Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBS 50 Satelite Wont Mesh

FINITEREX
Guide

Orbi RBS 50 Satelite Wont Mesh

Hi,

I have a RBR 50 with three RBS 50 satelites.  These are in a fairly large home with between 20-30 feet between each satelite from the router.  The problem I am experiencing is that the satelite furthest from the router is connecting backhaul to the router rather than meshing to it's nearest satelite resulting in very poor connectivity.  Is there anyway to resolve this?  Note that the second satelite has happily "daisy-chained" from the first satelite!  The topology currently looks like this:

Router ---- Satelite 1 --- Satelite 2

|--------------------------------------------- Satelite 3

Any help or advise greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBS 50 Satelite Wont Mesh

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS/RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Try moving the RBS 3 out farther from the RBR. 

Also turn down the RBRs radio power from 100% to say 50% and see. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 2 of 6
FINITEREX
Guide

Distances vary between 30 and 35 feet.  Construction is an old barn, so very thick stone walls.  I think satelite 3 is "just" picking up on the RBR but the single from Satelite 2 would be much stronger so makes little sense as to why it's not daisy chaining.  Is there no way to force?

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

No Forcing. 

Try turning down the RBRs power output...

Message 4 of 6
FINITEREX
Guide

Will be giving that a go!

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us now your results...

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors