Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 and Slow WiFi Problems with iOS Devices

tsig
Luminary

Re: Orbi RBR50 and Slow WiFi Problems with iOS Devices

@azbrd

just countering your absurd statements:

"DO NOT PURCHASE ANY ORBI PRODUCT IF YOU HAVE WIRELESS APPLE DEVICES

Be aware there is a long-standing issue with Orbi and Apple IOS devices that Netgear

Has completely ignored.  What happens is that over a 24-36hour period wi-fi performace of IOS devices (iphones, iPads etc) will degrade until the IOS device can no longer connect to anything."

This is an obviously incorrect statement.  I (and others) have multiple Apple products working perfectly.

Message 51 of 77
Bandito
Luminary

For those of you who aren’t experiencing any problems with your Orbis, I think that’s wonderful for you and I’m glad that things are working well for you.  However, when you come to this posting to tell us that we are wrong and that there are no issues with the system, seemingly implying that we’re wrong or just whiny, isn’t helpful at all and is basically mean a cruel.

I have read through all of the posts regarding these issues here and elsewhere and what I’ve seen is people spending countless hours performing troubleshooting and trying various settings to see if they can narrow down the problem.  I, myself, have spent many, many hours performing troubleshooting and trying various settings to see if they had any impact on the strange behavior I was experiencing with the Orbis.  That and the fact that I never had any WiFi issues on any other WiFi network hardware, that replacement of the Orbis has resolved all of the problems can only lead one to a single conclusion.  The Orbis are causing the issues.  Attempting to deny this fact is pointless and contributes nothing to this conversation nor does it help to rectify the situation.

So, in summary, if your Orbis are working well, great.  It’s nice to hear that they have the potential to work properly, but don’t try to deny that there aren’t problems for others.  Please try and contribute meaningful, helpful suggestions for what may be happening to us.

I think that the Orbis have great potential and when they work correctly, they perform extremely well and are definitely the fastest system that I’ve experienced.  However, as they have proven to me to be unreliable over the long term, I have to find them fatally flawed at this point.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 52 of 77
naerok
Apprentice

I feel like I repeat myself a lot in these forums.

I've posted something similar here before but here goes nothing:

there's an issue documented in this post: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/What-you-can-expect-with-your-Orbi-system/m-p/1503034#M23257 that many people have experienced with no concrete solution.

good luck - so far the only solution seems to be putting a smart outlet / timer on your satellite(s) to reboot them once every 24 hours (I'm not joking) or rolling back the firmware (but I still see people saying they experience the same issues on the older firmware)

see this guy: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-satellite-dropping-connection/m-p/1512445#M24230

I really don't understand the people here that think repeating the same things blindly (have you tried disabling beam forwarding? mimo? have you tried spinning in a circle 4 times while holding the orbi above your head and dancing with it?) and talk down on the users that experience real issues.

I'm happy to see that the majority of people have their Orbis working well.  However, for people to say "The HW works as its stands" and to say "It's when it's set up by users and the environments that will start to see various issues" undermines the people that have gone through troubleshooting and faced numerous headaches from these disconnect issues.

Again, I appreciate people that are trying to help the community but it really rubs me the wrong way when this is most definitely an issue with the Orbi under certain network conditions and you blame the user setting it up - especially after I've spent the last few weeks pulling my hair out debugging this issue with no solution (except rebooting satellites multiple times a day) until I replaced the Orbi system completely.  
Message 53 of 77
tsig
Luminary

It is a counter point to those that claim the sky is falling.  Read thru the Google forums or the Velop forums, plenty of people there have problems as well. 

Wouldn't want someone considering purchasing this product to ASSuME that it is unanomously problematic.  It isn't.

Message 54 of 77
azbrd
Guide

@tsig

I'm sorry you feel this is an incorrect statement and for your system it might be but for many of us we are experiencing. and issue that requires us to reboot our Orbis every 24-26 hours, which is something I NEVER had to do with the previous Netgear nighhawk X6.  I would be interested to know how many total devices you have connected to your Orbi system, in my case I have >50 devices with >30 of them wireless at anyone time.

I'm also running multiple wired devices connected at 1g through multiple Netgear switches (>60 actual ports).  

For the record I work in IT, i'm a storage architect and have been doing FC & IP storage for over 25 years.  I work on 10g and 40g enterprise class networks everyday, dealing with a simple home wire/wireless network is extreamly simple compared to that.

Model: RBK52W| Orbi Router + 2 Wall-Plugs Orbi WiFi System, RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 55 of 77
Donminican
Aspirant

Thank you for your posts! I’ve been having numerous issues with my Orbi RBR50 + 2 satellites (Costco Deal) since shortly after I bought it. My iPhone X gets stuck on the 2.4Ghz network and my download speeds were terrible! Supposed to be at 117MBps and getting 10... when I checked the speed through the new and improved Orbi App it says 115MBps! So frustrating! I have a Apple heavy house with and average of 29 devices connected wirelessly at any given moment. I rebooted the Router as suggested herein and everything is working again. The problem is, many of my devices are home Smart devices I’ve invested in mainly for security purposes to make it appear someone is home when we are out of town in addition to Samsung Wifi cameras. These issues worry me in regards to security because no one will be home to restart the router once a day while we’re gone!

And don’t even get me started about FaceTiming! The person I’m calling consistently tells me they see “poor connection” on their end while FaceTiming with me when I’m FaceTiming from home. What a joke!

Long story short, misery loves company so thank you all for sharing your experiences! I now know I’m not alone!!!!

Very thankful that I bought this system from Costco and I have the option to find something better with NO impact financially:-)

There is a majority stake in me that wants to see all these things get resolved in a new FW update... I guess I’m either stubborn, lazy or nieve! Regardless... gotta love Costco’s policy on customer satisfaction!

Don

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 56 of 77
Bandito
Luminary

I thought that I'd come back to this topic and update you all on what has been happening since my last post.

I moved to the Linksys Velop, but wasn't really happy with the download speeds which averaged about 100Mbs whereas my Internet service is 150Mbs.  So, i did a factory reset on the Orbi system, enabled Beamforming and MU-MIMO and disabled daisy-chaining as I want a spoke-and-hub setup.  I plugged this into my main router and ran it in parallel to the Linksys Velop network for about three weeks.  The Orbi system held up over this time and I didn't experience any problems or slowdowns during this time.

So, the next step was to take down the Linksys Velop network, rename the SSID on the Orbi Network to the normal network name and adjust the network addressing scheme to a 172.16.x.x format for my network.  Since I have done this, about two weeks now, I still have not had any issues <knocks on wood> and the network has been running at high speeds with Speedtest showing that I'm getting the full 150Mbs Internet service in all of my regular use locations.

In my case, the full factory reset and susbsequent re-creation of my network setup seems to have solved the stability problems.  So, maybe there's hope for the Orbis afterall.  They certainly do perform better than the competition. 

Message 57 of 77
Bandito
Luminary

Well, here we are just a few days later and my Orbi System is back to its old tricks.

When I went to check on then wireless network’s status today, I got abysmal results on a speed test from my iPhone, but great results from my iPad.  I logged into the router to see where and how things were connected and found that the iPad was connected to one of the satellites on 5G, so it looked like the router and the satellite were functioning correctly.  The iPhone, however, was connected to the router, but on 2.4G.  I turned WiFi on and off and even rebooted the iPhone, but it would only connect on 2.4G no matter what I tried.  It did switch to the satellite after the reboot, but the connection was still very bad speed wise.  it was much lower than it should have been even for a 2.4G signal.

So, next I rebooted the router and then the iPhone jumped on the 5G network and all was well again.  This is very similar to what was happening to me before.  Now the system seems to be stable for a longer period of time, but still gets crazy/confused after a while with very strange inexplicable results.  This is all with the 2.1.4.16 firmware, which is the current version that’s available for the system.

I’m going to try it for another couple of weeks, but if it’s still unstable, I’ll be going back to the Velop system.

Message 58 of 77
FURRYe38
Guru

Something you might ask NG support for an RMA for if you feel you've done everything to keep it running.

@DarrenM

@Bandito wrote:

Well, here we are just a few days later and my Orbi System is back to its old tricks.

When I went to check on then wireless network’s status today, I got abysmal results on a speed test from my iPhone, but great results from my iPad.  I logged into the router to see where and how things were connected and found that the iPad was connected to one of the satellites on 5G, so it looked like the router and the satellite were functioning correctly.  The iPhone, however, was connected to the router, but on 2.4G.  I turned WiFi on and off and even rebooted the iPhone, but it would only connect on 2.4G no matter what I tried.  It did switch to the satellite after the reboot, but the connection was still very bad speed wise.  it was much lower than it should have been even for a 2.4G signal.

So, next I rebooted the router and then the iPhone jumped on the 5G network and all was well again.  This is very similar to what was happening to me before.  Now the system seems to be stable for a longer period of time, but still gets crazy/confused after a while with very strange inexplicable results.  This is all with the 2.1.4.16 firmware, which is the current version that’s available for the system.

