Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 - Satellite Connectivity to internet not working

nvelezpr
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 - Satellite Connectivity to internet not working

Hello there.  I have an Orbi RBR50 that I got from Costco a while back. Firmware version V2.7.3.22.  I have the main router, and two satellites (they came with the package). I am currently using xfinity for my internet (1Gig service), and I have a Netgear CM1100.  I have about 38 devices connected to the router (from cameras, apple tv, amazon firesticks, HD Homerun, computers, TVs, garage door opener, etcetera, etcetera).  Internet connectivity to the main router connected behind the modem works perfectly.  My issue is with the satellites. From time to time, I lose internet connectivity. Backhaul connectivity with the satellites and the router are fine, it is just that the internet doesn't work on the remote satellites, and the devices connected to that specific satellite do not work. When I the satellites off, and go near the main router, the devices will work fine.  When I restart the satellites, then I have internet connectivity again.  Each satelite is less lan 30 feet from the main router.  I keep getting this issue a lot, and I don't know what to do.  I did upgrade the firmarware in the past, and kept having the same issue.  I don't know if this is a router (hardware) defect, or the firmware version (software).  

I also have device restrictions. New devices will need approval to get into my network, if not added, they will be blocked.

I was hoping to see if anyone had this issue and if they resolved it.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 - Satellite Connectivity to internet not working

@nvelezpr wrote:

Yes, I swapped them before. I have done it all! LOL. Except disabling AC though.  The reason why I bought them is because of the meshed connectivity, so removing the satellites will be counterproductive for me though.  I'll disable it for a couple of months, since the issue is usually in a month or so.  Same interval, which is weird...... Thank you!

The system works fine for a whole month, and then devices no longer have internet access? Is it the same day of the month?  Is it every device that is connected to one satellite?  (or to both satellites?)

When a device loses internet, how is it described on the Access Control web page? (Allowed or Blocked?)

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

How are you blocking devices? Access Controls? 

Is any Armor or parental controls enabled on the RBR or Orbi app? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update and not enable any controls or security apps just to see if the problem continues with the RBS? 

Be sure that FW on the RBS is same version being used on the RBR. 

Message 2 of 8
nvelezpr
Aspirant

Hello there, I added the answers to your questions below.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? Two floors condo, about 1,683 sqf
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. - 30 feet or less

How are you blocking devices? Access Controls?  I use the Access Control Page, to block new devices, and it blocks via the MAC Address.

Is any Armor or parental controls enabled on the RBR or Orbi app?  No Armor or parental controls enabled.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update and not enable any controls or security apps just to see if the problem continues with the RBS?  - Yes I did it a couple of times. Do you think that Access control enabled is the one causing it?

Be sure that FW on the RBS is same version being used on the RBR.  - Yes it is, on all of them.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Might try swapping RBS with each other. Or run with just 1 RBS to see if problem appears. 

30 feet or more is recommended. Any less, can cause some problems...though kind of doubt this would cause this problem your seeing. 

I would run with out the Access Controls for a few days to see if the problem appears. If not, then there maybe an issue with this feature. Not the first time AC has caused problems on Orbi systems. 

Message 4 of 8
nvelezpr
Aspirant

Yes, I swapped them before. I have done it all! LOL. Except disabling AC though.  The reason why I bought them is because of the meshed connectivity, so removing the satellites will be counterproductive for me though.  I'll disable it for a couple of months, since the issue is usually in a month or so.  Same interval, which is weird...... Thank you!

Message 5 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@nvelezpr wrote:

The system works fine for a whole month, and then devices no longer have internet access? Is it the same day of the month?  Is it every device that is connected to one satellite?  (or to both satellites?)

When a device loses internet, how is it described on the Access Control web page? (Allowed or Blocked?)

Message 6 of 8
nvelezpr
Aspirant

@CrimpOn  When checking ACm it looks fihe, I don't see anything blocked, it still shows as "allowed."

Message 7 of 8
nvelezpr
Aspirant

Yep, that was the issue!  I've been using it without the AC, and so far no issues (since November 2021).  I really liked the AC feature, but I prefer a steady connectivity.  Thank you for the suggestion, it worked!  Gracias.....

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7