Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi and EX8000

Jazzper2
Guide

Orbi and EX8000

I recently replaced my R6400 and EX8000 extender with an Orbi RBK40 and one satellite.  However, I need an ethernet port in the room where the etender was previously located so I tried to get the EX8000 to connect to the Orbi.  I go thru its configuration and it sees the SSID and accepts the passkey but then it say it's not connected.  I even tried setting it up right next to the Orbi and got the same results.  I don't understand why the EX8000 cannot connect to the Orbi via WiFi -- are they not compatible?  Running an ethernet cable out to the other room is not an option.  If for some reason the EX8000 and Orbi are not compatible (why?), are there other options or should I just return the Orbi?

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender, RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 31
CrimpOn
Guru

Message 2 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

There have been incompatibilities with EX and Orbi in the past. 

Has the FW on the EX8000 been updated? 

@Jazzper2 wrote:

I recently replaced my R6400 and EX8000 extender with an Orbi RBK40 and one satellite.  However, I need an ethernet port in the room where the etender was previously located so I tried to get the EX8000 to connect to the Orbi.  I go thru its configuration and it sees the SSID and accepts the passkey but then it say it's not connected.  I even tried setting it up right next to the Orbi and got the same results.  I don't understand why the EX8000 cannot connect to the Orbi via WiFi -- are they not compatible?  Running an ethernet cable out to the other room is not an option.  If for some reason the EX8000 and Orbi are not compatible (why?), are there other options or should I just return the Orbi?

Message 3 of 31
Jazzper2
Guide

Good idea....I'm a "put the info in manually" kind of guy but it's worth a shot-:)

Message 4 of 31
Jazzper2
Guide

Just tried your WPS idea -- no luck, even from about 12" away from Orbi.  I then thought maybe it does not like using the same SSID so I tried it with "EXT" on the end of the names but same result.  I go to the EX8000 admin screen via an ethernet connection, it lools like it sees the Orbi WiFi SSID, I put in the passkey and it looks like it takes it, but after I hit "Continue" it says it cannot connect.

When I use a different SSID for the extender, I can connect to it via Wifi but can't go any further.  A traceroute dies there and when I connect to the Orbi, it does not see the EX8000 in its list of connected devices.

I'm out of ideas!

Message 5 of 31
CrimpOn
Guru

Hmmm.  The installation document never mentions any specific brand of WiFi system.  My understanding is that the WPS method and "entering stuff" are mutually exclusive.  At least it has been on other Netgear WiFi extenders I have installed.  I would Factory reset the EX8000.  Perform the WPS setup.  Then get out a WiFi Analyzer program and see what WiFi networks have strong signals.  I believe on one of my "dual band" extenders I had to follow the advice to do the WPS a second time. AFTER it is connected and working is the time to connect to the EX8000 management web site and mess around with SSID's.

Message 6 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

Most EX extenders are not fully compatible with Orbi systems. I recommend that you ether return the Orbi and find a R series router that the EX will connect to. The R8000 would be the best match for the EX8000. Or keep the Orbi and return the EX and find a RBS to connect to the Orbi system if you need more wifi coverage. 

Message 7 of 31
CrimpOn
Guru

Well, I am just very confused.  Some time back there was an extensive discussion about the Netgear EX3700.  I bought one from Amazon and confirmed that, "yes", it did in fact connect to my Orbi RBR50/RBS50 system.

The Product Data Sheet for the EX8000 says the requirement is " 2.4 and/or 5GHz 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac WiFi router or gateway".  Does not mention Nighthawk, or even Netgear.  Seems to be brand agnostic.   I'm not willing to spend over $200 to satisfy my curiosity (the EX3700 was MUCH less expensive).

I want to be very clear that in no way would I expect a "WiFi Extender" to integrate into an Orbi WiFi network.  But, "extend"?  I do not see why not.

Message 8 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

It was mentioned that some EX needed some FW from NG support to make the EX work. I asked about this since I have two EX7700s which would not connect to Orbi. They gave me a beta FE to try and this helped the EX7700s connect. There in a Orbi mode. Stock EXs don't seem to have this compatbility unless FW is changed. I haven't checked to see if this beta FW works with non Orbi Wifi. Not sure if this was included in recent stock FW or not. Possible NG may have made some changes in Orbi FW as well, but not included the EX8000 either. I presume one can ask NG support about the EX8000 and see if something can be done. I also remember posts asking about the EX3700 which did NOT work on stock FW. Someone said they contacted NG support and got FW to make that model work with Orbi. That was a while ago. 

