Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 Slow Wired WAN after 2.2.1.210 Upgrade

deanandkt
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 Slow Wired WAN after 2.2.1.210 Upgrade

My system updated automattically this week from 2.1.4.16 to 2.2.1.210.  I have ATT Fiber and would normally get 800/800 before the upgrade.  After the upgrade my up/down is 30/300ish.  I connected my computer directly to the ATT Router (Pace 5268AC) and got 800/800 again.  I have attempted to downgrade back to 2.1.4.16, but after every downgrade, the system automatically upgrades back to 2.2.1.210 before I'm able to test.

The ATT Router is set to passthrough to the Orbi.  This issue just appeared after the latest upgrade.  I attached a speedtest screenshot to show the drastic performance drop.

Has anyone seen similar performance issues?  How do I force the orbi to not upgrade automatically so I can roll back the firmware to test?  I followed the steps in this post and the firmware automatically updated anyway.  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-V1-12-0-18-Discussion/td-p/1320421/page/5

Screen Shot 2018-10-13 at 1.46.18 PM.png

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 28

Accepted Solutions

The Pace modem in DMZ Plus mode ended up being the issue.  I posted a response twice indicating this but for some reason it never actually posted.

View solution in original post

Message 20 of 28

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18/m-p/1647303/highligh...

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually. Hoping NG support can have a look at this. So try this out as well.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649275...

Message 2 of 28
toe
Apprentice
Apprentice

One solution is to return the Orbi's and get something that is not consumer grade. Netgear had so many times to get their firmware right, each and everytime it fails on so many levels. Fixes some issues and breaks others.

They need to learn from Apple, even apple auto-updates, they don't keep on breaking things.

Message 3 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if the suggestions helps any...

@deanandkt wrote:

My system updated automattically this week from 2.1.4.16 to 2.2.1.210.  I have ATT Fiber and would normally get 800/800 before the upgrade.  After the upgrade my up/down is 30/300ish.  I connected my computer directly to the ATT Router (Pace 5268AC) and got 800/800 again.  I have attempted to downgrade back to 2.1.4.16, but after every downgrade, the system automatically upgrades back to 2.2.1.210 before I'm able to test.

The ATT Router is set to passthrough to the Orbi.  This issue just appeared after the latest upgrade.  I attached a speedtest screenshot to show the drastic performance drop.

Has anyone seen similar performance issues?  How do I force the orbi to not upgrade automatically so I can roll back the firmware to test?  I followed the steps in this post and the firmware automatically updated anyway.  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-V1-12-0-18-Discussion/td-p/1320421/page/5

Screen Shot 2018-10-13 at 1.46.18 PM.png

Message 4 of 28
deanandkt
Aspirant

Neither the factory reset with no config changes after boot or the manual code push made the speeds any better.  I'm still getting about 30-50down/300ish up.  This is on the wired connection to the orbi.  A wireless connection to the ATT box is giving me 100down/100up.  The wired connection to the ATT box gives me 800/800.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 5 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

You can revert back to v16 and see if that solves your problem.

You can see if blocking the autoupdater to prevent an update from going back to v210 works as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBK50-firmware-V2-2-1-210-update-slows-WAN-speed-with-30-...

Message 6 of 28
deanandkt
Aspirant

I was able to get the Orbi system back on the .16 code, but the bandwidth was still a problem.  My down for some reason is capped at 50Mbps.  When plugged directly into my AT&T router, I'm still able to get 800/800.  I did a factory reset and the 50mbps down was still in place.

I'm going to contact support about replacing it.

Message 7 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

I presume something is appending with the ATT modem and the Orbi. 

This is wired speed testing correct? 

Change back to AP modem and test. Try a Different PC as well. 

Message 8 of 28
jarvis42
Aspirant

After having slow wired (fine when connected directly to modem at 800+mbps, connected wired to Orbi was ~100mbps) & wireless speeds recently, I tried disabling Daisy Chain as suggested (it was shown as enabled). After Orbi rebooted, speeds went back up to what I expected. 