I’m going to try it for another couple of weeks, but if it’s still unstable, I’ll be going back to the Velop system.

Message 59 of 77
Bandito
Luminary

Unfortunately, the problems have been going on for too long and the warranty has long since expired.  So, I’m on my own with this one.

The latest that I’ve experienced is that the problem may lie with just one of the satellites.  It goes bonkers every 3-5 days and must be reset.  The router has been, so far, unaffected by the satellite’s problems and has not required a reboot in quite some time.  Also, the other remaining satellite seems to be holding up on its own.

Message 60 of 77
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like you've narrowed it down. I wish you could get an RMA for the one bad satellite. Something you could ask the forum moderator about and see. If not, if you need a 2nd satellite, might find one on amaxon or fleabay. 

Glad the system is working better otherwise. 

@Bandito wrote:

Unfortunately, the problems have been going on for too long and the warranty has long since expired.  So, I’m on my own with this one.

The latest that I’ve experienced is that the problem may lie with just one of the satellites.  It goes bonkers every 3-5 days and must be reset.  The router has been, so far, unaffected by the satellite’s problems and has not required a reboot in quite some time.  Also, the other remaining satellite seems to be holding up on its own.

Message 61 of 77
imranar
Tutor

Hi All;

Thanks for the wealth of discussion in this topic. I'm facing similar issues albeit very particular to a certain model of iPhone. I have found a solution that seems to work so far and am testing it for a few days to assess if it's a permanent solution. Do note that my Orbi system is a certified refurbished set from Amazon.

Current setup:

Fiber Broadband (ONT Modem) -> Orbi RBK50 Router => Orbi RBS50 Satellite

Wired Devices:

1. Synology NAS DS1518

Wireless Devices:

1. iPhone 8

2. iPhone 7

3. iPad Pro 9.7

4. HP Elitebook

5. Samsung Galaxy S9+

6. Samsung Chromebook Pro

7. 3 units of LG Smart TVs

8. HP Wireless Printer

==

All of my network devices work happily with the Orbi with the exception of the iPhone 8, which exhibits the intermittent & laggy symptoms discussed in this thread and many others. My suspicion was initially that the iPhone 8 had a buggy wireless antenna and had the iPhone RMAed since it's under warranty. However, to my surprise, even the new iPhone 8 exhibited the same symptoms.

Workaround - Alternative Wireless Repeater

I had a suspicion that the wireless connectivity between the Orbi & the iPhone was somehow not working out and decided to isolate that. I tested the iPhone 8 at a different location on both 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz with no problems. I then installed a wireless repeater in my home network that connects to the Orbi via a wireless backhaul. Interestingly, the connection improved but was still flaky. I decided to isolate the next logical layer, which is the router stack.

Current Solution - Alternative Router

I then dusted off my previous Luma router, configured the Orbi in AP mode and my current setup is as follows:

Fiber Broadband (ONT Modem) -> Luma Router -> Orbi RBK50 (AP Mode) => Orbi RBS50 Satellite

At the time of writing this post, all of my devices on the network are happily getting along. I'm going to monitor the situation for at least a week and report back here if it is stable as a permanent solution.

However, this does not shed any light on the root cause of the issue. I'm not sure if my refurbished set is still faulty per se, but the behaviour specific to the iPhone  8 is baffling.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 62 of 77
FURRYe38
Guru

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Also Advanced Wireless Settings both 2.4GHz and 5GHz changed CTS/RTS Threshold to 2307.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR40-RBS40-V2-1-4-16-mesh-network-drops-connection-to/m-...
I changed the CTR/RTS threshold values for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz (2341 and 2345 respectively), changed preamble modes to long preamble, and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only.  

I would try the above suggestions in router mode however...

@imranar wrote:

Hi All;

Thanks for the wealth of discussion in this topic. I'm facing similar issues albeit very particular to a certain model of iPhone. I have found a solution that seems to work so far and am testing it for a few days to assess if it's a permanent solution. Do note that my Orbi system is a certified refurbished set from Amazon.

Current setup:

Fiber Broadband (ONT Modem) -> Orbi RBK50 Router => Orbi RBS50 Satellite

Wired Devices:

1. Synology NAS DS1518

Wireless Devices:

1. iPhone 8

2. iPhone 7

3. iPad Pro 9.7

4. HP Elitebook

5. Samsung Galaxy S9+

6. Samsung Chromebook Pro

7. 3 units of LG Smart TVs

8. HP Wireless Printer

==

All of my network devices work happily with the Orbi with the exception of the iPhone 8, which exhibits the intermittent & laggy symptoms discussed in this thread and many others. My suspicion was initially that the iPhone 8 had a buggy wireless antenna and had the iPhone RMAed since it's under warranty. However, to my surprise, even the new iPhone 8 exhibited the same symptoms.

