Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi advertising 'Alexa and the Google Assistant' - is this mandatory?

Folbo
Tutor

Orbi advertising 'Alexa and the Google Assistant' - is this mandatory?

Hi. I am somewwhat alarmed at the link between the Orbik system and 'Alexa' ... anything linked to Google. Simply put, I do not trust Google. I know that is a POV. I do not want to enter into a debate on privacy et al.

I simply want to know if the Orbi system can be used without the Google tie in, or is it 'baked' into the firmware?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi advertising 'Alexa and the Google Assistant' - is this mandatory?

Message 2 of 6
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello @Folbo

Are you referring to our latest Orbi product the Orbi voice?

~Christian 

Message 3 of 6
Folbo
Tutor

This screen shot is what I am concerned about ... and many places across the site ... 

The Product does include Voice. In trying to be compatible I presume that Netgear has developed code for the firmware. If Google are operating like they have in the past (e.g. analytics) they will write the code for you ... and for virtually no cost ... except that code is also using Google servers and harvesting data in the background without informing the end users. Android does the same. Amazon are not known for anything but getting a commercial edge in any way they can etc. etc. IAgain, POV, not for debate) ... I just want to know if there is any code written or supplied by Google or Amazon embedded into the NetGear routers?

Screenshot 2018-09-08 08.28.04.png

Message 4 of 6

@Folbo wrote:

This screen shot is what I am concerned about ...

You will have to wait before that screenshot is approved before anyone can see it. (Hint, it is usually quicker to "attach" a file rather than embed it.)  But as the whole idea of the Orbi Voice "satellite" is to bring Alexa to the product line, it is hard to see how it can work without contacting Amazon.

Or is it just Amazon code that you want to avoid? I think you'll find that Netgear wrote the code for the Orbi Voice. But it will inevitably have to talk to Amazon at some stage. Maybe it uses one of those dreaded APIs that Amazon can change with no warning.

If you look at Idea Exchange For Home - NETGEAR Communities you will see that people have put in bids for alternative "sound channels".

Apple Music and Youtube Music on Orbi Voice - NETGEAR Communities

Airplay and Airplay 2 support for Orbi Voice

As this is a new product, and Netgear is not tied to a particular service, maybe you should just wait for your preferred alternative to Alexa to come on line. And add your vote to those suggestions or any alternative that is not going to spy on you.

Message 5 of 6

@Folbo wrote:
I simply want to know if the Orbi system can be used without the Google tie in, or is it 'baked' into the firmware?

The data sheet for the RBK40V – the Orbi Router (RBR50) plus Orbi Voice (RBS40V) bundle –  says nothing about Google, just Amazon.

Likewise the standalone RBS40V.

Orbi Voice WiFi Satellite and Smart Speaker

Also a Google-free zone. It does specify that you need an Amazon account.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7