Message 9 of 31
Mikey94025
Hero

@Jazzper2 wrote:

I think your EX8000 should work with your new Orbi, or any other wifi router, so it is confusing that you're unable to connect it.  Unfortunately the troubleshooting recommendations haven't worked for you so far.

As a workaround, since you just need an ethernet port access, how about using your old R6400 just as a wireless bridge to your Orbi network?  It can provide ethernet port access as you were trying to setup your EX8000.  Example bridge setup instructions are here (this is for a different Netgear model but the instructions should be similar): https://kb.netgear.com/24105/What-is-bridge-mode-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Nighthawk-router

Message 10 of 31
Jazzper
Aspirant

I' still waiting to hear back from ticket I opened up via email with NG support.  Will let you know if they mention a Beta FW update -- thx.

Message 11 of 31
Jazzper
Aspirant

Thx.  Thought this was worth a shot so I factory reset the EX8000 and went thru the setup as if it were new.  Same result -- it sees the Orbi WiFi SSID and seems to take the passkey but then when you hot NEXT to complete the setup, it fails to connect to the Orbi.

Message 12 of 31
Jazzper
Aspirant

Thx.  This does look like the best alternative - pending an answer from NG tech support.  I was hoping to be able to give my router to a friend but I'm going to give this a shot.

Hopefully there's nothing in these Orbi's that would prohibit bridging to them-:)

Again, thanks all for your suggestions.

Message 13 of 31
CrimpOn
Guru

I'm still very confused.  Using the WPS buttons to connect a device to WiFi involves NO "entering passkeys".  That's the whole point of having a button. (which some people describe as a horrible security breach, but that's a different topic.)

There is no setup.  Power it up.  Press the WPS button.  Press the other WPS button.   Lights come on.  New WiFi SSID's appear with the same password as the primary WiFi router.  Once it is working, then the user can access the management interface and change settings.

Message 14 of 31
Jazzper2
Guide

Sorry. Should have been more specific added that WPS did not connect the EX8000 to the Orbi. So I connected an Ethernet cable to it and went thru its setup that way. It gave me the New Setup screens and after entering the appropriate info, it still would not connect.
Message 15 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes. 

@Jazzper wrote:

I' still waiting to hear back from ticket I opened up via email with NG support.  Will let you know if they mention a Beta FW update -- thx.

Message 16 of 31
Jazzper2
Guide

Just an update since I did hear back from Netgear support yesterday.  They said:

"The RBR40 and EX8000 is compatible however you need to disable the one WIFI name feature of the extender in order to work."

So I factory reset the EX8000 and went thru its setup again, this time using EXTENDER-2 and EXTENDER-5 as the extended network names.  Same result -- after hitting continue as the last step of the setup, it did not connect to the Orbi.  Passed that info alsong with the  screenshots in the attached doc back to them last night.  Back to waiting...

PS.

One interesting aside...their support email also said:

It seems that the purchase date specified for this registration is beyond a reasonable "presumed shelf life" (the difference between manufacture date and purchase date). Since you are a valued customer of NETGEAR, we will be providing one-time courtesy support.

Purchase date: June 13, 2020
Manufacturing date: March 01, 2017

I purchased this last Saturday from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XJMFDRP

So I just added that little caveat to the reviews there.

Message 17 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

Interesting shelf life statement vs purchase date. 

Thanks for letting us know. Hopefully NG can get the EX working for you. 

Message 18 of 31
Jazzper2
Guide

Just an update -- not a solution....

I got another reply from Netgear support.  This one asking me to make sure I had the latest firmware on the EX8000 (I did) and to re-install it if it was already there.  I downloaded a fresh EX8000-V1.0.1.202.img file and re-installed it, completely reset extender to factory settings and walked thru its setup again using a separate extender network name, but again could not connect.

As another aside, I did set the old R6400 in bridge mode and connected to the Orbi in just a couple of minutes without a problem.  You'd think that if the R6400 could connect via WiFi, the EX8000 should be able to do so also.  But....

Oh well -- I sent the above info to Netgear support a few minutes ago.  The dance continues...

Message 19 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

Seems like they will need to make the FW for the EX8000 compatible for the Orbi. Something they did for the EX3700 and 7700. 

Good Luck. 

Message 20 of 31
Jazzper2
Guide

Just another update - again.  NG support asked me to downgrade to a previous firmware level on the EX8000 and try again,   Then if that did not work (which it didn't) to then try setting the EX8000 up as an Access Point with it wired into the Orbi via ethernet. 

