Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 Router Firmware Version V2.7.2.102

alokeprasad
Mentor

Thx for the explanation.

"The Orbi smartphone "app" can connect to the Orbi remotely by going through the Netgear "Cloud".

Thats the reason I want to have nothing to do with it!!  Companies get hacked and passwords get leaked or guessed.

For someone like me, who has no need for remote management of anything, it is nice that I can disable remote administration (and not open ports on the NAT), not enable VPN.  As for Anywhere Access, it is what it is. But I wish it wasn't.

Ideally, if someone wants to administer my router, switches, they should need to physically connect to my LAN with Ethernet cable. There should be a way to set things up that way.

But it isn't Smiley Sad

Message 76 of 132
jdy0204
Tutor

I seem to be having significant issues post firmware update.  I got a notification that security updates were available, so I installed them thinking it would be fine.  Now my RBR50 shows up as offline and my internet connection for wireless is dropping regularly.  This impacts my cellphone, chromecasts, smart lightbulbs, and security cameras.  I have rebooted the router a few times, rebooted/reset the modem, etc.  I'm not sure what is causing the issue but it is really frustrating.  Right now the app shows internet is offline but I'm writing this post on my laptop via wifi.  This is very strange. I have also been getting some credential issue notifications while using wifi on my devices.  

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 77 of 132
CrimpOn
Guru

@alokeprasad wrote:

@CrimpOn wrote:

No, Anywhere Access can be turned off only on the Orbi "app".  The web interface knows nothing about Anywhere Access.

Which is dumb.  Anyone with access to my Netgear password (passwords do get leaked or guessed.. maybe not mine Smiley Happy but there are people who use easy to guess passwords) can then turn it on and muck around with my network.

I have never seen an explanation of how Anywhere Access works, but my impression is that it can be turned on only when the Orbi app is connected to the Orbi over the local LAN.  I have a vague impression that the Orbi serial number is involved in the Cloud connection.  So, a hacker knowing the Netgear login for someone could not load up the Orbi app and connect to the Orbi remotely.

Message 78 of 132
Jgoldsti
Star

Have been running 102 for several days without any issues

Model: CATRBR50-100NAS|Orbi Premium CAT5e Flat Ethernet Cable
Message 79 of 132
tagteam
Virtuoso

@Jgoldsti wrote:

Have been running 102 for several days without any issues

Same here; seems fairly solid but then I have been running ALL of the firmware updates for well over 3 years without any issues.

Message 80 of 132
alokeprasad
Mentor

@CrimpOn wrote:

@alokeprasad wrote:

@CrimpOn wrote:

No, Anywhere Access can be turned off only on the Orbi "app".  The web interface knows nothing about Anywhere Access.

Which is dumb.  Anyone with access to my Netgear password (passwords do get leaked or guessed.. maybe not mine Smiley Happy but there are people who use easy to guess passwords) can then turn it on and muck around with my network.

I have never seen an explanation of how Anywhere Access works, but my impression is that it can be turned on only when the Orbi app is connected to the Orbi over the local LAN.  I have a vague impression that the Orbi serial number is involved in the Cloud connection.  So, a hacker knowing the Netgear login for someone could not load up the Orbi app and connect to the Orbi remotely.

You are correct. 

I have Anywhere Access turned off. When switched to LTE connection on my iPhone, the Orbi app says that there are no registered Orbi devices available and asks me to connect locally to WiFi of my Orbi to make any changes.  Or words to that effect.

Message 81 of 132
jdy0204
Tutor

After having quite a few issues I did a factory reset and now I'm not having any issues with the new firmware.
Message 82 of 132
FURRYe38
Guru

What issues were you seeing before the reset? Glad the reset worked as it's a normal troubleshooting step to try when problems are seen. 

Thanks for letting us know, 

@jdy0204 wrote:
After having quite a few issues I did a factory reset and now I'm not having any issues with the new firmware.

Message 83 of 132
jdy0204
Tutor

See my earlier comment. It was having intermittent issues with internet connectivity and the satellite and the router were alternating disconnecting. Wired connections were fine.
Message 84 of 132
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, Thanks for letting us know the reset worked. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@jdy0204 wrote:
See my earlier comment. It was having intermittent issues with internet connectivity and the satellite and the router were alternating disconnecting. Wired connections were fine.

