× Our systems will undergo a planned maintenance on Sunday, May 19, 2024, between 12:00 AM and 02:00 AM Pacific Time. During the maintenance window, you will not be able to log in to your MyNETGEAR account (including apps), renew a subscription, or register a product. However, you will still be able to use guest checkout to purchase a new product or subscription service. Updates will be posted to Status.NETGEAR.com. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi as access point?

Crasje
Tutor

Orbi as access point?

Hello,

i just moved house and now my Orbi router is in the basement next to the router of the i-net provider.

I have network cable from the cellar to the ground floor.

instead of extending my wifi via my orbi router i am wondering if it is not better to have my internet provider’s router be the router, connect the Orbi as an accesspoint on the ground floor and extend the internet via satelites upward to the 2nd floor.

suggestions anyone?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

You can connect the orbi in access point mode. 

Keep in mind though that your ISP router won't "mesh" with the orbi. 

You can use it in conjunction with it though. I'd set it with its own ssid and make sure its on a different wifi channel than the orbi to prevent interference. 

Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop
https://kb.netgear.com/000061277/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-Orbi-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-...

@Crasje wrote:

Hello,

i just moved house and now my Orbi router is in the basement next to the router of the i-net provider.

I have network cable from the cellar to the ground floor.

instead of extending my wifi via my orbi router i am wondering if it is not better to have my internet provider’s router be the router, connect the Orbi as an accesspoint on the ground floor and extend the internet via satelites upward to the 2nd floor.

suggestions anyone?

Message 3 of 8
Crasje
Tutor

Hi,

Will the satelittes still connect to router in AP mode? Or do they need to be cabled too?

Thanks!

Message 4 of 8
plemans
Guru

The satellites will still connect to the orbi router in access point mode. 

Message 5 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@Crasje wrote:

instead of extending my wifi via my orbi router i am wondering if it is not better to have my internet provider’s router be the router, connect the Orbi as an access point on the ground floor and extend the internet via satelites upward to the 2nd floor.

There are SO MANY possibilities.  A lot depends on

• How did the ISP router come to be installed in the basement?
  • Is there a need for network access in the basement?
    If so, what sort? (WiFi or Ethernet?)
  • Can the ISP router be put into "bridge" or "passthrough" mode?
Message 6 of 8
Crasje
Tutor

Hi,

its internet via tv access point, for my new house it’s in the basement.

now i hace the isp router in bridge modus and my orbi router connected to it. I do not need i-net in the basement and my guess is that the celler ceiling is a big blocker.

I have 2 net work cables going from the cellar to the second floor wife office/my office, and 1 to the ground floor living room.

my idea is now:

- but isp modem back to normal

- connect all 3 cables to it

- disconnect wifi on isp router

- put orbi router in living room as AP

- connect a satelite on each floor wirelessly to orbi AP

- connect office pc’s via cable

1 question, if i use the orbi as ap, will it show the isp wifi network name or the on configured in the orbi?

Message 7 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@Crasje wrote:

1 question, if i use the orbi as ap, will it show the isp wifi network name or the on configured in the orbi?

The only WiFi signal will be the Orbi.  (WiFi on the ISP router is turned off.)

There will be one network for the entire house, with the ISP router assigning all the IP addresses. Devices connected to the ISP router and Orbi units will all be on the same network.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7