Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi is connected to internet but devices won’t

Jmilla74
Follower

Orbi is connected to internet but devices won’t

I bought an orbi In November 2018. It seems like every 3 weeks like my orbi doesn’t allow me to use certain apps on my phone or allow my PS4 to connect to the internet. These devices work when I connect to my isp modem WiFi. Does anyone know a solution to this problem? I also tried a new setup. It used to work but now it doesn’t.
Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 4
Chuck_M
Mentor

Re: Orbi is connected to internet but devices won’t

There are many models of Orbi's -- each with their own version of firmware etc.

Could you describe what model of Orbi you have, how many satellites, and what is the make/model of the device (modem) you are trying to connect your Orbi to?  Is it a modem/router combination?   If so, what mode is your orbi operating in? (ap or router)

Message 2 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

@Jmilla74 wrote:
I bought an orbi In November 2018. It seems like every 3 weeks like my orbi doesn’t allow me to use certain apps on my phone or allow my PS4 to connect to the internet. These devices work when I connect to my isp modem WiFi. Does anyone know a solution to this problem? I also tried a new setup. It used to work but now it doesn’t.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 3 of 4

@Jmilla74 wrote:
These devices work when I connect to my isp modem WiFi.

That the modem provides wifi suggests that it may also be a router. So the question about the modem from @Chuck_M may be important. Also, is the Orbi in router mode or access point mode?

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

When replacing bits of a network, you also need to tell the existing bits to forget any bad habits they picked up from the old hardware. The way to do this is probably to factory reset your Orbi, and the start the network in the recommended order, and set up the Orbi from scratch.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug the modem.
  • Turn off the modem router and computers.
  • Plug in the modem and turn it on. Wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the modem router and wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the computers.

You may have done all of this already, I can't tell from your message.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7