Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBS50 broadcasting disabled guest ssid

johncvv
Aspirant

Orbi RBS50 broadcasting disabled guest ssid

I am having an issue with my RBS50 satellite broadcasting the guest ssid even though it is disabled.  I am not able to see if from my clients but it shows up in WiFiinfoView.  I have verified it is being broadcast from my satellite as the MAC is the same and if I power off the satellite the network goes away.  I have read a few articles with similar issues the solution seems to be power off the satellite, remove it from the main router, rest the satellite,  and sync the satellite again.  I have done that and am still seeing the network.  It is a fairly minor issue as I am not able to join the network from any of my clients but am concerned there is an open network that maybe used to comprimise my network.  I am running the latest firmware V2.7.2.104 on both the router and the satellite.  Is ther anything else I can try to resolve this issue.

Any information and help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
808stateofmind
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBS50 broadcasting disabled guest ssid

I updated to V2.7.2.104 from V2.7.2.102.  Did factory reset and setup twice.  Both times I noticed that my router and satellites were transmitting NETGEAR-guest ssid unsecured.  I have reverted back to V2.7.2.102 and my issue went away.  I did manual updates from web gui. Has anyone else seen or noticed this?  Please let me know, thanks.  Netgear please look into this matter.

I have seen this too.  I noticed if you let the system run for about 4-5 min, it corrects itself.  The guest ssid will go away, but this is a major issue because before it does, anyone can connect with no password.  I have switched to Voxels and all is well.  If factory firmware would work as intended, I would be on it.

View solution in original post

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 2 of 3

All Replies
808stateofmind
Aspirant

I updated to V2.7.2.104 from V2.7.2.102.  Did factory reset and setup twice.  Both times I noticed that my router and satellites were transmitting NETGEAR-guest ssid unsecured.  I have reverted back to V2.7.2.102 and my issue went away.  I did manual updates from web gui. Has anyone else seen or noticed this?  Please let me know, thanks.  Netgear please look into this matter.

I have seen this too.  I noticed if you let the system run for about 4-5 min, it corrects itself.  The guest ssid will go away, but this is a major issue because before it does, anyone can connect with no password.  I have switched to Voxels and all is well.  If factory firmware would work as intended, I would be on it.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 2 of 3
johncvv
Aspirant

It looks like this maybe a timing issue, I reset the satellite again and no longer see the guest network

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7