Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi connection inconsistent speed

CB01
Tutor

Orbi connection inconsistent speed

I have 3 Orbi RBR50 setup in my house.  I am seeing issues with anyone connected to the satellite units seeing inconsistent speeds.  So I plugged a laptop into the main unit and one into the first satellite.  I ran a simple ping -t test.  The times are usually good, but every few packets there is a spike.  This is with both laptops plugged in to Ethernet ports.  I am running Firmware v2.3.5.30. 

I have a default setup and wondering if there are some parameters I should change?  Or is there a way to detect signal strength between the boxes or anything else that might indicate why they seem to have issues with consistency. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi connection inconsistent speed

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 2 of 18
CB01
Tutor

Home is around 3800 sq ft on two floors.  I have the main unit RBR50 and RBS50 that I was testing both on the main floor.  I would say they are 50ft plus between them.  Is 30ft the min or max suggested distance between?  The 3rd unit is an RBS50 is upstairs and is located between the other two.  The network map on the app shows both RBS connecting to the RBR50.  I will try putting them all on the same floor and see if that helps. 

2.4GHz is set to Auto

5GHz is set to 48

2 Neighbors have WiFi, but my signal strength is much higher. 

Beamforming and MIMO are both enabled already. 

I will check other settings are as mentioned after I try moving the units around. 

There are new units.  Initial configuration pulled down this firmware version.  No reset was done afterwards.  Should it be? 

Message 3 of 18
CB01
Tutor

Didn't mention it, but I am using Spectrum as service provider.  But I am seeing issues with pinging two units that are hardwired into Orbi boxes. 

Spectrum Cable Modem is Hitron  E31N2v1.  It does not have WiFi enabled. 

Message 4 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Is Daisy Chain enabled? I would disable Daisy Chain and test. 

The 3rd RBS can be in the middle, however this closes the minimum recommended distance between the RBR and RBS at 30 feet to start with. You might turn OFF 1 off the RBS and test speeds. 

Make sure the channels the Orbi is using on both freqencies are different and far appart from the neighbors wifi channels there using. Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz

Also what wifi devices are you using to test with? 

Message 5 of 18
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@CB01 wrote:

I am running Firmware v2.3.5.30. 

What were your 'speeds' BEFORE v2.3.5.30. ??

Message 6 of 18
CB01
Tutor

I had never used it with any older firmware.  This is a new setup. 

Message 7 of 18
CB01
Tutor

I tried enabling the first list and disabling the second set.  No real performance change. The wired connection on the satellite is still terrible.  The app says the backhaul connection is good between the router and the satellite, but the ping time is still all over the place.  It will be good for a few pings and then jump to 500ms.  It just doesn't work.  I can attempt a factory reset and rebuild, but any other suggestions prior to returning the units and trying another product? 

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 8 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Are these pings with the RBR or at the RBS? 

Please try a factory reset and test again with out the RBS connected...

Message 9 of 18
CB01
Tutor

I have a PC in the RBR and a laptop in the RBS.  I am pinging from one to the other.  So both are on wired connections.  

Message 10 of 18
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@CB01 wrote:

I can attempt a factory reset and rebuild, but any other suggestions prior to returning the units and trying another product? 

...just a thought(s)...this sounds like a classic example of wrong place, wrong time.  Since you're dealing with a new install you got what the system gave you (....50?) which we all know has some problems.  

I would imagine if you do a factory reset, you'll be back right where you started.  

If you could somehow figure out how to back-step your FW to the previous (44??).  It's been done by folks on here (manually??).  I believe if you're sucessful you should see a performance improvement.  The newer FW shouldn't be pushed.  Possibly do a search on FW backsteps.  

The Orbi is fine, it's the FW that can mess you up.  Good luck.

Message 11 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Please try a factory reset, setup from scratch then ping test with a PC to the RBR only first. 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

@CB01 wrote:

I have a PC in the RBR and a laptop in the RBS.  I am pinging from one to the other.  So both are on wired connections.  

Message 12 of 18
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Please try a factory reset, setup from scratch then ping test with a PC to the RBR only first. 

@CB01 wrote:

: (

Message 13 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

I would ping test with the PCs connected to the back of the RBR first. then both connected to the RBS 2ndly. Ping testing over wireless maybe problematic and inaccruate as there are many factors in wifi that can lead to false positives. Pings won't be the same or anywhere near what wired pings are. 

@CB01 wrote:

Message 14 of 18
CB01
Tutor

Quick Update

I downgraded the firmware in the RBS and RBR to 2.3.1.44

Runing the same ping test with a PC in the Ethernet port on the RBR and a laptop on the Ethernet on the RBS the ping times are way more consistent.  There is some variance from 5 to 22ms.  But that is way better than the 5 to 800ms I was seeing with the firmware 2.3.1.48.  The speedtest numbers are about 1/3 when run from Ethernet on the satellite vs the router. I will see if the stability is enough to work for a day or two and then I will see what I can do to increase the throughput.  Thanks for all the suggestions so far.  

Message 15 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. You might open a support ticket with NG and let them know what your seeing between the FW versions. 

@Blanca_O 

@CB01 wrote:

Quick Update

Runing the same ping test with a PC in the Ethernet port on the RBR and a laptop on the Ethernet on the RBS the ping times are way more consistent.  There is some variance from 5 to 22ms.  But that is way better than the 5 to 800ms I was seeing with the firmware 2.3.1.48.  The speedtest numbers are about 1/3 when run from Ethernet on the satellite vs the router. I will see if the stability is enough to work for a day or two and then I will see what I can do to increase the throughput.  Thanks for all the suggestions so far.  

Message 16 of 18
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@CB01 wrote:

Quick Update

...now I wonder where this idea came from...?

Now do yourself a favor and leave the FW alone.  I'm glad it worked out for you.  Thanks!

Message 17 of 18
CB01
Tutor

So it didn't really work out for me. While I could make them somewhat stable there were never anywhere near as fast as they should be.  And the stability didn't last.  It was much better than when I started, but never enough to keep them.  I opened a support ticket asking for more help.  They made a few suggestions that mostly mirrored the advice given here. So big thumbs up to everyone here who knows the product.  Sorry to say my last conversation with support is basically me asking to return the units.  I am going to have find a better solution for my home. 

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7