Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Wireless Access Point

uhhu
Aspirant

Orbi Wireless Access Point

Hello - i see other threads with similar questions, but as they are solved, i cannot ask for additional information.

I have an Orbi RBR50, RBS50, 2x RBW30 in my house, and have black spots in several areas. Every wall in the house is made of brick, and as its not open plan; there is a lot of wall getting in the way of the satellites. My understanding from the equipment is that I have 8,000 sq ft of Wifi coverage in my 5,000 sq ft home.

When I installed the Orbi, I set my existing Virgin Media Hub3 to modem modem mode and my Orbi router as the router. These are in the same room, connected by a LAN cable. I then have my satellites dotted around the place. The two wall satellies are showing as green for signal. If I move them, I create bigger black spots. For example, one is in a hall which serves the hall and half of two rooms. The RBS50 is orange. However, when it is in the green spot, I create more black spots in high use areas.

This isn't giving me the coverage I need, so I think I am going to need to wire the house (something I desperately want to avoid given the walls are brick), buy more RBS50 and wire them in. However, this means the RBW30 will no longer be supported and may not work, and I may not have solved my black spot issues.

I have looked at Wireless Access Points, with the thought that I could buy a couple, and attach to the ceilings upstairs and connect them back to the router. But having read on this forum, that will not give me a full mesh like I have now with Orbi?

On the forum, I see people mention that they turn their router into an AP. Will this give me any benefit for coverage?

Do I have other options?

If I am going to go to the bother of wiring the whole house, would I be best to buy several wireless access points and move away from using the Orbi?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
Mstrbig
Master

Re: Orbi Wireless Access Point

Your best option, if you do not want to wire is add more RBS50 satellites. Your RBW30 units are fine, but don't offer the coverage that RBS50 does. The 50 series Orbi is a powerful system with a strong and fast backhaul offering far superior coverage.
Just my opinion based on similar installs.
Message 2 of 6
uhhu
Aspirant

Looking online, it is difficult to find the satellites at a good price. Can I use the router as a satellite to another router? For example, I can buy a router and satellite for £300, whereas two satellites will cost me £400.

If i bought a 2nd router and satellite, can that router connect to my existing router as a satellite?

Message 3 of 6
Mstrbig
Master

@uhhu wrote:

Looking online, it is difficult to find the satellites at a good price. Can I use the router as a satellite to another router? For example, I can buy a router and satellite for £300, whereas two satellites will cost me £400.

If i bought a 2nd router and satellite, can that router connect to my existing router as a satellite?

No a router cannot be used as a satellite.

Some have spoken about a hack to turn it into a satellite, but if it bricks the device, it's not worth it.

Message 4 of 6
uhhu
Aspirant

What is the difference between a satellite and an AP?

I have read several threads about people turning their router into an AP. Would I be able to turn a router in to an AP and connect that to my existing Orbi router with a wire? If so, what does that actually mean in functional terms? Would the AP act differenly to the other satellites which are wired in to the router?

Message 5 of 6
Mstrbig
Master

@uhhu wrote:

What is the difference between a satellite and an AP?

I have read several threads about people turning their router into an AP. Would I be able to turn a router in to an AP and connect that to my existing Orbi router with a wire? If so, what does that actually mean in functional terms? Would the AP act differenly to the other satellites which are wired in to the router?

A satellite is just that, an addition Orbi device to add onto your RBR router product.

AP or Access Point is a mode on a router, used when a router already exists, and you add an Orbi router to you existing system. 

Yes you can set a router to AP mode, but you cannot connect it to your existing Orbi router because it is still a router and not a Satellite.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7