Message 9 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Crazy that Daisy Chain is effecting performance. Hope NG will fix this. Glad you got it working. 

Enjoy. 

@jarvis42 wrote:

After having slow wired (fine when connected directly to modem at 800+mbps, connected wired to Orbi was ~100mbps) & wireless speeds recently, I tried disabling Daisy Chain as suggested (it was shown as enabled). After Orbi rebooted, speeds went back up to what I expected. 

Message 10 of 28
elguezio
Aspirant

I just found this thread because I'm experiencing the same issue. I'm not sure when it started, though, so I hadn't realized that it might be associated with this firmware upgrade. When I connect directly to my AT&T U-Verse Gateway via ethernet I get 100mbps down and up. When I connect via ethernet or wireless through my Orbi the upload speeds stays the same but the download speed drops to 50mbps. DMZ and everything is configured correctly as described here: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/17804

This router / modem combo worked fine for months. I tried disabling Daisy Chain but that had no effect. Any other ideas? Has anyone been able to downgrade the firmware successfully? Is that safe to do with the security vulnerabilities going around?

Message 11 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

How was the FW upgraded on the Orbi? Auto update? If so, Try a Manual FW load:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18/m-p/1647303/highligh...

Set up from scratch and be sure not to enable any QoS, Traffic Meter or Access controls.

I would also try AP mode on the Orbi as well.

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

@elguezio wrote:

I just found this thread because I'm experiencing the same issue. I'm not sure when it started, though, so I hadn't realized that it might be associated with this firmware upgrade. When I connect directly to my AT&T U-Verse Gateway via ethernet I get 100mbps down and up. When I connect via ethernet or wireless through my Orbi the upload speeds stays the same but the download speed drops to 50mbps. DMZ and everything is configured correctly as described here: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/17804

This router / modem combo worked fine for months. I tried disabling Daisy Chain but that had no effect. Any other ideas? Has anyone been able to downgrade the firmware successfully? Is that safe to do with the security vulnerabilities going around?

Message 12 of 28
elguezio
Aspirant

Thanks @FURRYe38. I believe that I manually upgraded the firmware through the update firmware settings.

My modem / gateway was configured to use DMZ with the Orbi in router mode. The Orbi would give out IP addresses and receive a public one from the router. This worked fine for nearly a year before this slowdown issue.  Per your suggestion, I switched the Orbi to AP mode and, sure enough, the speed went back up to 100mbps.  Thanks for the suggestion!

However, I now am worried I'm in an unsafe, in-between state. Now that I'm using AP mode, the Orbi and all devices on the network are getting IP addresses from the gateway instead of the Orbi. Should I go and disable DMZ mode on the gateway and re-enable all of the security features that were disabled on the gateway? Are there other downsides to this configuration?

Thanks!

Message 13 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, if you configured AP mode on the Orbi, then disable DMZ on the modem. DMZ is only for when you want to use the Orbi in router and and to help with having a double NAT condition since your modem has a built in router as well. 

@elguezio wrote:

Thanks @FURRYe38. I believe that I manually upgraded the firmware through the update firmware settings.

My modem / gateway was configured to use DMZ with the Orbi in router mode. The Orbi would give out IP addresses and receive a public one from the router. This worked fine for nearly a year before this slowdown issue.  Per your suggestion, I switched the Orbi to AP mode and, sure enough, the speed went back up to 100mbps.  Thanks for the suggestion!

However, I now am worried I'm in an unsafe, in-between state. Now that I'm using AP mode, the Orbi and all devices on the network are getting IP addresses from the gateway instead of the Orbi. Should I go and disable DMZ mode on the gateway and re-enable all of the security features that were disabled on the gateway? Are there other downsides to this configuration?

Thanks!