Workaround - Alternative Wireless Repeater

I had a suspicion that the wireless connectivity between the Orbi & the iPhone was somehow not working out and decided to isolate that. I tested the iPhone 8 at a different location on both 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz with no problems. I then installed a wireless repeater in my home network that connects to the Orbi via a wireless backhaul. Interestingly, the connection improved but was still flaky. I decided to isolate the next logical layer, which is the router stack.

Current Solution - Alternative Router

I then dusted off my previous Luma router, configured the Orbi in AP mode and my current setup is as follows:

Fiber Broadband (ONT Modem) -> Luma Router -> Orbi RBK50 (AP Mode) => Orbi RBS50 Satellite

At the time of writing this post, all of my devices on the network are happily getting along. I'm going to monitor the situation for at least a week and report back here if it is stable as a permanent solution.

However, this does not shed any light on the root cause of the issue. I'm not sure if my refurbished set is still faulty per se, but the behaviour specific to the iPhone  8 is baffling.

Message 63 of 77
imranar
Tutor

@FURRYe38: Thank you for sharing the fine-tuned settings and the cross-references. I will definitely give them a go once I finish with my controlled exercise here that's been running for about 48 hours.

Point to note though, all those settings recommended are specifically for the wireless connectivity. Even now, while running in AP mode, I have not made any changes from the default settings and only changed the router role. Everything is running buttery smooth!

My suspicion is that there is a bug or incompatibility between how the Netgear OS performs routing for specifically iOS. I neither have facts nor data to support this theory, but I'm trying to piece a picture together with some research.

I'll keep this post updated on my findings from this exercise and of my research

Message 64 of 77
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds good, keep us posted on what you find out.

@imranar wrote:

@FURRYe38: Thank you for sharing the fine-tuned settings and the cross-references. I will definitely give them a go once I finish with my controlled exercise here that's been running for about 48 hours.

Point to note though, all those settings recommended are specifically for the wireless connectivity. Even now, while running in AP mode, I have not made any changes from the default settings and only changed the router role. Everything is running buttery smooth!

My suspicion is that there is a bug or incompatibility between how the Netgear OS performs routing for specifically iOS. I neither have facts nor data to support this theory, but I'm trying to piece a picture together with some research.

I'll keep this post updated on my findings from this exercise and of my research

Message 65 of 77
imranar
Tutor

@FURRYe38: Update after 72 hours: My laggy network is back and doing further probing by performing controlled speed tests most of my network devices indicate that it affects not only Apple or Android but even my Windows laptops!

A sudden realization came to me. I had added a few other multicast network devices to my home network to extend my HDMI signal from room to room. It suddenly hit me that the multicast traffic might be overwhelming the network and slowing everything down!

So I have promptly disconnected the multicast devices and performance went back to optimal for every other unicast device! I'm going to watch this for a few more days and report back.

*Slaps my brain*

Message 66 of 77
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, that would be a cause. Let it run and then report back.

@imranar wrote:

@FURRYe38: Update after 72 hours: My laggy network is back and doing further probing by performing controlled speed tests most of my network devices indicate that it affects not only Apple or Android but even my Windows laptops!

A sudden realization came to me. I had added a few other multicast network devices to my home network to extend my HDMI signal from room to room. It suddenly hit me that the multicast traffic might be overwhelming the network and slowing everything down!

So I have promptly disconnected the multicast devices and performance went back to optimal for every other unicast device! I'm going to watch this for a few more days and report back.

*Slaps my brain*

Message 67 of 77
Rgentle
Aspirant

I recently split out my 2.4gz to a separate ssid using telnet commands that can easily be googled.. haven’t had the speed issues since on any of my Mac devices (phone, watch, mbp’s). Might be worth a try even though it sort of defeats the purpose.. at least it makes the situation much more bearable.
Message 68 of 77
imranar
Tutor

@FURRYe38

After continuous normal operations for 4 days, I'm glad to report that my home network is performing optimally! As a recap to share with the forum:

Current Setup:

Fibre Broadband (Optical Network Terminal) 1Gbps -> EdgeRouter Lite (ER3) -> Orbi RBR50 (AP Mode) => Orbi RBS50 (Satellite Wireless Backhaul)

Speedtests Average

Wired = 950+Mbps

Wireless = 380+Mbps (5G)

Root Cause Analysis

Multicast traffic from media repeater devices was flooding the network creating too much noise for unicast traffic

Solution

Isolate multicast traffic to a separate network

Commentary

I would also recommend that for users running setups with double NATs; (i.e. Router -> Router) to attempt to either reconfigure in a single router configuration or create a DMZ on the first router.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3175739/network-router/how-to-identify-and-resolve-double-nat-proble...

