Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR850 - SPC/Circle MISTAKENLY activated - Cannot set custom DNS servers?

Batch48
Aspirant

Orbi RBR850 - SPC/Circle MISTAKENLY activated - Cannot set custom DNS servers?

Hardware reference: One Orbi RBR850 + two synced Orbi RBS850 satellites running Netgear firmware version 4.6.3.16_2.0.51. Windows 10 PC using Firefox v92.0.1 and Chrome v94.0.4606.61 browsers to access the Orbi RBR850 web configuration GUI.

Fundamental issue is that I cannot set custom DNS servers on my RBR850 in the web GUI. Custom DNS servers WERE SET previously in the RBR850 device configuration BEFORE accidental SPC/Cirrcle activation.

I MISTAKENLY activated Netgear Smart Parental Controls/Circle from the Orbi app in a dark hazy morning brain fog while fumbling around with the app. I sent email to Netgear Support asking to CANCEL / DEACTIVATE the accidental SPC activation. I received a convoluted email reply from Support containing numerous misspellings and grammatical nonsensicals that did not make it clear in the reply if the SPC/Circle activation was actually cancelled / deactivated on my account & Orbi RBR850 device, or not.

Referencing the Orbi app it is evident that the SPC/Circle activation is NOT cancelled / deactivated but is still ACTIVATED on the registered Netgear account and the registered Orbi RBR850 device. I can't get any further reply from Support re the SPC cancellation request because the original support case was closed following the unclear email reply - followed by a further Support explanation on telephone "...you dont' have an active support contract on your [<1 year old] registered RBR850 device".

WTF?!?!

Reading the numerous threads in the Netgear Community and other various online forums re SPC/Circle conflicting with custom DNS server settings on Orbi devices it appears that the SPC/Circle activation on Orbi devices REMOVES the option to set custom DNS servers from the web GUI. Apparently, SPC/Circle relies on it own DNS servers for DNS filtering to perform the Internet Nanny functions?

So, as mentioned in the various threads and forums as the solution to restoring the DNS servers setting availibility in the Orbi web GUI, I DISABLED SPC from the app, power cycled the modem, power cycled the RBR850, and returned to the web GUI hoping that process resolved the DNS server settings availability issue.

Nope!! No luck!!

The custom DNS server settings availability is still greyed out in the Orbi RBR850 Advance/Setup/Internet Setup tab in the web GUI - even when the 'Use Static IP Address' option is selected.

So, in the continuing effort to resolve the custom DNS server settings availability issue I VERY RELUCTANTLY performed a FACTORY RESET on the Orbi RBR850 and the two synced Orbi RBS850 satellites and went through the network setup process again. That factory reset process was a MAJOR PIA as it wiped out ALL of my previous global network customizations. And... NO CHANGE TO THE DNS SERVER SETTINGS AVAILABILITY IN THE WEB GUI!?!?!

Again... WTF?!?!

So, the fundamental question is...

How can Netgear SPC/Circle be DEACTIVATED / DISABLED / REMOVED sufficient to restore custom DNS server settings availability in the Orbi RBR850 Advanced web GUI?

Alternatively, how can the DNS server settings be hacked / customized and saved to the Orbi RBR850 device if SPC/Circle cannot be deactivated / disabled / removed?

Thank you in advance for the help!!

Message 1 of 20
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR850 - SPC/Circle MISTAKENLY activated - Cannot set custom DNS servers?

Is this a "free trial" or an actual subscription?

Did you activate Circle or the new SPC version?

Message 2 of 20
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR850 - SPC/Circle MISTAKENLY activated - Cannot set custom DNS servers?

When you configured the RBR850 after the Factory Reset, was this using the Orbi "app" or using the Orbi web interface (http://orbilogin.net)

I can see how the Orbi app will remember settings. The web interface should come up with Circle/SPC not activated.

Message 3 of 20
Batch48
Aspirant

SPC is a 'free trial' of the premium service.

I accidentally activated 'Smart Parental Controls Premium Free Trial' - or at least that's what the Netgear email confirmation says.

Message 4 of 20
Batch48
Aspirant

Following fatory reset I configured the network via the app. I believe that I also deleted the Orbi app and reinstalled the app after the factory reset.

Message 5 of 20
CrimpOn
Guru

We Luddites always use the web interface.

