Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 with Firewalla Gold

amelio
Follower

Orbi RBR50 with Firewalla Gold

Hello Community,

I have an Orbi mesh system that's been working fine over the last couple of years; router RBR50, and 2 satellites RBS50. My internet speed from the ISP is usually around ~400 - 450Mbps.

I recently installed a Firewalla Gold (FWG) in front of the Orbi and changed the Orbi into AP mode. Now all my wireless devices are only getting around ~90Mbps. I connected the ethernet cable coming from the FWG into the WAN port of the Orbi and also tried into one of the LAN ports and the results are the same.

Any device connected directly to the FWG or directly attached into the Orbi have no issues, only wireless devices.

Any ideas?

Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 with Firewalla Gold

This post describes conflicting information.

• 90Mbps is a highly suspicious number.  (just under 100Mbps) This quite often is a result of the Ethernet ports on the router and on the upstream device auto negotiating a speed of 100M/Full duplex rather than 1000M/Full duplex.  If the reported speed is over 100Mbps, then this cannot be the situation. (There is no method to 'instruct' Ethernet ports as to which speed they choose.  It is built into the electronics of the Ethernet interface chips.)  There is usually no obvious defect in the Ethernet patch cable or in the Ethernet jacks themselves.  It might be worth an experiment: swap out that Ethernet cable and see if it makes a difference.  (What can it hurt?)
  • If devices 'wired' to the Orbi router report speeds greater than 100Mbps, then this obviously conflicts with the first hypothesis.

It should be the WAN port that is connected to the Firewalla. 

If you have the Orbi app, it would be interesting to know what "Link Rate" wired devices report when connected to the Orbi system.

Message 2 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 with Firewalla Gold

You can check your wan/lan port statistics to see what its connecting at. 

https://kb.netgear.com/24222/How-do-I-display-Internet-port-statistics-on-my-Nighthawk-router

Like @CrimpOn says, that 90 mbps is a bit suspicious. 

And the firewalla gold seems like its got some pretty good controls but quite a few as well that can get fubar'd. It might be worth posting on their forums as well in case its a setting on the firewalla (like qos, data prioritization, bandwidth limiting, etc). 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7