==

Thank you all for the valuable insight and discussion!

Message 69 of 77
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Glad you found the root cause. I to have media devices and have put them on there own network swtich to isolate them from the main.

Please mark your post as a solution so others will know and benefit from it.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@imranar wrote:

@FURRYe38

After continuous normal operations for 4 days, I'm glad to report that my home network is performing optimally! As a recap to share with the forum:

Current Setup:

Fibre Broadband (Optical Network Terminal) 1Gbps -> EdgeRouter Lite (ER3) -> Orbi RBR50 (AP Mode) => Orbi RBS50 (Satellite Wireless Backhaul)

Speedtests Average

Wired = 950+Mbps

Wireless = 380+Mbps (5G)

Root Cause Analysis

Multicast traffic from media repeater devices was flooding the network creating too much noise for unicast traffic

Solution

Isolate multicast traffic to a separate network

Commentary

I would also recommend that for users running setups with double NATs; (i.e. Router -> Router) to attempt to either reconfigure in a single router configuration or create a DMZ on the first router.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3175739/network-router/how-to-identify-and-resolve-double-nat-proble...

==

Thank you all for the valuable insight and discussion!

Message 70 of 77
w1ns
Aspirant

I encountered this too. It happens on my iPhone and also on my mac. My solution when using mac is just using Chrome instead of Safari because the slowness doesn't affect Chrome.

Then one day I disabled parental control from Orbi and until now it works like a charm

Message 71 of 77
Bandito
Luminary

Interesting, but I’ve never enabled Parental Controls on my system, so it’s definitely not that.

I did discover something intriguing earlier this week, however.  As usual, after about three days of use my iPhone slowed down again.  I thought to check my iPad and it was working at full speed.  Strange!  So, I disabled WiFi on the iPad for a few seconds and let it reconnect to the satellite.  Once it was reconnected, it too was now at the slow speed.  So, I decided to check a MacBook and it was running at full speed.  So was a PC laptop.  It appears the the problem only effects iOS devices.

To be sure, I rebooted the iPhone, as I have done many times in the past, and it still connected slowly.  The only fix is to reboot the satellite.  So, there appears to be something going on between the satellite and the iOS devices.  I’ll report this to my support engineer tomorrow and see if it points him in any new directions.  I also filed a bug report with Apple to see if they can do anything with it.

And, yes, this is with the latest and greatest firmware that was just released.

Message 72 of 77
FURRYe38
Guru

There has been known issues with v12 iOS here and here. Something to look into more. 

@Bandito wrote:

Interesting, but I’ve never enabled Parental Controls on my system, so it’s definitely not that.

I did discover something intriguing earlier this week, however.  As usual, after about three days of use my iPhone slowed down again.  I thought to check my iPad and it was working at full speed.  Strange!  So, I disabled WiFi on the iPad for a few seconds and let it reconnect to the satellite.  Once it was reconnected, it too was now at the slow speed.  So, I decided to check a MacBook and it was running at full speed.  So was a PC laptop.  It appears the the problem only effects iOS devices.

To be sure, I rebooted the iPhone, as I have done many times in the past, and it still connected slowly.  The only fix is to reboot the satellite.  So, there appears to be something going on between the satellite and the iOS devices.  I’ll report this to my support engineer tomorrow and see if it points him in any new directions.  I also filed a bug report with Apple to see if they can do anything with it.

And, yes, this is with the latest and greatest firmware that was just released.

Message 73 of 77
Bandito
Luminary

@FURRYe38 

It looks like like your links to the other iOS 12 issues didn’t work.  Would you kindly repost them.

I searched on iOS 12 and just got pages and pages of unrelated posts.

I’d like to look into what else is going on.

Thanks!

Message 74 of 77
FURRYe38
Guru

ALL links I posted ARE valid and working.

@Bandito wrote:

@FURRYe38 

It looks like like your links to the other iOS 12 issues didn’t work.  Would you kindly repost them.

I searched on iOS 12 and just got pages and pages of unrelated posts.

I’d like to look into what else is going on.

Thanks!

Message 75 of 77
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 76 replies
  • 30 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7