Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi coverage recomendation

Jshearerii
Aspirant

Orbi coverage recomendation

I am thinking about purchasing an Orbi system for my home.  I have a 10,000 sq foot ranch home so it is very spread out.  My modem and wi-fi is at one end of the home so coverage at the other end is nonexistant.  I would also like to have coverage outside and in the garage.  Which system would you recommend and how many units?  I was thinking about 3 of the AC3000.

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
Jshearerii
Aspirant

Re: Orbi coverage recomendation

After further research I am now thinking about getting the Orbi AC2200.  Reviews seem to have it higher range and coverage than the AC3000.

Message 2 of 4
st_shaw
Master

That's a large area to cover. Having the modem at one end of the house will make it harder to cover the area.  Orbi is a star topology, with all satellites needing to connect back to the single Orbi "router". I don't think you would get good coverage with the Orbi router at one end of the house.

To cover your house fully, it would be best to run several Ethernet wires from the modem to the middle and far ends of your house, then install several wired WiFi access points. Something like the Ubiquiti Unifi APs would work.

Or you could try a true mesh solution, like Eero.

You could try running a single Ethernet wire to the center of the house, and putting the Orbi router there, with satellites on either side. Coverage would depend upon the house layout and how far away you could place the satellites and still get a good connection to the Orbi router.

Message 3 of 4

@Jshearerii wrote:

After further research I am now thinking about getting the Orbi AC2200.  Reviews seem to have it higher range and coverage than the AC3000.

i think you have misread something there , the rbk50 covers quite a deal more than the newer orbi's

-----------------------

again 10,000sqft is a massive area to cover and if the internet  connection is limited to one end of this bohemioth house you reall have limited options

im sure it would be cheaper to have someone come in and move the internet cables to a more central location ( this is also needed for the orbi system as its works in star topology )

reality if it where me i would have ethernet run through the house and just run wireless access points as needed to obtain the coverage you are after

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7