Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 not reporting bandwidth to Peak Hour 4

agingproduct
Guide

Orbi RBR50 not reporting bandwidth to Peak Hour 4

Hoping someone can help. I have the Orbi RBR50 with two sattellites setup at home. I am using an application called Peak Hour 4 on my mac to monitor traffic through the main router which worked for about 10 minutes and not doesnt report anything. I contacted Peak Hour 4 support and their response was;

Contact your router manufacturer and check for updated firmware for your router. If that doesn't work, request that they fix or properly implement the Internet Gateway Device 2 (IGW2) UPnP specification.

My firmware is running the latest V2.5.1.16 

Does anyone else have the same issue? Is there a known issue with the Orbi firmware?

Does anyone else have a recommendation for an alternative Mac based traffic monitoring tool I can use?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
agingproduct
Guide

Re: Orbi RBR50 not reporting bandwidth to Peak Hour 4

I upgraded to firmware version v2.6.1.40 a few days ago and it seems to have resolved the problem. The fix must be bundled in this version (hopefully). 

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Contact the mfr of Peak Hour 4 for help and informaton on there product. 

Message 2 of 9
agingproduct
Guide

Is there a reason why my posts are being chopped?

Message 3 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@agingproduct wrote:

I have no idea about posts, however...

• My search for "Netgear router SNMP" leads me to conclude that NO Netgear residential routers support SNMP.
    None.  Zero.  Not any.
  • Orbi claims to support UpNP, but there is no documentation to indicate which features of UpNP are supported.
    My guess is that "traffic reporting" is not supported.

It would have been really helpful if the software vendor had some sort of list of "routers that work" and "routers that do not work".
Does not seem like that big a project.
What they do instead is say, "Use our 10 day free trial and quit if  it doesn't work."

Bummer

Message 4 of 9
EdwardLawford
Aspirant

@agingproduct wrote:

It's not just you. I've tried at least five times to post but each time I do, the post disappears almost immediately.

Message 5 of 9
agingproduct
Guide

I'm led to belive that the MAX_INT counter needs to be reset to 0 once the values reach the 32 bit max limit which is what's being reported on my upnp query results from the router.  Should be a quick fix for Netgear. Anyone know how to get this on the Netgear product backlog?

Message 6 of 9
agingproduct
Guide

Update: I rebooted the RBR50 router tonight and Peak Hour 4 is now reporting bandwidth stats... for now anyway. Suggests to me that there is a firmware defect (or lack of functionality) in the Netgear kit. Anyone know how to report this problem?

Message 7 of 9
agingproduct
Guide

Another update:

Rebooting the router only solves the problem temporarily. The UPNP bytes sent/recieved counters max out which needs to be reset when the counter limit is reached. 

I've raised a support ticket with Netgear and 2nd line support who called me today and have passed the problem to the next level support for investigation. Here's hoping that they add it to their product backlog to fix. 

Note: During the phone call from the Netgear support agent, I was asked to put the local IP address of my computer into the Orbi DMZ and also asked to provide my public IP address. When challenged to why this was needed, the service agent said it was optional and not to worry. Anyone know why Netgear support agents want to know personalised details of a customer? Isn't this a way to attempt to get access to a computer remotely?

Message 8 of 9
agingproduct
Guide

I upgraded to firmware version v2.6.1.40 a few days ago and it seems to have resolved the problem. The fix must be bundled in this version (hopefully). 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7