Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 and RBS50 constantly disconnect or no internet access

inputchip
Tutor

Orbi RBR50 and RBS50 constantly disconnect or no internet access

This is a fresh install of the Orbi system, hit reset on both units before starting. System works great when it is working, however I am experienceing frequent drops in signal. Sometime it shows connected but no internet access, other times the router SSID disappears altogether, i.e. not broadcasting any signal. 

Modem/Router from ISP: Hitron CGNM-2250 set into bridge mode

Orbi RBR50 (V2.3.5.30) router directly connected to modem via ethernet, 2 feet away

Orbi RBS50 (V2.3.5.30) sattelite about 25 feet away from Orbi Router.

This a is a used Orbi set that I picked up. It looks like V2.3.5.30 is the newest firmware version. 

I contacted the ISP and everything seems normal on their end. 

Anything I can try to get consistant signal and internet access? Really frustrating given the cost of these units. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Firmware 2.3.5.30 (from last summer) is stable.  There is newer firmware on the Netgear support site:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBR50.aspx#download although my guess is that a firmware update is not likely to change things since you have already performed a "Factory Reset".

"Frequent Drops" appears to be one of the common posts, and I do not remember an obvious solution.

It certainly cannot hurt to perform a manual firmware update to 2.5.1.8 on both satellite and router, then "Factory Reset" both of them, and start over.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Firmware 2.3.5.30 (from last summer) is stable.  There is newer firmware on the Netgear support site:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBR50.aspx#download although my guess is that a firmware update is not likely to change things since you have already performed a "Factory Reset".

"Frequent Drops" appears to be one of the common posts, and I do not remember an obvious solution.

It certainly cannot hurt to perform a manual firmware update to 2.5.1.8 on both satellite and router, then "Factory Reset" both of them, and start over.

Message 2 of 8
inputchip
Tutor

I'll give the update to 2.5.1.8 a try.

I just noticed that when the signal drops sometimes the satellite is solid magenta. Which apparently means:
"Solid magenta. Your Orbi satellite ring is solid magenta for 10 seconds if it is unable to obtain the IP address from the router."

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@inputchip wrote:

This is a fresh install of the Orbi system, hit reset on both units before starting. System works great when it is working, however I am experienceing frequent drops in signal. Sometime it shows connected but no internet access, other times the router SSID disappears altogether, i.e. not broadcasting any signal. 

Orbi RBR50 (V2.3.5.30) router directly connected to modem via ethernet, 2 feet away

This a is a used Orbi set that I picked up. It looks like V2.3.5.30 is the newest firmware version. 

Anything I can try to get consistant signal and internet access? Really frustrating given the cost of these units. 

Message 4 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@inputchip wrote:

The OP has stated he's going to try  2.5.1.8......so you might want to file this away.

Message 5 of 8
inputchip
Tutor

After completing the MANUAL update to the newest firmware, the devices seemed to be having even more difficulties staying connected. 

It wasn't until I did a factory reset on both devices that things were staying connected properly, now running on 2.5.1.8. I've been using it for over 5 hours no with no drops in signal. Testing at 320mbps wirelessly on our 300mbps plan! Amazing speed. 

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to do a backup configuration to file for safe keeping later on. Saves time if a reset is needed.

Enjoy.

Message 7 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Be sure to do a backup configuration to file for safe keeping later on. Saves time if a reset is needed.

Enjoy.

I guess we don't need Message 4 of 7

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7