I, myself, got into a strange state where I had never activated Parental Controls, but every time I opened the damn app it wanted me to "Complete the configuration".  Was like a 10 gallon enema fixing that situation.

Message 6 of 20
Batch48
Aspirant

Would you recommend that I perform another factory reset on the Orbi devices, delete the Orbi app, use the Orbi web interface to reconfigure the devices and the network, then reinstall the Orbi app on mobile devices?

Message 7 of 20
CrimpOn
Guru

Yes, I would Factory Reset and use the Orbi app to set up the router, including the desired DNS servers.

If you really (seriously, can't live without it) need the app, I imagine reloading and opening it will bring back SPC unless you use a different Netgear account to log in with.

That might get awkward, having the product registration under one account and the app under a different account.

If the goal is to "see what happens", I would not do a whole bunch of set up. Just set the WiFi SSID/password and DNS entries, then fire up the app and see how it goes.

Message 8 of 20
Batch48
Aspirant

After reset can the router be setup using the web interface? Or, must the app be used to setup the router after reset? So far I've only used the app to setup the router. If necessary / preferred, I could connect to the router using wireless PC to perform router setup via the web interface.

Message 9 of 20
CrimpOn
Guru

I have set up Orbies more times than I can count, and have NEVER used the app.
Message 10 of 20
CrimpOn
Guru

A LONG essay on Orbi setup.

Orbi WiFi router can be used "out of the box" with zero setup or configuration.  Plug in the wires and power. The WiFi SSID/password are printed on the product label, and you're up.  This is what people did with the WiFi routers they got from ISP's for over a decade.  And, many still do.  (Witness the number of WiFi access points nearby with such endearing names as ATT_*&^%, Spectrum_^&*, TP-Link(567, etc.)  There are "downsides" to this:

• The default SSID/password may require that every device already connected to the existing WiFi be reconfigured.  Ugh. (This is why I use the exact same SSID/password for every new WiFi router. (a) it avoids having to reconfigure my devices, and (b) if I decide to "go back", they still do not need to be configured.
  • The default configuration does not provide a way to enter user name and password for PPPoE networks.
  • The user may prefer different DNS servers or other configurations.
  • This does not activate any advanced router features (Armor, Parental Controls, DDNS, DMZ, Port forwarding, OpenVPN, emailing log files, restricting access, etc. etc.

Netgear provides a cute smartphone app to "set up" WiFi routers (Nighthawk app for one product line, Orbi app for the Orbi product line.)  This method is quick and easy (when it works), but also provides no access to any of the advanced configuration features.

The web interface, provides ways for the user to configure almost everything about the WiFi router, in much more detail than either of the first two methods.  For someone who wants to exercise a LOT of control over the configuration, I recommend:

• Only do this when you have enough time.
  • Do not change the WiFi SSID/password until the last step.
  • If you want devices to have specific IP addresses, that should be set up before any devices connect to the network. Otherwise, devices will get random IP's assigned from the DHCP pool before the pool is even set up and getting it all straightened out will be a nightmare.
  • If I am doing a Factory Reset on an Orbi, I save the configuration to a file (Advanced Tab, Administration, Save Configuration) before the reset.  Then, while all devices are locked out of the Orbi, I go through the configuration to the point where I can select "Load a saved configuration."  Doing the reload will cause the Orbi to reboot and when it comes up, it will have the entire configuration that had been saved, including all the device IP assignments, and the proper SSID/password.  Every device that connects will get the correct IP.

In your particular case, reloading the config won't work because the whole point is to change the config (the DNS servers).

Sorry to rave on.

Message 11 of 20
Batch48
Aspirant

Ok. Very excellent information. I very much appreciate the Orbi setup rave. I will factory reset all three Orbi devices and I will use the web interface to setup and config the network. I will refer to your excellent Orbi Setup Guide in doing so Thank you for all of the help!
Message 12 of 20
Batch48
Aspirant

Progress update...

Disconnected power from two Orbi RBS850 satellites. Factory reset the Orbi RBR850 router yet again. Connected PC direct to router via Ethernet in order to initialize, setup and config router via web interface and browser config utility. Connected to router via www.orbilogin.net. Setup and initialized router via Orbi Login. Accepted RBR850 default SSID and password. Completed router initialization. Once router was initialized accessed router config utility via browser at 192.168.1.1. Navigated config utility to Advanced/Internet Setup/DNS Address. Ability to set custom DNS server addresses STILL UNAVAILABLE in config utility. Unable to save any DNS server field changes to the RBR850 device.

