Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi + existing wired network

PMD99365
Aspirant

Orbi + existing wired network

Hi. I have a question regarding the Orbi RBK50 and existing wired devices, hope someone can help. I can't find information regarding this.

My existing fibre router is hardwired to a number of Ethernet ports in my cupboard, which route to physical ports throughout the house. I have existing wired devices connecting to these ports (ethernet switches, single devices etc). My question is this – will the Orbi network “see” my existing wired devices, patched into my original router? Or do all wired devices have to be patched into an Orbi device?

Thanks

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 14
PMD99365
Aspirant

Can I just configure a couple of Orbi devices in AP mode and chain them from my existing router, then connect the existing devices (NAS, PC, switches etc) to the Orbi devices using ethernet? Would that work?

Message 2 of 14
st_shaw
Master

Yes. If you run Orbi in AP mode you can plug the RBR50 into your wired LAN anywhere behind your router.

However, you shouldn't move a device from your existing wired infrastructure to an Orbi LAN port unless absolutely necessary. Doing so will reduce the throughput for those devices, as the data will flow across the Orbi backhaul, rather than your wired network.

Message 3 of 14
wase4711
Luminary

If you take your existing wired router out of the picture completely, and use the Orbi system as a total wired/wireless solution, then you should continue to get the same fast wired through put that you were getting before, plus the enhanced benefits of the Orbi wireless network as well, correct?  I've only been using the Orbi as an AP/Upgraded wireless network up to this point, for fear that it might not work as well for my wired network as my existing wired router works.. 

Message 4 of 14
passy
Aspirant

I have a similar setup where my isp router feeds a master switch from which ethernet cables go to several sockets around the house.

If I plug an orbi router (in access point / ap mode) in one of the ethernet socket (to get internet from the ISP router), can I plug the satellite in another socket (also linked to the ISP router via the master switch)? And if yes should I use the WAN or the LAN port on the orbi router?

There would be only one cable to / from the router and therefore it would be different from the recommmend configuration whether the orbi router (in AP mode) gets internet on its WAN port and gets connected to the satellite via a different ethernet cable / network plugged into its LAN port.

Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Can use either WAN or LAN when in AP mode. 

What is the mfr and model# of the switch your using? Managed or NON Managed switch? 

What is the Mfr and model # of the main host router? 

@passy wrote:

I have a similar setup where my isp router feeds a master switch from which ethernet cables go to several sockets around the house.

If I plug an orbi router (in access point / ap mode) in one of the ethernet socket (to get internet from the ISP router), can I plug the satellite in another socket (also linked to the ISP router via the master switch)? And if yes should I use the WAN or the LAN port on the orbi router?

There would be only one cable to / from the router and therefore it would be different from the recommmend configuration whether the orbi router (in AP mode) gets internet on its WAN port and gets connected to the satellite via a different ethernet cable / network plugged into its LAN port.

Message 6 of 14
passy
Aspirant

Router is a bt smart hub (vdsl2) and switch is a simple unmanaged one (don't know what brand / model number)

Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the BT modem running in router mode or is it bridged?

@passy wrote:

Router is a bt smart hub (vdsl2) and switch is a simple unmanaged one (don't know what brand / model number)

Message 8 of 14
passy
Aspirant

The BT modem will run in router mode with the Orbi router in access point. 

Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, that will and should work for you then.

Message 10 of 14
passy
Aspirant

Great, thank you.

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it turns out for you.

@passy wrote:

Great, thank you.

Message 12 of 14
passy
Aspirant

Bonus question: in this configuration where all nodes are wired via ethernet and the wireless backhaul is not used, is there going to be a difference in performance between RBK50 and RBK40? 

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Difference between 40 and 50 is the wireless connection rates on the 40 are 866Mb and the 50 is 1300Mb? I'd have to check the specs again.

Yes when wired is connected wireless back haul isn't used, thus turns the satellites into wired APs I believe...

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7