Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi VPN Tunnel to VPN Provider

rckingsley
Aspirant

Orbi VPN Tunnel to VPN Provider

I have an RBR50/RBS50, and would like to create a VPN tunnel to a 3rd-Party VPN company (like CyberGhost, NordVPN, etc.).  I want to use a 3rf-Party VPzn service for my mobile devices when I travel, but would like to use a VPN tunnel from my house tontbat provider to support ‘all’ my devices at home,

However, the Orbi documentation doesn’t show any way to do this (even though this is a common function in ‘business’ routers).  Am I missing something, or is the Orbi (regrettably) unable to do this?

Thanks.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi VPN Tunnel to VPN Provider

Orbi is a Home class router. So features on Business class routers may not be seen or supported. 

You might contact NG support and ask about this to see what they support. 

Message 2 of 5
thombe
Apprentice

I use an Asus DSL-AC68U Router and have the Orbi as the "wifi part" in AP Mode.

That way I keep all the features the Asus gives me (including VPN server and client) whilst using the orbi for the improved range. Also useful in this setup for when NG release new firmwares which may require full reset of the orbi, no real effort to get the settings back up and running again.

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

This is a great alternative solution as well. 

@thombe wrote:

I use an Asus DSL-AC68U Router and have the Orbi as the "wifi part" in AP Mode.

That way I keep all the features the Asus gives me (including VPN server and client) whilst using the orbi for the improved range. Also useful in this setup for when NG release new firmwares which may require full reset of the orbi, no real effort to get the settings back up and running again.

Message 4 of 5
rckingsley
Aspirant

Thanks for the responses.  I have also been looking at possibly using DD-WRT as a possible firmware alternative.  This is already certified for a number of Netgear routers, but not yet for any of the 'BRxxx' series.  I may (as others have suggested) actually get another router (or possibly use an old Linksys WRT1900AC router I have) to handle the actual 'Internet' routing (with external VPN support), and use the Netgear routers as more of a 'home' routing infrastructure.

It's sad that more-and-more consumers are using external VPNs to protect their privacy, but home routers have not kept pace.  Ah well...

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7