I reset it up as an Access Point and it did successfully work that way.  I just sent them that info and hope that helps them to figure out how to make it work via WiFi.

Stay tuned....

Message 21 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 22 of 31
Jazzper2
Guide

To: @CrimpOn , @FURRYe38 @Mikey94025

Well, it's been a while - and this may be the last follow-up -- so I thought I'd give everyone an update has to where things are.  I went back and forth with a next-level technician numerous times, trying different firmware levels and configurations.  She then escalated the case to a senior technician who contacted me via phone on July 4th.  We had a nice long call and went over what I had previously tried and what my requirements were -- Orbi by the cable modem connection in my office and Extender in the living room.  He asked me to basically try some of the previous options again and note the lights on the EX8000 as it restarted.  He was to call me back at 3:00 that afternoon but never did.  I texted my results to him but still crickets so I texted a follow-up a couple of days later then posted those text messages in my open ticket earlier today:

Hi Vince -- I'm posting this in the open ticket since I did not get a reply from my texts. I texted you this message on 7/4 after our call:

I just tried 4 different options with setting up the EX8000: -5GHz with One WiFi Name Enabled -5GHz with it unchecked -2.4GHz with it enabled -2.4GHz with it unchecked In all 4 cases it "sees" the Orbi WiFi network and accepts the pass key. But then on the final screen after I check the box for "Click the Continue button after you connect your WiFi devices", it gives me the same message: "The Extender was not able to connect to your existing network" In all 4 cases the lights on the extender for both 2.4 and 5MHz are a solid white. Hope that helps -Thanks!

Then again on 7/7/20, 11:37 AM I texted: Did not get that call you said would be coming after 3pm on Saturday! Did you come up with any other ideas? I have an appt. at 12 and should be home by 3pm today. Please let me know if you received this. Thanks!

He did get back to me relatively quickly after reaching him via the online case and replied:

This is Vince from Netgear and Yes I receive your email this time. Thank you for providing update of what you've tried to do.  As what I understand on what you tried.  First You tried connecting the extender only into the 5Ghz and one WiFi Name is enabled.  Then you also tried to connect only into the 5Ghz with the One WiFi name disabled this time.  And you also tried the 2.4Ghz only with same methods . And all ended with same exact result with unable to connect into the router.
This only means that a regular mesh extender does not compatible with a WiFi Mesh System.  What I can only suggest on this is to set the extender as an Access Point in order to work.

He knew from our phone call that the whole point of setting it up as an Extender rather than an Access Point was because the Orbi is in my office next to the cable modem and the Extender's ethernet ports are needed in my living room.  So I replied a few minutes ago with:

Hi Vince. In order to set it up as an access point though, it has to be physically connected by ethernet to the Orbi, correct? If so, I guess I'll just throw it in the trash.

I just got his reply as I was posting this long-winded (sorry!) message:

Good day!
I do understand your point and on what you are trying to get. However, in your case in order for the extender to work the only option is to set it as an Access Point where it need to be connected using Ethernet cable to the ORBI router so it will have its own Network connection point where your devices can connect and will not mess around with the main ORBI router's WiFi Mesh Network.
But let me ask for further details about this EX8000 to RBR40 to see if there are better work around that we can do aside from setting up as access point modem which is not convenient in your end .
I'll get back to you as soon as I have better information that I can share to you.

So, as Walter Cronkite used to sign off with..."That's the way it is"

Message 23 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like the EX may not work wirelessly connected to the RBR like a RBS. 

Thanks for letting us know. 

Message 24 of 31
Turbojr74
Tutor

@Jazzper2 Thought I would check in with you on what you did (if anything further) on this.  I would hate to think that while NG would make the lower end extenders compatible with a FW and the big daddy of them would not be also in with this.  The newest FW for the EX8000 is 1.0.1.224 and curious if this might be...or it was just security updates.

Costco had the Orbi RBK753S for sale $420 and thought if the EX8000 would incorporate with this system I would be inclinded.

When you had the EX8000 as an AP working, did it still utilize the same overall SSID e.g. One Wifi Name (it is no good if the extender has to be on a seperate network like most extenders as the units linked to the particular AP have to switch...and most don't unless it drops from its current.  Why I never liked extenders...plus backhaul always sucked) .

Thank you for all the info you provided in the tread.  You were the only one I found had good info on the subject of the EX8000 being incorporated.

Message 25 of 31
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 30 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7