Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RKS bricked after update

Swat1871
Tutor

Orbi RKS bricked after update

Hi folks

I have an syno 218j NAS

after using 2.6.1.40 I could`t reach the NAS

updating to 2.7.0.70 same problem

after downgrading the satellite didn´t start

he is bricked

I want to install firmware via tft64, but my LED is green, not orange

Can anyone help?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RKS bricked after update

Try this:

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP
Need to press the reset button for 30 seconds then release, then it send to PUT the command and upload the FW. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 15

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Try this:

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP
Need to press the reset button for 30 seconds then release, then it send to PUT the command and upload the FW. 

Message 2 of 15
vajim
Master

Is this another case of firmware update gone bad?

Message 3 of 15
alokeprasad
Mentor

<rant mode on>

It is unbelievable (and unacceptable) that Netgear has to publish such a "backdoor" way of fixing their failed firmware updates!  It is their fault for not developing a robust update process.

They should replace systems under warranty when this happens with released non-beta firmware updates

<rant mode off>

Message 4 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Fact mode ON

Well if your system IS under warranty, then you'll need to contact NG support and get help and information on this. Theres nothing we can do here in toe forums. The work around is for advanced users and for users that are not under warranty. Other factors can cause bad FW updates as well. Bad ISP configurations or bad user configurations as well. 

Fact mode OFF. 

Good Luck.

@alokeprasad wrote:

<rant mode on>

It is unbelievable (and unacceptable) that Netgear has to publish such a "backdoor" way of fixing their failed firmware updates!  It is their fault for not developing a robust update process.

They should replace systems under warranty when this happens with released non-beta firmware updates

<rant mode off>

Message 5 of 15
vajim
Master

@alokeprasad wrote:

<rant mode on>

<rant mode off>

They can do that because the real decision is left up to you.   No one twisted your arm.  I agree they should do a better job in their testing department but the reality is with all the different ways people run their systems that's nearly impossible.  Looking at other companies who make similar devices you'll find they all have problems when it comes to releasing firmware updates.  Your part is to decide for yourself if or when to update.  In a forum like this you'll find some who jump at every chance to upgrade while others let it go.  Last I heard was if the update included serious security issues they will push it without any action by the user.  Tip of the day, you can backup your network settings prior to any reset and update that way the process becomes a bit more pleasant and of course you should be able to revert back if necessary.   Read the posts in this forum and make your own decision.  Good luck and merry Christmas!

Message 6 of 15
alokeprasad
Mentor

I don't want to extend this thread anymore than this post:

The whole "rant" thing is to let off steam without necessarily affecting any change.  Any discussion here is amongst users and has negligible effect on Netgear policies.

As for responsible behavior by Netgear, the ante is upped depending on the device update strategy:

• If the device auto-updates or the update is pushed to the device, and bricks it in the process, then Netgear should fix what they broke.
  • If Netgear is sending email to users asking/advising/suggesting/recommending the user update the device, then Netgear has a larger responsibility to fix the broken update as well.

Short of a power-interruption during the flashing process, firmware updates should be designed to be bulletproof.  If the manufacturers were required to fix bricked devices, they would make it so.  However, they may put out fewer fixes, which would be counterproductive.

BTW, in 10+ years of using Nighthawk and recently, Orbi, I have never received such emails.  I'm assuming that these emails are to address serious security fixes.

Enough said.  Onward to other topics....

Message 7 of 15
alokeprasad
Mentor

@vajim wrote:

@alokeprasad wrote:

..Tip of the day, you can backup your network settings prior to any reset and update that way the process becomes a bit more pleasant and of course you should be able to revert back if necessary.   ..

A quick follow-up: All advice here is to revert back to factory settings and set up the units fresh again after firmware updates.  Do you agree with that advice?

I backup my configuration before updates (and sometimes when I'm just feeling happy with the world Smiley Happy).  But never had to use the restore function after updates.  Admittedly, my setup is very simple: defaults exceptturning off uPnP, remote management, and changing device and wifi passwords.  No port forwarding, no DMZ, no VPN, etc.  Generally, the update leaves the settings intact. I keep a separate list of MAC addresses that I use to name my devices in the network map, if needed.

That has been the case with numerous Nighthawks and Linksys's before that.

I found that the discontinued Netgear Genie is still available at the UK page.  It is usable and IMO, has better UI than the web UI of the device firmware pages.  It also lists Powerline devices and their link speeds!!

https://www.netgear.co.uk/home/discover/apps/genie.aspx

Message 8 of 15
vajim
Master

@alokeprasad wrote:

@vajim wrote:

@alokeprasad wrote:

..Tip of the day, you can backup your network settings prior to any reset and update that way the process becomes a bit more pleasant and of course you should be able to revert back if necessary.   ..

A quick follow-up: All advice here is to revert back to factory settings and set up the units fresh again after firmware updates.  Do you agree with that advice?

No....only because I have no settings.  Meaning when I installed my Orbi a few years ago, I just plugged it in, followed the instructions and let her rip.  Most if not all of the settings are at default.  IMHO the ones that probably need to be concerned with the frustration of saving settings are those who have a multitude of devices, switches, etc.  I'm still amazed at the number of folks who buy an Orbi (which by the way is suppose to provide way more wifi than the average user) and yet they insist on running it with another router.  You might think they are trying to provide wifi to the moon.  Each to his/her own. 

So in summary, in the few rare times I've had to perfom a factory reset (don't tell anyone) I do just that and let the Orbi figure it out.  I have 30 or so devices at any one time connected to my Orbi/Sats.  As long as they worked as they're suppose to or when I call on them, I'm happy.  Don't spend a lot of time worrying about speed, no buffering on netflix and I'm good.  Does my Nest thermostat update, nice.

Trying to live in peace.

Message 9 of 15
alokeprasad
Mentor

For people new to all this (this is familiar stuff to experts here):

Disabling uPnP and remote management are good ideas. And changing default passwords.

https://www.varonis.com/blog/what-is-upnp/

There have been some dramatic security gaps (you could drive a truck through) in the past: like leaving default passowrd enabled at the Telnet interface.  Some had used the code from examples used by the chipset programming manuals as is in the product Smiley Surprised

Hopefully, the router manufacturers have learned and are not making obvious mistakes.  Apparently, this is a misplaced hope:

https://www.fkie.fraunhofer.de/content/dam/fkie/de/documents/HomeRouter/HomeRouterSecurity_2020_Beri...

Message 10 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

So were you able to get your RBS working with the suggestion? Looks like it...

@Swat1871 wrote:

Hi folks

I have an syno 218j NAS

after using 2.6.1.40 I could`t reach the NAS

updating to 2.7.0.70 same problem

after downgrading the satellite didn´t start

he is bricked

I want to install firmware via tft64, but my LED is green, not orange

Can anyone help?

Message 11 of 15
Swat1871
Tutor

yes 

the orbis system works fine now

Message 12 of 15
vajim
Master

Please mark your thread as Solved so others will know. 

Message 13 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Swat1871 wrote:

yes 

the orbis system works fine now

Message 14 of 15
vajim
Master