Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR750 Wired Backhaul

ducs4rs
Tutor

Orbi RBR750 Wired Backhaul

I just purchased a RBR750 with two RBS750 Satillites. I updated the firmware to the latest 4.6.5.14_2.0.54. I have the RBR750 setup in AP mode. I set the satillites MAC address in my DHCP server to for specific IP addresses and have a fix IP on the router. They all connect to the network and I can log into the router and satillites IP via a browser.
My network is somewhat complex in that I have the house vlaned. One Satilite goes through 4 switches, the other is connected via a MOCA adapter.

With the R close to the S' the wireless backhaul is setup fine. When I connect via ethernet no backhaul. I decided to try connecting the R and one of the S' with a regular switch (Netgear GS116) IE no vlan capability and still no wired backhaul. What am I missing here? 

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
ducs4rs
Tutor

Re: Orbi RBR750 Wired Backhaul [solved]

Got it all sorted. Since I am using these in AP mode I needed to plug one of the R's LAN ports into my network switch and not use the WAN port. Even though in AP mode the WAN port can be used as a Lan port it just didn't work. Other abmormalities I ran into were the SSID could not be changed and the S's would would not backhaul connect via WIFI once I switched the router backhaul to wired.

To fix this I had to do a factory reset and start again to change the SSID, very frustrating.

I know the majority of people use these as a router but at the price you pay this stuff should work seamlessly. At least put steps like this in the documentation or FAQ.. If this hasn't been QA'd then shame on Linksys. I can't imagine someone without good technical knowlege dealing with this. Don't even get me going on the fact you have to be connected to the internet to set these up to start.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR750 Wired Backhaul

Be sure the RBS are connected to the RBR:

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy... 📡

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX (WiFi 6) products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you

Message 2 of 5
ducs4rs
Tutor

Got it all sorted. Since I am using these in AP mode I needed to plug one of the R's LAN ports into my network switch and not use the WAN port. Even though in AP mode the WAN port can be used as a Lan port it just didn't work. Other abmormalities I ran into were the SSID could not be changed and the S's would would not backhaul connect via WIFI once I switched the router backhaul to wired.

To fix this I had to do a factory reset and start again to change the SSID, very frustrating.

I know the majority of people use these as a router but at the price you pay this stuff should work seamlessly. At least put steps like this in the documentation or FAQ.. If this hasn't been QA'd then shame on Linksys. I can't imagine someone without good technical knowlege dealing with this. Don't even get me going on the fact you have to be connected to the internet to set these up to start.

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Well the front LED will be on as PINK if you don't use the WAN port while in either mode.

Last time I checked mine, the 750 worked in AP mode connected to my host router in router mode. And RBS wirelessly synced though it seemed to take a bit longer than normally to finally go BLUE then turn OFF. And using the RBRs WAN port:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/Orbi-RBR750-and-RBS750-not-syncing-i...

Message 4 of 5
ducs4rs
Tutor

In my home lab I have two virtual routers. One is Opnsense which I use for my main home router. I run a backup Opnsense router on a another box and use that for testing updates. I have a MicroTik RB750 setup as a mid router so I can do the updates and test. This does not disrupt my home network and the test system has access to the internet. The backend of the MicroTik is vlaned like my house.

I also have a virtual Vyos router that I use with my Verizon Router. I have port forwarding setup for all the needed Verizon ports to pass through so I can get to my DVR remotely. Vyos is nice since it easy to script for any WAN changes. For this Verizon port forwarding to work the network has to match the Verizon WAN.

When I setup the Orbi I vlaned the wan port to Vyos.Once setup and the mesh was established I switched from router to ap mode. This was all done while the S' were connected via WIFI. I then I moved the S' to their respected location in the house and connected them via ethernet expecting them to find the Orbi R/AP. But they didn't. After some hair pulling I figured out the Orbi R/AP had to be plugged from one of the lan ports and not the wan port. Even though I could ping and use it. The S' would never connect with the Orbi R in AP mode and ethernet connected to the wan port.

Once I solved that I tried to change the SSID of the mesh. I successfully changed the R but the change would not push to the S'. I figured it might have something to do with using a wired backhaul. I tried to switch back to WIFI backhaul it failed. No amout of resets worked. I had to start from scratch. I finally got it all working. I am guessing if I need to make an SSID or backhaul change I will be starting from scratch again. Not good. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7