Message 14 of 28

Anyone else have anything to add.  Like the previous poster, my Orbi worked great for a year.  My family was in town for thanksgiving and everyone was complaing on of slow speed on my ATT Gigabit line and Orbi AC3000 system.  Come to find out I too see the 50mbps cap on download now.  Upload is capping out around 250-300mbps.  Of course when I run speed tests directly from my ATT modem I get 800-900 mbps up and down so this is definitely something the Orbi is doing.  I refuse to change my whole network setup as a work around.  I am in DMZ mode on my ATT modem/router and my Orbi is setup as the "brain" of my home network.  There has to be a fix for this that doesn't require me to rework everything.  Please help!

Message 15 of 28
elguezio
Aspirant

I agree. This is a poor work around for an issue that Netgear needs to fix. I've already have started experiencing issues since switching to AP mode.

I've tweeted this issue to Netgear along with a link to this thread: https://twitter.com/NETGEAR

I recommend everyone else do the same. With all of the competition between Google WiFi and the holiday buying season in full swing, hopefully we'll be able to get their attention so they can fix this.

Message 16 of 28

If it helps anyone I tried several configurations this evening with absolutely no change in download speed through the Orbi Mesh RBK/RBR50 system on firmware 2.2.1.210.  I tried enabling/disabling all of the following in various combinations:

Manually reinstalled latest firmware on router and satellite.

Enabled 20/40 MHz Coexistence

Enable WMM (Wifi multimedia) settings on both the 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands

Enable Daisy-Chain Topology

Enable Implicit Beamforming

Enable MU-MIMO

Enable Fast Roaming

Disabled Traffic Meter

Disabled Circle Parental controls and basic parental controls

As a last ditch effort and against every fiber in my being, I did a factory reset of both Router and Satellite and set everything back up again.  I am still seeing a max download of 54mbps and upload is all over the place  from 100mbps up to about 250 mbps.  This is the same whether I am hardwired over ethernet or wifi for my phones/ipads/laptops.

Netgear needs to address this ASAP!  If not, I would like them to refund 90% of my current internet bill starting as of the release date of this firmware,  It is ridiculous that I am paying for Gigabit and due to their shoddy QA work on their forced update to my firmware I am getting less then 10% of my available speed (and thats being generous and saying average case is 500mbps download).  Please let me know where to submit my reimbursement requests.  Your other option would be to give me a full refund for this Orbi system since you broke it so I can go invest in Velop or Google Wifi.  

Message 17 of 28
cheddarbo46
Guide

This could be a modem issue with ATT, specifically the PACE modems:

https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Fiber-Equipment/DMZPlus-mode-in-my-Pace-5268AC-causing-browsing-to-no...

Message 18 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 19 of 28

The Pace modem in DMZ Plus mode ended up being the issue.  I posted a response twice indicating this but for some reason it never actually posted.

Message 20 of 28
elguezio
Aspirant

That's a good find. It looks like our rage at Netgear may have been misplaced. I'll try downgrading the firmware on my PACE modem this evening and will report back.

Message 21 of 28

Yes. Rage definitely misplaced. Netgear support was great though. I have been trying to get a replacement modem/router from Att for about 2 weeks. So far I have requested a different modem 4 times and they have sent me 4 identicle pace modems to the one I already have. Supposedly a tech is coming out tomorrow to ensure i get the right device.
Message 22 of 28
cheddarbo46
Guide

Has anyone found an active / working link to previous firmware for the Pace modem?
Message 23 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

I would also recommend that users ask there ISPs if they support a modem only unit. It's recommended and preferred to use a modem only unit instead of modem router combo units with any external router. 

Good Luck. 

Message 24 of 28
cheddarbo46
Guide

Found a working link for the old PACE / ATT firmware:

http://gateway.c01.sbcglobal.net/firmware/00D09E/10.5.3.527283-PROD/5268.install.pkgstream

After applying the firmware update (and rebooting the modem) I was able to switch back to DMZ+ mode.  I'm getting speeds closer to normal on the Orbi now (about 750 up and down currently).  The interface for the PACE modem is REALLY slow for some reason after going back to the old firmware, but with some patience it paid off.

Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7