132
mrfranc
Apprentice

Yes! Went to bed last night, and when the kids woke me up this morning, I have a notification on the phone from the Orbi app staying the my router has been successfully upgraded.
Message 17 of 132
vajim
Master

good

lets hope it's a good one.

Message 18 of 132
aaronka
Guide

100% Auto-push update on my RBR50. Went from V2.7.1.60 to V2.7.2.102 without any kind of input from me.  Also, my RBS50 did not get an update and is still stuck on V2.7.1.60.    Admin status page for Firmware update shows no updates for my router but sits in the "Please wait a moment...." status for my satellite, then it goes to something like "failed to update".  Everything seems fine with my network so not concerned yet.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 19 of 132
StevenOrbi
Tutor

Yes mine upgraded automatically overnight and has initially fixed the iOS App not showing connected devices and eliminated the CDI... error when clicking the device icon.

I wish QA of their updates we way better.
Message 20 of 132
DerDoc
Luminary

Merry Christmas!

Received an email that there is an important security update for my RBK50.

After I couldn't find anything on the german website I decided to look into the US community. 

Funny to get an email for an update that's not made for me (it's US only!).

Message 21 of 132
tagteam
Virtuoso

So it is mid-afternoon, Eastern time in the U.S., on December 26th and v2.7.2.102 is still not on the download site. ????????

Message 22 of 132
FURRYe38
Guru

May not be seen for manual download until they decide to put it up there. Could be days or weeks. 

@tagteam wrote:

So it is mid-afternoon, Eastern time in the U.S., on December 26th and v2.7.2.102 is still not on the download site. ????????

Message 23 of 132
FURRYe38
Guru

Release Notes:  V2.7.2.102
[Bug Fixes] Fixes the device manager display issue on the Orbi app.

Message 24 of 132
FURRYe38
Guru

Looks like NG may have fixed the ARP storm issue with RBS Ethernet connected behind switches. 

I see that the ARP Storm still happens however it seems to stop on it's own and settles in after about 2-3 minutes after the RBS is ethernet connected behind the LAN switch.

AP Mode:

RBR50APmode2Switch2RBSAfter2minutes.pngRBR50APmode2Switch2RBSAfter3minutes.png

Router mode: RBR50RouterMode2Switch2RBS.png

I think NG could tune this a bit more to to get less ARP occurance. Though this is a start. 

Message 25 of 132
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7