Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Whole home Mesh WiFi System 3-Pack or Orbi WiFi System (RBK44)

edski
Aspirant

Orbi Whole home Mesh WiFi System 3-Pack or Orbi WiFi System (RBK44)

I am evaluating either the Orbi Whole home Mesh WiFi system which has the One (1) Orbi Router (RBR50v2) Two (2) Orbi Satellites (RBS50v2)

Or the Orbi WiFi System (RBK44) which has One (1) Orbi Router (RBR40) and  Three (3) Orbi Satellites (RBS20)

Both have similar coverage square feet.  Difficult trying to figure out the real differences between the 2.

Any help?

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi Whole home Mesh WiFi System 3-Pack or Orbi WiFi System (RBK44)

There mostly the same accept for the wireless backhaul. The 50 series carries a 1733Mbps wireless backhaul speed, while all other Orbi systems carry a 866Mbps wireless backhaul. 

Message 2 of 6
edski
Aspirant

I will be using it for my home wifi.  Do you think the difference in speeds make a significant\very noticable difference? 

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Kind of depends on your home size will factor in if you need more than one RBS and what kind of networking operations do you mostly do? Streaming, Gaming, general internet surfing or major downloading? Things like that. 

You might start here and see what NG recommends based on home size:

https://www.netgear.com/orbi/wifi-systems.aspx

If you have a small or medium size home, you may not need two RBS. Having too much wifi or wifi signal overlap, near by can cause problems. 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

You won't see any differences performance wise as the main speed rates you ever see at it's max will be 866Mbps usable by supporting wifi devices. The 1733Mbps is the connection between the RBS and RBR only and isn't usable by user devices. 

Message 4 of 6
edski
Aspirant

House is 6200 square feet.  Older New England house with built ons.  (Not your modern open floor plan)   Primary use is general internet, streaming, 3 teenagers always on their devices. 

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

I would probably go with the RBK53 then...

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7