Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Setup with Cable drop upstairs far end of home (2650) Sqft

Lumache
Tutor

Orbi Setup with Cable drop upstairs far end of home (2650) Sqft

Question. 

I currently have a home that is about 2650 Sqft. My cable service is in the FROG on the far side of the home upstairs. The next place I could plug in a sat would be downstiars under the stairs or in the living rooom.  There are two downstairs bedorooms at the opposite end of the house and they are the concern here.  I have tried another mesh routing system and was sorely disappointed. LUMA did not connect one point to the next and I think its like 15 linear or less, but it is through the floor and a wall.  so I wondered if this system might do better.  

My builder was in it for the money. Nothing in this house makes any sense other than if you look at it and think: 'ok, that meant the builder made more money' That being said what do you think? Should I try an Orbi?

I currently have the R6300 and would be open to removing it completely and buying two Orbi.  I just hate to buy something, install it and then be disappointed yet again. 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 4

Re: Orbi Setup with Cable drop upstairs far end of home (2650) Sqft

hi

to be honest with you 2650 Sqft isnt all that big and in theory any single wireless AC transmission should cover it so that suggests something in the building construction materials and or enviornment is blocking the transmission

what is the signal like from the R6300 if you test it downstairs in the location you mentioned

the reason i ask this is the orbi doesnt perform magic , it too need to get the signal to where the orbi sat would be located

if the signal is good under the stairs from the r6300 then you might stand a chance of it working

i assume you dont have any ethernet runs in the house ?

Message 2 of 4
Lumache
Tutor

So the Orbi isn't magic? That is certainly comforting to know as I had assumed it would make me coffee too. I have used several Mesh solutions recently and been fairly disappointed by their ability to communicate between nodes and I was asking if the Orbi might be better at communicating in this rather less-than-optimal situation. I thought I explained my situational limitations with power and placement options and that I had not had success with other mesh products pretty clearly and that I wondered if Orbi might do better?

Again, I am asking if anyone that has this system had a similar situation and found that the Orbi performed better in that circumstance. The signal is so-so under the stairs with R6300 and it covers the entire house, it just doesn't cover it well,given its location, which again, I thought I explained in the original post. Enter 5G and the coverage is reduced from there. That so-so signal seems to be causing the mesh routers some problem that prohibits reliable function.  I am considering trying the AmpliFi system as that has the direct to outlet sat's which really appeals to me. 

I have considered paying to have the drop channeled into the other upstairs office or the catwalk over the main Living area or just doing it myself, but obviously I keep hoping that someone will come up with a better router or solution that will save me having to get in the attic and run wires.

I don't know, the Orbi really sounded like it might be a good fit, but you have convinced me otherwise with revelation that it doesn't perform magic and all. Man Tongue

Spoiler
Having gone all these years thinking magic was real, this forum post really ruined my sunday morning.Man Sad

Thanks. AmpliFi sounds like the next choice. 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 3 of 4
loomis1975
Luminary

Why don't you have your FROG hop over to the middle of the house?  Problem solved. 🙂

I would give the Orbi a shot.  I have a house that kills wifi signals pretty efficiently, especially between floors and with a centrally located massive three chimney wide brick monstrosity that goes from the basement up though the roof.  The wireless backhaul signal between the Router and the Satellite has by far the best penetration of any wifi device I've had running in my house.  In my opinion, it is the standout feature of the Orbi and is great for those of us who can't reliably do powerline or easily run Cat6 for a wired AP in the "dead" area.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7