Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Router, DHCP, AP Mode and DNSMASQ

nettynads
Aspirant

Orbi Router, DHCP, AP Mode and DNSMASQ

This was a fun few hours.

System:

Orbi RBR50 - in AP Mode ( static IP )

Orbi RBS50

DNSMASQ on a Linux Server providing DHCP

The Orbis backhaul is wireless.

Orbi has been in use for around 18 months, I don't recall, but without any of the problems reported on here. One of those silent working users. The config I used from day one has worked fine despite all those updates. I've always set static IP configurations for network devices and core servers, saving DHCP for everything else. Meaning if the DHCP serving host falls away the network remains in place.

After upgrading to the latest version of the firmware, the Orbis stopped connecting to each other.

The first knee-jerk reaction is to blame the firmware.

After trying:

1. rollback firmware to the previous version.

2. deleting the satellite, re-sync, re-sync, re-sync.

3. Unplugged everything from both Orbis, sat them next to each other, resetting them.

4. Re-configured the Orbis to my needed configuration, wireless sync was working.

5. Re-connect all the ethernet devices.

6. On connecting the DHCP Server, the wireless backhaul connection would drop.

7. Connected the Obris over a LONG ethernet cable, they connected happily!

8. On reviewing the AP configuration I wondered about my use of the static IP. I added a dhcp reservation for the Orbi Router, changed the Orbi Router's AP config to retrieve a DHCP address ( the same ip address I originally had set as static on the Orbi Router ), removed the wired connection between the Orbis rebooting them.

9. The wireless connection came back up.

10. Upgraded to the latest firmware.

11. All ok.

At some point a change around using DHCP vs STATIC IP on the Orbi Router when in AP mode has come into effect.

In my case, always use DHCP for the Orbis when a DHCP server is on the network if wanting to use the wireless backhaul.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Orbi Router, DHCP, AP Mode and DNSMASQ

You might want to provide your firmware version on the Orbi and what changed to your system to perhaps cause these problems?

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for the explanation.  I understand how to assign a static IP to the router.  How did you assign a static IP to the satellite?

Message 3 of 5
nettynads
Aspirant

I never did assign a static to the satellite, as you say it doesn't appear possible.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

My Static IP address are you setting a static IP address ON the device, RBR or setting a IP address reservation ON the host router? Static IP addresses are set ON devices, and IP reservations are set ON the host DHCP server. Also be sure static IP addresses set on devices are outside of the host IP address pool. They should not be with in the pool.

I had my RBK50 set for static IP address ON the RBR when in AP mode. You cant set a static IP address ON the RBS. You can reserve an IP address ON the host router for the RBS. Which I do. Helps to get same IP address all the time for it. 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

@nettynads wrote:

This was a fun few hours.

System:

Orbi RBR50 - in AP Mode ( static IP )

Orbi RBS50

DNSMASQ on a Linux Server providing DHCP

The Orbis backhaul is wireless.

Orbi has been in use for around 18 months, I don't recall, but without any of the problems reported on here. One of those silent working users. The config I used from day one has worked fine despite all those updates. I've always set static IP configurations for network devices and core servers, saving DHCP for everything else. Meaning if the DHCP serving host falls away the network remains in place.

After upgrading to the latest version of the firmware, the Orbis stopped connecting to each other.

The first knee-jerk reaction is to blame the firmware.

After trying:

1. rollback firmware to the previous version.

2. deleting the satellite, re-sync, re-sync, re-sync.

3. Unplugged everything from both Orbis, sat them next to each other, resetting them.

4. Re-configured the Orbis to my needed configuration, wireless sync was working.

5. Re-connect all the ethernet devices.

6. On connecting the DHCP Server, the wireless backhaul connection would drop.

7. Connected the Obris over a LONG ethernet cable, they connected happily!

8. On reviewing the AP configuration I wondered about my use of the static IP. I added a dhcp reservation for the Orbi Router, changed the Orbi Router's AP config to retrieve a DHCP address ( the same ip address I originally had set as static on the Orbi Router ), removed the wired connection between the Orbis rebooting them.

9. The wireless connection came back up.

10. Upgraded to the latest firmware.

11. All ok.

At some point a change around using DHCP vs STATIC IP on the Orbi Router when in AP mode has come into effect.

In my case, always use DHCP for the Orbis when a DHCP server is on the network if wanting to use the wireless backhaul.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7