× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi and Alexa music playback

PFR
Aspirant
Aspirant

Orbi and Alexa music playback

Hi,

I have configured my VM Homehub to pass through to my orbi mesh.

Everything seems to work fine with a wide range of devices connected.

I have an issue with the Alexa devices since installing the Orbi's and it is one of those intermittent faults so easy to resolve......

When I ask Alexa to play something from amazon prime music, she will announc the song/playlist but then then silence. On some occasions it will work, but more often than not it won't.

My prime account is working fine as I can use the amazon music app on my phone and stream the music.

The alexa app also stuggles and i can't play the music via the alexa app on my iphone or by pushing to an alexa speaker..

Alexa will connect to other services like telling me the weather/controlling a hive smart light in the house, just has problems with the music - the number one intended use of the alexa speaker.

I have updated the firmware on the alexa devices and reconnected which usually helps for a short while but then i lose the music playing ability.

I see this has a number of threads on this subject but not foiund a resolution that seems to address this scenario ( ie i have my VM router on bypass, the amazon account is working, and the alexa devices are up to date/working in all other matters but not music playing).

There is nothing playing right now as i type this but Alexa tells me something is playing!

Where do I go with this!?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
6172crew
Guide

I made the same post a hour or so ago, and no real fix as far as I read.  I can turn on my ISP wifi, connect the echo and it works again but orbi wont alloow music to stream through.

Message 2 of 8
plemans
Guru

Virgin mobile hubs aren't exactly the best or have the best pass through mode. 

I've seen where people have left the virgin mobile device acting as router (with wifi disabled) and putting the orbi in access point mode. 

This lets the virgin act as router with the orbi acting as simple wifi/ethernet connection

Message 3 of 8
6172crew
Guide

It was suggested to remove network address translation from the orbi, and allow the ISP modem/ONT to deal with NAT so I turned mine into a AP.  It allowed the google one to work but no dice for the amazon device.

Message 4 of 8
6172crew
Guide

OK, I played around some more and found that moving all of my streaming devices to the regular account (Non-guest) fixed the streaming issue.  I would rather all my devices be on the guest network but for some reason netgear has limited the amount of bandwidth on that network.  I am showing non limitations set by myself, but it limits the divices for sure.  Now I am having other issues, like my thermostats are showing offline, but they are not.  So far I am not impressed with the system, and might return it for a ubiquity AP setup. I have ethernet in each room, but wanted to keep wired and wireless seperated so I chose the orbi. 

Message 5 of 8
PFR
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the update. I have my alexa devices connected to the non-guest network so that has not worked for me.

I will try tinkering with the options for the virgin router later to see if that can do the NAT work and leave the Orbi solely to push the wifi around.

Oh for some tech that just works - if only the concept of standards really worked exhaustively in practice. It is so frustrating this one issue, when i have to say in all other respects the Orbi's have served my household - especially under lockdown load testing very well!

Message 6 of 8
PFR
Aspirant
Aspirant

The odd thing is of the three Alexa's in the house, one has now completely disconnected, one will only play radio stations and not music from amazon prime and one is working completely fine!

Seems to point to the issue being at the alexa end

Going to try connecting them to a hotspot from my mobile and see what happens next

Message 7 of 8
6172crew
Guide

I had some issues with my best thermostats and found out they need to be hooked up to the 2.4g radio. I logged in, turned off 5g, restarted the thermostats and they connected to the 2.4 and then I turned the 5G back on. So far, no issues although they are showing that they reconnected back to the 5G radio. Might be worth a shot. Turn off the 5, restart the devices so they attach to the 2.4 and then turn back on the 5. I haven’t had issues with my echo dots since putting them on my non guest account, but the issue with the thermostats made me think this might help others. I also ended up allowing the Orbi do the routing and I’m using the RIP protocol, although I’m not sure it has much effect with my issues. As it stands I have 23-25 wireless devices atm.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series