× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi extremely unstable

Brorob
Aspirant

Orbi extremely unstable

Have had an Orbi RBR 50 since 2017 with a base router on the first floor and satellite on the second floor and for the most part it has worked well.  Occasionally have to reboot and synch the upstairs satellite.   A couple of days ago, home WIFI became very unstable with service fluctuating almost by the minute- with it working for a minute and then not working.  I've rebooted and reset several times with no change.   I downloaded the Netgear WIFI analytics app and can see the signal strength fluctuate from a -30db to a -100db.  the change is so fast that I am not able to log into the router to upload software.  Any thoughts or suggestions?  thanks

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
alokeprasad
Mentor

Re: Orbi extremely unstable

Provide some more details like the firmware version on your Orbi router and satellite(s).How is the strength of the connection between the router and the satellie (you can get this from the router's web interface at http://192.168.1.1 )?  Distance between them?

Do you get the WiFi droputs when connected to the router (base unit)'s WiFi?

Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

You can find other speed diagnosis steps in the community faq: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 3 of 8
vajim
Master

Smiley Sad

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@Brorob wrote:

Have had an Orbi RBR 50 since 2017 with a base router on the first floor and satellite on the second floor and for the most part it has worked well.  Occasionally have to reboot and synch the upstairs satellite.   A couple of days ago, home WIFI became very unstable with service fluctuating almost by the minute- with it working for a minute and then not working.  I've rebooted and reset several times with no change.   I downloaded the Netgear WIFI analytics app and can see the signal strength fluctuate from a -30db to a -100db.  the change is so fast that I am not able to log into the router to upload software.  Any thoughts or suggestions?  thanks

Message 5 of 8
Brorob
Aspirant

I am not able to login into the router so can't tell what version of firmware is running or make any changes suggested.  I've tried different browsers, different computers, using the orbi app on my phone with no luck.   The light of the router is on, but tracking the wifi through a speed test app on my phone, wifi will be on and connected for 30 seconds to a little more than a minute and then will disconnect for a few seconds to 30 seconds, before the device connects again.  LIght on top of the router stays on the whole time and doesn't change.  System is on channel 8 and 48, but can't access the router to change channels.  The Net gear wifi analyzer shows only our router on channel 8 and then overlaps on channel 48.    Same result if satellite is on or off.  satellite is on seond floor, close to 30 feet away.  worked fine for 3 years so am not sure what changed.  

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 6 of 8
vajim
Master

If you can not login to the router using a browser, I would factory reset the entire system.  This sounds like it qualifies.

Message 7 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@Brorob wrote:

I've tried different browsers, different computers, using the orbi app on my phone with no luck.   The light of the router is on, but

Just guessing... none of these computers have an ethernet jack?  When I discovered that most new laptops come without ethernet jacks, I bought a USB-ethernet converter off Amazon for about $15.  As you have discovered, it is impossible to do much when it is impossible to connect to the router.

Which light is on? (the Power LED on the back - green?  Or, the "ring light" at the top?)  The ring light is supposed to be off when the router is operating properly. https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-mean 

@Brorob wrote:

tracking the wifi through a speed test app on my phone, wifi will be on and connected for 30 seconds to a little more than a minute and then will disconnect for a few seconds to 30 seconds, before the device connects again.

Apple or Android phone?  There are a host of apps available for Android and Windows that will display the signal strength of WiFi radios (pretty graphs that "grow" and "shrink".  Would be useful to know if the device is "losing connection, but the signal is still there" versus the actual ratio signal disappearing and reappearing.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7