Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBS50Yv2 Router - How can I install the Orbi app for my system if my modem is in bridge mode?

cristmo
Aspirant

Orbi RBS50Yv2 Router - How can I install the Orbi app for my system if my modem is in bridge mode?

I've had my Orbit mesh system with two satellites for over a year.  Things have worked fine with one exception.  When I perform a firmware upgrade, my Orbi app can no longer recognize the router or the satellites.  I've performed several set ups but nothing works.  I do have my router in bridge mode and suspect that's the problem.  If so, is there a way to install the app and have my router recognized so I can manage my network from the app?

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
cristmo
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBS50Yv2 Router - How can I install the Orbi app for my system if my modem is in bridge mod

Thank you for sending me to the right forum.  I'll try those.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 10

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBS50Yv2 Router - How can I install the Orbi app for my system if my modem is in bridge mod

RBS50Y is not a router, its a outdoor satellite. 

Do you have a RBR50v2 system? 

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi App product. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi App and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/bd-p/en-home-orbi-app

Message 2 of 10
cristmo
Aspirant

Apologies.  I have a SRR60 router with 2 satellites.  One satellite is an indoor satellite and one is an outdoor satellite.

Message 3 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

I confess to being a bit confused by terminology.  Is this the situation:

Message 4 of 10
Smith008
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

I confess to being a bit confused by terminology.  Is this the situation:

Hello,

Everything is very open with a clear description of the issues. It was truly informative. Your website is very helpful. Many thanks for sharing!

Message 5 of 10
cristmo
Aspirant

My modem is set up in Bridge mode so that I only have 1 network ID active.  You are correct - the existing system is a SRR60 router with one indoor and one outdoor satellite (RBS50Y in extender mode).

I can't, however, connect the Orbi App to the router.  When I originally set up the system, I was able to access the router (and my connected hardware) via the app.  It wasn't until a firmware upgrade came along that my Orbi app kept stating it could not find the router.  I've walked through multiple router setups in an attempt to get the app to work but no success.  I saw a message at some point which stated that I could not use the Orbi app if my modem was in bridge mode.  

I was trying to understand if there were a way to install the Orbi app on my iPhone and get it to recognize my router and network given that my modem is in bridge mode.   Short of contacting my ISP, having them "unbridge" my modem, re-installing Orbi router and the app, and then having my ISP bridge my modem.

Everything else about the network is working fine - I can't "view" it on my iPhone via the app. 

Message 6 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Orbi app is not supporting of Orib Pro systems. Orbi Pro uses InSight app to connect to those systems. 

If your trying to get the RBS50Y to connect to your Orbi Pro system, not sure if the Orib app can or get pass thru data to the RBSY thru the Orbi Pro. 

For Orbi Pro support, Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi Pro products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi Pro and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this router forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AC products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this router forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Pro-WiFi-for-Small-Business/bd-p/en-business-pro-wifi

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you.

Message 7 of 10
cristmo
Aspirant

Thank you for sending me to the right forum.  I'll try those.

Message 8 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@cristmo wrote:

I was trying to understand if there were a way to install the Orbi app on my iPhone and get it to recognize my router and network given that my modem is in bridge mode. 

My modem is "only a modem" (i.e. has only one 'mode') and the Android Orbi app works correctly. The condition of the modem has no effect on the Orbi app.

As for the Orbi app not working on the Pro model, @FURRYe38 has a good point.  It would be just like Netgear to have the Orbi app work with every conceivable model of Orbi except one older product line.  (Pro came out in 2016 at the same time as the residential Orbi and is in fact the exact same hardware loaded with different firmware.) Insight is aimed at "business customers".

Hope someone is watching that forum.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

I ran into same problem with NH app when I had my Orbi in AP mode connected to a NG XR series router. NH app couldn't get pass thru data thru the Orbi system in AP mode to the NG router. Seems that these apps are needed front line and direct connections to there perspective support devices. Smiley Embarassed

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7