Message 85 of 132
aaronka
Guide

Still can't my RBS50 to update to the same firmware as the RBR50, I guess I will have to wait until it is available for download.  I still don't have a good explanation as to why my RBR50 was forced updated in the first place though.

From the Advanced - Administration - Firmware Update page

Netgear No Update.jpg

On the Attached Devices Page

Netgear Disconnected.jpg

Message 86 of 132
FURRYe38
Guru

You try a factory reset on the RBS and RBR? 

@aaronka wrote:

Still can't my RBS50 to update to the same firmware as the RBR50, I guess I will have to wait until it is available for download.  I still don't have a good explanation as to why my RBR50 was forced updated in the first place though.

From the Advanced - Administration - Firmware Update page

Netgear No Update.jpg

On the Attached Devices Page

Netgear Disconnected.jpg

Message 87 of 132
aaronka
Guide

Since I'm only having cosmetic issues with it I'm not willing to go down that rabbit hole. I would like to know how to prevent future forced updates though.
Message 88 of 132
FURRYe38
Guru

Hopefully NG will post FW files so you can update the RBS manually. 

Good Luck. 

Message 89 of 132
CrimpOn
Guru

@aaronka wrote:
Since I'm only having cosmetic issues with it I'm not willing to go down that rabbit hole. I would like to know how to prevent future forced updates though.

The only method that people have found to block updates is to block access to the Netgear firmware updates web site, which (I believe) requires a router upstream of the Orbi.

Message 90 of 132
AllanSor
Tutor

NG has now posted FW for manual update on the support page !

Message 91 of 132
alokeprasad
Mentor

Not yet (Jan 5, 2021 at 8 AM EST) for RBK50v2

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50v2#download

The firmware may be the same for RBK50 and RBK50v2, but we should not assume that they are. 

The hardware is different and it stands to reason that the firmware could be different too.

Message 92 of 132
FURRYe38
Guru

v102 has been posted and is now available for manual download and manual FW update to the Orbi 50 series system:

Bug Fixes:

Fixes the device manager display issue on the Orbi app.

Download Link:.

https://kb.netgear.com/000062753/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-7-2-102-for-US-Region-Only

This applies to all 50 series Orbi:

Let us know how it works for you. 

Good Luck. 

Message 93 of 132
danny07
Tutor

After upgrading to 2.7.2.102 I clicked on the button to add Special Parental Controls, which said a reboot was required.  After reboot, the entire section for parental controls is missing.  Any ideas how to remedy this besides a reset?Capture.JPG

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 94 of 132
FURRYe38
Guru

v2.7 handles parenal controls differently. v2.7 versions are for US region users only. 

Access controls are located under Advanced tab/Security. If you need Circle support, you'll need to revert back to the FW version you had loaded that supported Circle, I believe v16 or v40 support Circle. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-6-1-40/m-p/1997895/highlight/tr...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-2-5-1-16-Update/m-p/1897955/highlight/tru...

Please post about this over in the Circle forum for help and information regarding Circle:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/bd-p/en-home-circle
Good Luck.

@danny07 wrote:

After upgrading to 2.7.2.102 I clicked on the button to add Special Parental Controls, which said a reboot was required.  After reboot, the entire section for parental controls is missing.  Any ideas how to remedy this besides a reset?Capture.JPG

Message 95 of 132
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

v2.7 handles parenal controls differently. v2.7 versions are for US region users only. 

Why isn't this version offered when users check for updates in the web login area?

Message 96 of 132
FURRYe38
Guru

It's offered if ones system has updated to v60.

Message 97 of 132
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

It's offered if ones system has updated to v60.

Not true ....again..sorry 

and if it were true how would someone NOT have v60?

Message 98 of 132
FURRYe38
Guru

Is true, once I had v60 on my RBR50, v102 appear as an available download in the RBRs FW update web page. Others reported seeing this as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-Router-Firmware-Version-V2-7-2-102/m-p/2031915/high...

ALL avialble FW versions are on NG download site for manual download and manual update as well. Up to users to upate or not. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 99 of 132
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Is true, once I had v60 on my RBR50, v102 appear as an available download in the RBRs FW update web page. Others reported seeing this as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-Router-Firmware-Version-V2-7-2-102/m-p/2031915/high...

ALL avialble FW versions are on NG download site for manual download and manual update as well. Up to users to upate or not. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

And how did you get to v60?

Message 100 of 132
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7