Some further thoughts on SPC activation disallowing setting custom DNS servers...

My Orbi RBR850 device is registered to my Netgear account. The specific Orbi device appears in the list of my various registered Netgear equipment.

I wonder if the recent accidental SPC activation is now registered to my speciifc RBR850 device by device serial number; or by device CPU ID; or simply by registered Netgear account login?

Is there perhaps a 'check with me' or 'call home' routine that runs when the HTML config utility is launched from any device connected to the registered RBR850 device?

If so, I wonder if that 'call home' routine pulls the SPC activation status for my registered RBR850 device from the Netgear registration server and sets the config utility accordingly to reflect SPC activation - thereby disabling custom DNS server settings in the config utility?
I inspected the HTML code for the DNS server fields. I dont profess to understand HTML code but it DOES appear that the config utility IS checking for SPC activation and setting DNS server fileds availability.

Screen grab of DNS Server fields HTML code in browser config utility. The notes discuss DNS Server setup disabled due to Parental Controls Enabled. I DID disable SPC in the Orbi app - which appears to be the excsive way to disable SPC - but still DNS Server settings are disabled?

Config-Utility-DNS-Fields-Inspect-Element---HTML-Code-LoRes.jpg

For reference... browser config utility screen grabs showing custom DNS server settings unavailable in the factory reset and initialized RBR850 device. IP addresses obscured for privacy -

Orbi-Config-Utility-1-LoRes.jpg

Orbi-Config-Utility-2-LoRes.jpg

Message 13 of 20
CrimpOn
Guru

This is so damn annoying.  One thing I have done in desperation is set the Orbi up without a connection to the modem.

A little known fact is that an Orbi system can function with no internet connection.  (A non-governmental organization running a hospital in the Carribean wanted a WiFi system to connect their laptops to a file server for data collection.  No internet link out in the boonies. Worked fine.)

If the Orbi cannot contact Netgear, then it cannot learn about this SPC activation.

If only there was some way to get through to Netgear support....... damn.

Message 14 of 20
Batch48
Aspirant

Tomorrow I'll try the Orbi RBR850 reset and new setup sans modem & Internet connection. That seems like a good idea. I suspect that approach may allow the custom DNS servers to be set in the config utility and saved to the deivce. But.... I'm bettin' that as soon as the Internet connection is restored to the Orbi RBR850 the SPC activation status will be checked with the registration server and that SPC trial activation will override the custom DNS server settings entered in the config utility. I'll persist trying to contact Netgear Support to convnce them to REMOVE the SPC trial activation from my account & device at the registration server. That may be the only solution to this very frustrating issue and experience.

Message 15 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Smart Parenal Controls product. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Circle and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://www.netgear.com/home/services/smart-parental-controls/
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Smart-Home-Parental/bd-p/en-home-smart-parental-controls
https://kb.netgear.com/000062109/How-do-I-set-up-and-install-NETGEAR-Smart-Parental-Controls
https://kb.netgear.com/000062988/Why-can-t-I-see-the-NETGEAR-Smart-Parental-Controls-tile-in-the-Orb...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/NOTICE-Live-Parental-Control-Service-based-o...

Good Luck

Message 16 of 20
Batch48
Aspirant

Thank you! Will post the question nthe SPC community forum.

Message 17 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 18 of 20
Batch48
Aspirant

So...

I have a POSITIVE DEVELOPMENT to report on this issue!!

Before diving deeper into any further firmware back dates and script implementations in the effort to enable telnet on my RBR850 device I tried ONE MORE factory reset and RBR device reconfig with the RBR device disconnected from the ISP/WAN.

And... SUCCESS!!

I was able to set custom DNS server address in the Advance/Internet Setup page.

And, I was able to successfully apply the DNS server settings to the RBR device and confirm through network device behavior that the network devices are using the custom DNS servers.

So, I am HOPEFUL that the custom DNS server settings will remain persistently saved to the RBR device and that an overnight firmware auto-update will not overwite or erase the custom DNS server settings from the RBR device.

Fingers crossed for a few more days that this works to finally solve the problem.

I will report rmore results in a few days.

Thanks again for all of the continuing forum support help on this issue!

Message 19 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7